Quantcast

my liquid bike

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Couldn't agree more.
For me, the best way to work out cockpit size is to use 3 key measurements:
(1) bb height = where your feet are
(2) front wheel height + handle bar height = where your hands are.
You can then micro adjust this with front spacers and different stems.
So, for example, my Faction and Model C both have a 8.75" handle bar and both have exactly the same cockpit size in terms of feet to hands height.
Faction bb = 11.8, wheel size =22"
Model C bb = 13.76, wheel size = 24"

TJ from Oz

Chimp
May 21, 2011

Nice build cdavis
Just finished my BubbleGum Blue and thought I would post it up.
Love the old school chrome and reckon it works great with the blue.
Took it for the first ride today at my SP, loved it great ride and fantastic geo.
the 8" Slams work great too.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009

Nice build cdavis
Took it for the first ride today at my SP, loved it great ride and fantastic geo.
That looks so sweet. I always loved landing gear forks. I might go that route if I build a 24. How'd you think they will hold up jumping? Also I read somewhere else there might be some issues with pegs and grinds but I can't see the problem myself. Damn. That build is nice.

cdavis

Chimp
May 19, 2010
RVA

Nice build cdavis
Thats a sweet ride you got there. Chrome front ends are awesome.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
im 6'7" and really like 8" bars. will have to try a setup similar to 10" though
by the way... i decided the 10"s are too tall for serious riding / trails (nice for street cruising) ....

these look sick!

Odyssey Gary Young handlebar

$67.95

8.66" rise, 28" width, 12 degree backsweep, 4 degree upsweep, 1 lb 15.5 oz; lightweight 41-Thermal processed butted chromoly tubing is lifetime guaranteed

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6766

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle

WCH was (very) cool enough to loan my his prototype frame. :)

Did you guys have issues setting up your brakes? I had to add a bunch of washer to get the pad to hit the rim before the arms hit the seat tube.

That seat looks lame but it sure feels great on my ass. :D

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track

Did you guys have issues setting up your brakes? I had to add a bunch of washer to get the pad to hit the rim before the arms hit the seat tube.
That was an issue on the prototypes. For the production frame, we steepened the seatpost angle by 1/2 a degree and moved the brake mounts down a couple mm. I haven't heard of anybody having a problem on the new frames, although there may be certain brake/pad combinations that would require a few more spacers.

Issues like this are why you get prototypes! :thumb:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . I haven't heard of anybody having a problem on the new frames, although there may be certain brake/pad combinations that would require a few more spacers.
yep. zero problems on mine. my We The People "Salt" brand brakes went on perfect. the brake pads are close to the center of the slots too, so it's not like you have to do any weird angling with the pads to make it work.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Just got back from the dirt piles. :D STOOOOKKEEDD!!!
Seriously laughing in the air off every lip. Strait up clowning. :D:):D

TJ from Oz

Chimp
May 21, 2011
No probs on my build, just the standard issue with u brakes and having to cut down the brake mount bolts.other than that the Evo 2s work great.

TJ from Oz

Chimp
May 21, 2011
That looks so sweet. I always loved landing gear forks. I might go that route if I build a 24. How'd you think they will hold up jumping? Also I read somewhere else there might be some issues with pegs and grinds but I can't see the problem myself. Damn. That build is nice.
No problems so far, my experience with landing gear is that they are more than fine with jumping and as for pegs? yet to try any on a set. can anyone confirm peg issues with the Landing gears?

cdavis

Chimp
May 19, 2010
RVA
Only brake issue on mine is my fat aitken in the back hitting my brake arms. Solution was dont slam the wheel.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle

With this stem, a giant spacer and the Liquid bars my grips sit at 38.25 inches. With the stem inverted, no spacer and 8 inch slams, the bars sit at 38 3/8. Not sure why but the bike seems to ride better with the slams.

No idea why my girlfriends camera takes ****ty pics either....

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
With this stem, a giant spacer and the Liquid bars my grips sit at 38.25 inches. With the stem inverted, no spacer and 8 inch slams, the bars sit at 38 3/8. Not sure why but the bike seems to ride better with the slams.

No idea why my girlfriends camera takes ****ty pics either....
Pic with the Slams !

TJ from Oz

Chimp
May 21, 2011
Nice looking set in the background png!
What ratio are you guys running on your 24s? I have 28/12 and seems ok but a little light for cruising wondering if I should drop to 11?
ps Pauly......a 20? whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy LOL

cdavis

Chimp
May 19, 2010
RVA
Nice looking set in the background png!
What ratio are you guys running on your 24s? I have 28/12 and seems ok but a little light for cruising wondering if I should drop to 11?
ps Pauly......a 20? whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy LOL
24 - 10, its magical.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
only until you hear how many balls i haul with 23:9

that extra 3.77777 inches turns my new ratio into an orgasm

but hey, no hate. we got the sexiest frames ever

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
25/10. It's just a little lighter than I've been used to. Ran 25/11 on 26" wheels.
Works out pretty well though, gave me a good chainstay length with no halflink.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Traded the S&M Perfect 10's for some raw Standard Bykes 9"s (3 degree upsweep). eeees niiiice

Last edited:

24slayer

Chimp
Mar 26, 2011
redmond oregon
im about 5 foot 10 inches would a 22 tt liquid frame be to long and have any of you guys come from 26 dj bike and perfer this.I ride a 26 with rigids and all bmx parts I would like to try a 24 bmx because of the more aggressive geo and smaller wheels

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
im about 5 foot 10 inches would a 22 tt liquid frame be to long and have any of you guys come from 26 dj bike and perfer this.I ride a 26 with rigids and all bmx parts I would like to try a 24 bmx because of the more aggressive geo and smaller wheels
Personal preference... I like longer frames, some people like shorter frames.
Get a Liquid, do it NOW. You'll be glad you did.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Which 26" do you ride ?
I think the 22" Liquid would be ideal for your height.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm 5.7 or 5.8 and ride a 22.25. My front foot drags the tire sometimes when doing X-ups. I wouldn't want to ride anything shorter. This frame rules.