Quantcast

my liquid bike

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
in my opinion these are the best rim brakes money can buy. I've used V-brakes, U-brakes and cantilevers of different brands and prduct lines, and none had the stopping power of these, while still maintaining adequate modulation.
Despite being not being the easiest to setup, when you do it correctly there is virtually no maintainance, ever. I installed them on my previous ride and never had to adjust them until I put them on this bike, that's almost 3 years of riding and the only thing I ever did was turning the +/- knob on the lever from time to time, and they still feel the same. I doubt you can do that with any other rim brake (correct me if I'm wrong).

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
as upsetting as it is to know i could have some bomb hydro brakes, ive at least ridden enough this year to know my non-skidder brakes still grab enough to let me avoid the jump that broke my friends femur 3 weeks ago. time to stack a berm-to-hip next to that widowmaker

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
still the best 24" BMX in existence. . . . . .

.. . . . .that is all. . . .

Last edited:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
went to the nearby indoor bmx track tonight. got smoked by 50 yr old dudes like it was nothing, lol. anyhow i had the chance to swap bikes with a fella riding a model-c, felt very top heavy and cramped, just like most 20" bikes. my liquid was sweet, with my number plate and sweet new pedals (pictures incoming) only downfall is there is some serious hooking happening to the teeth of my 23t sprocket. too much torque! i put more crank rotations on my liquid tonight than i have since i built it up, lol

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
went to the nearby indoor bmx track tonight. got smoked by 50 yr old dudes like it was nothing, lol. anyhow i had the chance to swap bikes with a fella riding a model-c, felt very top heavy and cramped, just like most 20" bikes. my liquid was sweet, with my number plate and sweet new pedals (pictures incoming) only downfall is there is some serious hooking happening to the teeth of my 23t sprocket. too much torque! i put more crank rotations on my liquid tonight than i have since i built it up, lol
There's a reason racers like bigass chainrings!
Be careful, you're probably more likely to snap a chain with the tiny front ring, too.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Lookin' sweet, Erik! Nice number :cheers:

I actually just finished building up a new Liquid. I sold my old one complete to a friend, so I got to start from scratch. I love building a new ride. :D

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
hey jeremy i met a fella that you work with when i was at rays in milwaukee. said he works in mke but has worked with you a bunch. his name was jeff i think. he practically bombarded me right when i came in cuz he saw my bike locked up for a few hours before i got there.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
thats a dope build by the way jeremy! frame is my second choice next to the blue, and the murdered out build makes it bomb as fvck

oh and another thing about these new pedals, traction is best ever. as you start positioning your foot, it sits on the bearings/bushing humps and almost feels too slick, and away from the pins; gives you good mobility to find your proper footing before sinking into the pins. then when you put your full weight on them, BAM full locked traction, as well as inside-outside concave, which is the only concave you need on a pedal this thin.
classic concave is not necessary since this pedal is too thin to have any rollover force in the deadspots

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
hey jeremy i met a fella that you work with when i was at rays in milwaukee. said he works in mke but has worked with you a bunch. his name was jeff i think. he practically bombarded me right when i came in cuz he saw my bike locked up for a few hours before i got there.
Yeah, that was Jeff. He told me about that. He's a funny dude. I can believe that he bombarded you - sales guy. haha

Feb 24, 2011
My Liquid frame is shipping today! Most parts have been ordered… just need to call Dan’s Comp to order some custom wheels. I got the Plum Pearl Grey frame… my build is going to look pretty much identical to Cru Jones’ build.

I’m coming from MTB… currently riding dirt jumps and park on a Transition TOP. Last time I rode a 20 or 24 was 1988. I’m stoked about the Liquid build.

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
i got people who knew the guy i bought it from to talk him down in the price $150. they actually tried so hard and he finally did. i honestly thought i was going to get beat up last time i mentioned possibly selling the frame.

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
My Liquid frame is shipping today! Most parts have been ordered… just need to call Dan’s Comp to order some custom wheels. I got the Plum Pearl Grey frame… my build is going to look pretty much identical to Cru Jones’ build.

I’m coming from MTB… currently riding dirt jumps and park on a Transition TOP. Last time I rode a 20 or 24 was 1988. I’m stoked about the Liquid build.
Yeah Jay we're gonna shred some park at lunch this summer!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
even though i had thought about it before, this post over on cruiserrevolution made me think about what would it be like running bars even taller than 8.25"s on my Liquid.

