Quantcast

My Morewood Shova Lt Build

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Hey guys i go to Clemson and i'm going to be getting me one of those sweet Morewood Shova Lt's soon and i thought i would get some good advice on my build list before i put in the order.

Frame Large Shova Lt 2007
BB Truvativ Howitzer Team BB
Brakes Hayes HFX Mag V8
Cassette Sram PR970 Cassette 11-23
Chain SRAM PC990 Chain
Chain Guide E13 SRS 32-42T
Cranksets Hozfeller 1.1 170mm 36T
Derailleur Sram X.9 Rear Short
Fork Manitou Travis Tripple Ti Intrinsic 200mm
Grips Cane Creek Lock-On
Handle Bars Truvativ 1" Riser Bar (Whatever Richard Suggests)
Headset Cane Creek Double X
Pedals 5050 XX Pedal
Seat SDG I-Fly Black/Black Perf
Shifter Sram X.9 Rear Shifter
Rear Shock Fox DHX 5.0
Seat Post SDG I Beam Aluminum (30.9mm)
Stem Manitou Direct Mount
Tires Maxxis Minion DHF 26x2.5"
Wheelset Sun Single Track

One thing i've been thinking about is what size fork. I really want the triple travis fork bad but i'm not sure if i should go with the 7" or 8" version. The 8" would be nice but i'm afraid it will throw the geometry off too much.

This is a new name on here so thats why this is my first post

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Build looks great. You will be fine with ether the 7 or 8" fork. Are you looking at a 7" single Crown and a 8" dual Crown? If this is going to be your all arond bike I would think about the Single Crown.

My 2 cents.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Hey guys i go to Clemson and i'm going to be getting me one of those sweet Morewood Shova Lt's soon and i thought i would get some good advice on my build list before i put in the order.

Frame Large Shova Lt 2007
BB Truvativ Howitzer Team BB
Brakes Hayes HFX Mag V8
Cassette Sram PR970 Cassette 11-23
Chain SRAM PC990 Chain
Chain Guide E13 SRS 32-42T
Cranksets Hozfeller 1.1 170mm 36T
Derailleur Sram X.9 Rear Short
Fork Manitou Travis Tripple Ti Intrinsic 200mm
Grips Cane Creek Lock-On
Handle Bars Truvativ 1" Riser Bar (Whatever Richard Suggests)
Headset Cane Creek Double X
Pedals 5050 XX Pedal
Seat SDG I-Fly Black/Black Perf
Shifter Sram X.9 Rear Shifter
Rear Shock Fox DHX 5.0
Seat Post SDG I Beam Aluminum (30.9mm)
Stem Manitou Direct Mount
Tires Maxxis Minion DHF 26x2.5"
Wheelset Sun Single Track

One thing i've been thinking about is what size fork. I really want the triple travis fork bad but i'm not sure if i should go with the 7" or 8" version. The 8" would be nice but i'm afraid it will throw the geometry off too much.

This is a new name on here so thats why this is my first post
Get the formula brakes they will be well worth it!

Be sure to talk to Matt about that fork after this weekend. Given your options on that spread sheet I would go with something else.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I'm definitely looking at getting a dual crown regardless of whether its a 7 or 8 inch travel fork. I havent had a dual crown yet so a new dh/fr bike is the perfect opportunity. Richard said there was some dependability issues with the Travis right now and he suggested a Totem but i'm really looking for a dual crown even though the totem is a nice fork.

As for the brakes, those formulas look cool but i hadnt heard about them before i saw Matt's build list. They look real nice but i just assumed that it would be easier to find stuff for the Hayes (the brake mounts and new pads and stuff) I'll look into them more.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Ahhh did Richard say RS is producing totems again? IF you dont mind getting most of your parts off the internet the formulas will be great. Both Matt and I are running them so you wont be the only one in that boat.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
You said you wanted a DC just because you've never tried one before. Well that would have been a valid reason 5 years ago but not any more. Single crowns are much more versatile, just as stiff, and just as reliable now. IMO the only reason to run a DC now is for DH racing. That's a FR bike. IMO you should get a Totem or 66. Any way you look at it there are lots of better forks than Manitou. Not to mention Manitou's kinda on the rocks right now and could be trouble.

Personally I hate Hayes. Go for Avid or Formula. It's not hard at all to find parts for either. They also feel 10 times better.

Get a Holzfeller OCT if you can afford it. They kick @ss.

