Quantcast

My level of frustration with living in Canada increases

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=36c7ee4a-1730-4cdb-8ce2-dc4c310ba2f1&k=58095

There were a few reasons I moved back home again. Largely for my kids' benefit. But also, before I left for Seattle, cost of living was low, houses were cheap. I spent all my time there bitching about how crazy expensive everything was. "Just you wait", I told my wife. "We'll be able to afford a CASTLE in Montreal for THAT kind of money!" But now, housing hs gone through the roof. Cost of living is at least as expensive as Seattle, and taxes are completely insane, infrastructure is inadequte and actually crumbling to bits.

The only thing I had left to cling to was that at least university was (relatively) cheap...... but now that's shot to hell too........

mother humper....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Only you don't live under the mercy of a (complete) coke addict, religious zealot who likes to invade small countries!

Also, housing is still pretty mental here now, ya. It sucks as I am now in the market. My parents place has almost tripled in value over 7 years.

Not sure how US schools are cheaper tho. Average tuition at Concordia and McGill is 1600/semester CND. Average in state tuition at CU is around $4000usd/semester. They do 8 semesters, we do 6. Someone at Canwest cannot add.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
You've already got yer degree. Quit yer moanin,eh. I'm sure maple syrup is still cheaper here.

New Hampshire is really nice. Live cheap or die.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Da Peach said:
You've already got yer degree. Quit yer moanin,eh. I'm sure maple syrup is still cheaper here.

New Hampshire is really nice. Live cheap or die.
As well as hotdogs. I could not believe hotdogs cost like $3 when I moved to colorado. Now I am home with my 58c masterpieces of mustard and coleslaw.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Transcend said:
As well as hotdogs. I could not believe hotdogs cost like $3 when I moved to colorado. Now I am home with my 58c masterpieces of mustard and coleslaw.

But you have to admit...those $1.50 Sabrett dogs that the dude sold at the UMC were the effing dope show.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Pizza is better here too. If it's more expensive, so be it.

Besides, remeber that time at turdy ate when we got to ride while a bunch of hillbillies came to test out their new guns on that pile of garbage? WTF?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
That study looks like it only considers tuition. What about the fees at American schools? Not uncommon to have a tuition of $3000/ semester and fees of $10,000. Also does not take into account the private schools in the US which are an easy $30-40K/yr. Besides, the public universities in Canada are fairly decent, which is to say that it is hard to get out of one without being able to read - even if you are a varsity athlete.

It may be expensive to live in Montreal, but ITS MONTREAL!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
rigidhack said:

Montreal has no good mexican food....

And the "Montreal" thing becomes less important when you have very small kids. I no longer care that they have strip bars on every corner open until 3 am, staffed by super models, that allow full contact.

Ok....well I care. But I just can't do anything about it anymore.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
rigidhack said:
That study looks like it only considers tuition. What about the fees at American schools? Not uncommon to have a tuition of $3000/ semester and fees of $10,000. Also does not take into account the private schools in the US which are an easy $30-40K/yr. Besides, the public universities in Canada are fairly decent, which is to say that it is hard to get out of one without being able to read - even if you are a varsity athlete.

I've actually been around both, so I have a pretty good grasp of the fees and tuition. Education is way WAY cheaper here then in the US, be it private or state funded schools. The education I got in 3 years here was easily equal to what takes 4 years in the US, and possibly better in a few ways. I was lucky enough to have a super good faculty tho in both programs I was in, obviously, your mileage may vary from school to school.

As for the being able to read part...if you can't read and write, you wont graduate here thanks to new exit exams started within the last 4 years. There is a simple english exit test, if you fail it, you don't graduate and you have to do remedial english courses. :rofl:

I was a varsity athlete BTW, and am happy to say I can both read and write, in several languages. Apparently, I can also run really fast in a 200m circle.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MMike said:

And the "Montreal" thing becomes less important when you have very small kids. I no longer care that they have strip bars on every corner open until 3 am, staffed by super models, that allow full contact.

Ok....well I care. But I just can't do anything about it anymore.
The mexican food part saddens me, I miss Illegal Pete's.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
supersex is one of my most favorite places in the world. i haven't been to montreal since high school but it's looking like i'll be back up there in a couple of months for a bachelor party.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
dfinn said:
supersex is one of my most favorite places in the world. i haven't been to montreal since high school but it's looking like i'll be back up there in a couple of months for a bachelor party.
Supersex is for tourists...... Solid Gold is the place to be. That and Grand Prix.....

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Transcend said:
I've actually been around both, so I have a pretty good grasp of the fees and tuition. Education is way WAY cheaper here then in the US, be it private or state funded schools. The education I got in 3 years here was easily equal to what takes 4 years in the US, and possibly better in a few ways. I was lucky enough to have a super good faculty tho in both programs I was in, obviously, your mileage may vary from school to school.

As for the being able to read part...if you can't read and write, you wont graduate here thanks to new exit exams started within the last 4 years. There is a simple english exit test, if you fail it, you don't graduate and you have to do remedial english courses. :rofl:

I was a varsity athlete BTW, and am happy to say I can both read and write, in several languages. Apparently, I can also run really fast in a 200m circle.
Yep, varsity athlete myself.

Undergrad in Canada. Grad work in the US.

As an instructor in an American public university I have seen grades for an athlete in one of my classes "magically" improve once I recorded them.

America has the best and the worst of everything - you just need to know where to look.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
MMike said:
I knew you were going to say that...have a Shish.

And I can virtually see Solid Gold from my office BTW.

Did somebody say 5 à 7?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
rigidhack said:
As an instructor in an American public university I have seen grades for an athlete in one of my classes "magically" improve once I recorded them.
The program is very real, no matter what some schools would have you think. It really does depend on the sport though. Haven't really heard of any varsity golf guys being breezed through, a few of the track guys I saw first hand, however. Let's not even begin to talk about some of my boneheaded football player buddies though...:rolleyes:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Transcend said:
Only you don't live under the mercy of a (complete) coke addict, religious zealot who likes to invade small countries!

Also, housing is still pretty mental here now, ya. It sucks as I am now in the market. My parents place has almost tripled in value over 7 years.

Not sure how US schools are cheaper tho. Average tuition at Concordia and McGill is 1600/semester CND. Average in state tuition at CU is around $4000usd/semester. They do 8 semesters, we do 6. Someone at Canwest cannot add.
WINNER :trophy_br your observations are very astute!!!