Traditional cruiser bars: who needs ‘em?

http://cruiserrevolution.com/2011/03/01/traditional-cruiser-bars-who-needs-em/

well here it is. S&M Perfect 10's. i haven't ridden trails with them yet because my back is still fully jacked, but it has been great just cranking around the streets.

get this: the ratio of 10" bars to 24" wheels and the ratio of 8" bars to 20" wheels are both 0.4. interesting to think about as far as a 'proportionally' bigger bmx goes.

as far as whether these bars are too tall for my height.... when you're on your bike standing on the ground and lean up against your bars.... the grips are basically at pelvic bone level, which is the same for one of my shorter friends with his 5.75" S&M bars on his Challenger. this shht actually fits me !

comparison with DK Xenia (100mm travel fork, angle-rise stem some spacers and 1" bars). grip height from the ground comes out pretty close to the same. plus bb is roughly the same, 12.7 ish.

and sealclubber, it looks like you have an inch of spacers under your stem with your 8" bars.... seems like you could be rockin 9"s with the stem slammed...!

Last edited:

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
those 10s look ridiculous in an awesome way. im still feelin pretty good on my 8s. maybe ill get curious and try something higher, though i did notice a difference of a similar fashion when i put my 6mm thin pedals on. the only reason i have so many spacers is because the steer clamp on my stem is rather thin and all on top. maybe ill flip it over sometime and see how it feels

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I was just looking at the Liquids yesterday. Still would like to get one of those things. I just can't justify having to buy all the other parts I'd need.... :(

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
make it a project, a few parts at a time. nothing more satisfying than getting what you want over a long period of time. i bought all the parts for mine over winter, unfortunately for me i finished too soon and was left with a badass bike that i couldnt ride until the snow melted

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
I rode trails on monday on my WTP Avenue for maybe 6 hours and it was awesome!! I hadn't been able to ride in a few weeks so I figured it'd be a good way to ease back in. Went out today on my 20 and I felt squirelly as hell. This definitely helps solidify my decision to keep the 24 though. I do hope to upgrade to a Liquid set-up when I can.

cdavis

Chimp
May 19, 2010
RVA
cnc, ride report asap.

I think im just going to run some 8.25s with a slamed frontload on my liquid. Im rocking 875s with a topload on my 20.

tootall

Chimp
Apr 14, 2011
I bought a cruiser to start learning to jump on, but at 6'6" I felt like the bars were way way too low and I kept crashing over the bars. I ordered a 26" DJ bike today that I think will really help. CMC had also recommended I try some higher bars on the 24 and I'm really glad to see this thread for some more advice. Think I'm gonna try some 10" bars, can't imagine them being too high if he is using them. Should be fun to have both bikes to ride if I can get comfy on the 24.

at 5'8" i've been running standard bmx bars on my cruisers for as long as i can remember. i feel like 6" and under bars just make the bike feel like a land magnet. right now i'm running 7-7/8" bars, but would still contemplate a taller bar, but i don't know about a 10" bar...

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
I bought a cruiser to start learning to jump on, but at 6'6" I felt like the bars were way way too low and I kept crashing over the bars. I ordered a 26" DJ bike today that I think will really help. CMC had also recommended I try some higher bars on the 24 and I'm really glad to see this thread for some more advice. Think I'm gonna try some 10" bars, can't imagine them being too high if he is using them. Should be fun to have both bikes to ride if I can get comfy on the 24.
im 6'7" and really like 8" bars. will have to try a setup similar to 10" though

and wch, YES, sick build

tootall

Chimp
Apr 14, 2011
im 6'7" and really like 8" bars. will have to try a setup similar to 10" though

and wch, YES, sick build
I have no background riding BMX bikes, just mountain bikes so I'm sure bigger will be better and I can just get used to it from the beginning. The 24 will probably sit for a while though while I'm playing with the new DJ bike so I can kinda see what works on that then size the bars for the cruiser accordingly.

cdavis

Chimp
May 19, 2010
RVA
Finally got the new liquid built up. I was riding a 21.25 federal with a slammed topload and 8.75 bars. Running the 22.25 liquid with a slammed frontload and 8" bars. They feel identical when you sit on them.

This thing blows the 20" out of the water. SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!

the build. . . .

Frame: Liquid 22.25
Fork: Sunday 24.1
Bars: S&M Race xlt
Stem: Snafu Captain
Grips: Animal Edwin
Cranks: Primo Hollowbites
Pedals: JCPC's / trailmix
Chainwheel: Animal Vinnie Lite 24t
Headset: FBM
Brakes: BMX Union w/ monolever
Wheels: Quadrant rims on 10t V3 and Vandero 2
Tires: Aitken 2.25
Seat: Rogue Status pivotal
Seatpost: Animal

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Finally got the new liquid built up. I was riding a 21.25 federal with a slammed topload and 8.75 bars. Running the 22.25 liquid with a slammed frontload and 8" bars. They feel identical when you sit on them.

This thing blows the 20" out of the water. SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!
:thumb::thumb: looks really nice!