Quantcast

My laptop is going to die, and I need your help!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
So....I went to class tonight and I had put my laptop in my messenger bag. When I got home after class I didn't realize there was a soda in my bag, and a pencil had punched a really small hole in the can so it leaked out slowly and got on my laptop. When I realized what happened, I pulled out the laptop and dried it off and put it up to dry. Its been about six hours and I tried to boot and all that happens is the power light comes on, holds for a few seconds and then blinks several times before giving up (its an HP if the blinks happen to mean something). What are my options to save my laptop? Could someone fix it? Should I try and send it back to the factory to get fixed? Its a nice laptop and I would hate to have to junk it. I guess if worse came to worse I could try and get a similar configuration and transfer over my RAM and hardrive. Any help/guidance is appreciated

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Your motherboard in the notebook probably got shorted but other components may have also. Maybe homeowners insurance will cover it? You might be able to get spare parts from online somewhere but its hard to say what is wrong with it by your description alone.

Its not a good idea to turn on electronics that are wet - better to play it safe and make sure they are absolutely dry before turning them on (at least overnight - I would wait a day or two). You would probably have to take apart the case to make sure it dries well.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Why, with a piece of consumer electronics that is as fragile as a laptop is, would you have it knocking around in a messenger bag where it can so easily be damaged?
Sorry not helping I know. What kind of soda was it?;)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Why, with a piece of consumer electronics that is as fragile as a laptop is, would you have it knocking around in a messenger bag where it can so easily be damaged?
Sorry not helping I know. What kind of soda was it?;)
It was the damn Diet Coke! I'm going to write a letter complaining that their cans are to thin!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
My laptop survived, but the back light is now out on the monitor. Anyone know where I can get a CCFL tube for it?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I doubt you are going to be able to find the HP cathode light by itself. They sell cold cathode case light systems for about $15 or so but those are usually green/blue/red/UV. You can find some places with white but still I doubt it would fit.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I doubt you are going to be able to find the HP cathode light by itself. They sell cold cathode case light systems for about $15 or so but those are usually green/blue/red/UV. You can find some places with white but still I doubt it would fit.
That is of absolutely no help to me :p I’ve found several for Toshiba and Dell screens, so I’m holding out hope that I can find one that will fit my HP. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a new screen.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That is of absolutely no help to me :p I’ve found several for Toshiba and Dell screens, so I’m holding out hope that I can find one that will fit my HP. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a new screen.
Well just keep on trolling eBay and Google then...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Well just keep on trolling eBay and Google then...
This needs to be the "Tell ire what he wants to hear, not what reality is thread" :p

If I find a place selling the backlights, I'll post it up

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Wow, I found a place that sells everything.....from the inverter board to the backlight

http://www.lcdparts.net

I'm going to order the parts from them later today. I'll post some pics and step by step when I change the stuff out.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I found a complete screen to fix my laptop on ebay. I won the auction and it shipped today, so we'll see if that fixes things. $180 shipped, not too bad for a 17" laptop screen

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I got burned, what a bunch of sh!t. I get the screen and what they did was burnt monitor and try to fix it (which they didn't) and the cables were too short to actually mount it to my laptop. Now I'm down $200 and I'm going to have to try and recover my money. :plthumbsdown:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
if you used paypal you're only out time. they favor buyers to a fault
I did use Paypal. I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting to hear back. Have you filed a claim with Paypal before? These guys misrepresented the auction and then sent me a faulty screen, can't I claim it was fraudulent because they misrepresented the screen?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I did use Paypal. I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting to hear back. Have you filed a claim with Paypal before? These guys misrepresented the auction and then sent me a faulty screen, can't I claim it was fraudulent because they misrepresented the screen?
filed a claim 2X & as long as facts are on your side (sounds like they are), you're golden.

it's a pretty straight fwd process - they hold your hand all the way through

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
filed a claim 2X & as long as facts are on your side (sounds like they are), you're golden.

it's a pretty straight fwd process - they hold your hand all the way through
I opened a dispute, how long did you wait before you escalated it to a claim? Did the seller not respond to your dispute? Sorry, I'm a n00b

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
graciously, i gave it a week.
if it helps, check their feedback a few times a day to get a feel for how it will resolve for you.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
i had a similar problem, in my case the jerk never shipped my item.

paypal was really good to me though, i opened a claim after seller stopped responding to me and about a month later they credited my account with full funds. didn't have anyone call me, or email or anything--just filled out the form and that was it.

suppose it was a good thing too, since i was able to find the seller's resume online. i had their address, phone number, employer, etc....could have gotten real ugly if i had to get the money back myself!

out of curiosity, what size is this hp? i ask because my dv1040 special edition mobo just cracked so i upgraded to new model.
whole thing works good except for mobo----but it IS a 14" screen though.....pm me if we can work something out

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
out of curiosity, what size is this hp? i ask because my dv1040 special edition mobo just cracked so i upgraded to new model.
whole thing works good except for mobo----but it IS a 14" screen though.....pm me if we can work something out
Damn, I got my hopes up :( I have the 17" widescreen

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
damn dude---that's a HUGE laptop. i can't imagine carrying that thing around....or enjoying my favorite activity: looking at internet boobies while i poop. i upgraded to a 15" because no one had a good 14" available, and even that's a little big for what i want.

well, offer still stands for mine if you want to go that route....you'd still have to send it in to hp for the mobo, but otherwise it's an awesome machine.