Quantcast

My Life In the Bush of Ghosts...er, Cranksets

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
It all started with a crankset I found on BeyondBikes website. They had a great price but after reading all the horror stories on RM, I was reluctant to order from them. Hey, I’ll just price match the item on another site!

By the time you read this my quest for a price match on a new crankset has become all consuming. I never thought it would be so difficult. I’m starting to take this real personal and it’s now become a matter of principle.

Yes Mr. ____ , we will consider your request but we do require comprehensive testing for substance abuse before we can price match your item. And the names of your children? And their approximate net street value worth? With the principle thing said, I have compiled a short list of offenders who jerked me around in this ordeal.

Cambria Bicycle Outfitters- These nice folks accepted my price match request, I paid them and they took my money. A day later they sent me an e-mail saying that the order was cancelled because the price I had asked for was a black crankset and not the silver one that I had ordered. They didn’t try to contact me to make good, they just cancelled the order- over ten freakin’ dollars. The “Dear John” from Cambria did come with an actual person’s email address. I responsed, thanked the person and told him I was glad business was doing so well that they didn’t need mine.

Universal Cycles- Their price match request box states “We do our very best to match all legitimate prices. Just follow the steps below to receive your Price Match answer as quickly as possible. We respond within 1 minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.” Okay, three requests, no responses. Nada. At least have the balls to tell me no.

Next up, Speed Goat- They priced matched the item but calculated an extra $11 in the price match for the shipping that BeyondBikes would have charged since Speed Goat has free ground. I’m sorry, but that seems a little lame to me. Don’t advertise free shipping if you are going to backhandedly charge me for it.

Well, so much for the losers.

The winner? Greenfish! They replied with an e-mail saying they would be glad to match the price and supplied a toll free number. I called, placed the order and had a pleasant conversation with the sales person on the other end. All the aspects of the order were verified verbally so there was no confusion about what I was requesting and what I’ll receive. I’ve always had great service here in the past.

By attempting to spread some business around I got bit on this one. Persistence did pay off as I finally got what I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. It just shouldn’t have to be so damn hard though. I know we've all been there before, but I made a promise to pass this experience along.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Bought a fork a while back from Greenfish. Guy was VERY cool and knowledgeable on the phone.

Did you call Slippery Pig? :rofl:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
go-ride is pretty good about price matching too but sometimes they can be slow to ship

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Did you try Jenson? They have price matched several things for me very quickly and easily. And the service there has always been first rate!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
JohnE said:
Did you try Jenson? They have price matched several things for me very quickly and easily. And the service there has always been first rate!
Yeah, pricepoint is easy to work with too. Did you skip out on the two most reliable mailorder sources?:rofl:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
And as the time passed his persistance was awarded yet at the cost of missing his childrens youth, 5 seasons of M.A.S.H., and the invention of the microwave. With unkempt long hair and beard and a triumphant smile full of rotting teeth the consumer raises his fist knowing that the sacrifices are well worth getting the right deal. Fight the good fight o webbe buying soldier!

J

JRB

I have had great luck with Universal. I would just call though.

J

JRB

maxyedor said:
Greenfish is a strange place, they sell so much stuff bellow cost I figured they had to be a scam. Now I think they may just be bad buissnesmen. Oh well, have fun spinning them new cranks.
I've thought that. I wish I had bought the Magura FR tubeless wheels for $300 when they still had 20mm.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
loco said:
I have had great luck with Universal. I would just call though.
Same. Back when I had to order a seatpost I called him up about it. He did not have that post in stock and then told me that he would check around to all of his distributors to see if they could overnight it so I would have it in time for a race. I didn't end up getting the post from him, but it was his effort to try and get me a post that has brought me back.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
JohnE/BurlyShirley:

Jenson and PricePoint had the crankset in black only- I wanted silver. I generally deal with Pricepoint although Jenson has gone way beyond the call on straightening out several orders for me.

Skookum:

It took longer to write the rant at work than shopping for the crankset. I take it you work for/own a LBS.

Loco/PS88:

I didn't call because it was after hours and I was P.O'ed about the price match thing. I will try speaking with someone next time.

madbob:

Thanks for the tip.

One more note, the dude from Cambria responded back twice with clarification going the extra mile. The guy at Greenfish also spoke very highly of him.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I have ordered some stuff from greenfish before and was impressed.. If I need to order something, I would do it again