The one thing I can't emphasize enough is DO NOT get 5050XXs. I have two pairs and they SUCK. I love Crank Brothers and if anything goes wrong with them they will take care of you but those pedals just flat scare me. They flex and creak even if the plate screws are tight. You can actually feel them flex when you push your feet into them. They have very poor grip even with the set screws instead of pins. I also managed to bend a spindle, demolish the bearings, and take a chunk out of the body shouldering a tree after a fairly small drop. They did replace them though. These days they are my back-up pedals only.

Personally I prefer the M cage X.9. The short cage is plastic, weaker, and can't be bent back.

Single Tracks are pretty weak and flat-spot easy. Save yourself some trouble and get some outlaws. They are much stronger, more durable, and lighter.

Get the 3C Minions. I'm rocking them right now and they're sick.

If you ride trails much the I-Beam is really stiff. A Thompson/WTB combo is a lot more comfortable.

If you only plan on using a 36t get an STS for more clearance.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Don't get 5050xx, I've heard nothing but complaints about them.

If you can afford it, go with Formula Brakes. The Oros are the best brakes I've ever run, there was never the slightest hint of brake fade and they are much more comfortable when 1 finger braking than Hayes. After using the Formulas I will never ever go back to Hayes. Also, Richard will provide all the correct adapters for the Formula Brakes.

You might want to get a 38 chainring, I'm not sure where you are going to be riding usually, but at Wisp this weekend I was topping out my 36:12 gearing on certain parts of the course. I could have definitely used a 38T ring.

How is it that you go to Clemson, mountain bike, you're getting a Morewood, and I don't know you?

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Lose the travis....totem, 66, 36, 40, boxxer...basically anything but the travis will save you some trouble. Really though, you go to clemson, get a single crown. I sometimes have trouble finding the true practicality of my full-on DH bike....and I live in the mountains.

I'd get saint brakes, better than hayes or avid.

Consider an LG1 instead of the srs if you want...it's lighter

I'd consider a cane creek double barrel shock if the cost doesn't put it out of the question.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
If the totem production line is back up I say get the totem, otherwise the 66 will do nice, Im loving mine except for the pesky ATA cart winding down.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I'm going with pretty much everything i put in the first spec list except for a few changes.
1. i'm keeping the triple ti travis but going with the 180mm instead of 200mm in order to keep my geometry spot on and keep a smaller wheelbase for tighter maneuverability
2. i'm changing up the brakes. dropping the hayes mags for formula oros front and rear to give those a shot since they've gotten good reviews.
3. i'm ditching the cane creek pedals since they've gotten sucky reviews here on rm and i'm just going to pick up some other pedals later on. i'm really not particular about my pedals anyway as long as they grip when i need them to.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Right right.. good call on the correction. i'm ditching the crank brothers pedals.. i was thinking about the cane creek grips i'm getting when i wrote the post.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
So i've got one last thing i kind of need to clear up. i have two options for cassette/derailleur combos
1. 11-24 cassette w/ sram x9 short cage
2. 11-36 cassette w/ sram x9 med cag

Which one should i go with?

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
There's not any 11-24t 11-36t high-end cassettes on the market as far as I know. Maybe you mean 11-23t and 11-34t.

I like 11-32t. If all you're doing is DH then 11-23t is fine. If you have to pedal much that's a steep combo.

You'd probably be fine with a short cage regardless but the M cage is tougher.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Yeah i'm pretty sure i was making up numbers as far as the cassettes go but i know it was close. i believe i'm going with the 11-32 like you suggested with the medium cage. i will be doing some dh racing this fall but i also want to be able to ride this beast on other trails too. thanks for the help

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
i run a 11-23 with a 34t chainring on an lg1 and coudlnt be happier, its a lighter setup, more clearance, and you get close to the same ratios you would with bigger chainrings

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
i honestly still dont know which cassette i should go with. I'm going to be doing some freeride/dh/ and an occasional xc (with a few xc friends) can someone give me a basic idea of what principals each cassette would be good for? (dh to xc) i would really appreciate that a bunch. this is the last part i need to get worked out on my bike order

bullitridden

Chimp
Nov 26, 2006
Finished Climpson in 95. Just bought a Shova LT from Richard myself (Oct. 2011) (small werld :). Have a 2011 Totem RC2 DH coil on the way now putting my 180mm Domain on the shelf to eventually lower the travel to 115mm for my Kona DJ/ urban bike. I haven't been to Issaqueena in almost 1 yr. - lookin fwd to it soon! Perhaps we'll see you there... I also would AVOID the Crank Bros. pedals (CRAP). For another $40 you can get a set of Straitlines & I ASSURE you, YOU WILL/ WOULD BE PLEASED. If I'm too late on the Manipoo fork, I woulda suggested something else too (obviously:)).