Quantcast

My Morning commute today!!

splat

Nam I am
Woke up to about an inch to 2 inche os sleet.
but the plow had just gone down our rode so no biggie . I decide to take my Rocky Mt today because it has teh studded snow tires on it.

overall most of the roads were in good shape , this is mostly what I rode .

Made a Stop to take this picture for Ocron on ride foto

While I was ther eI took my Bike leaning against the cemetary wall

Rut ro raggy!!! this rode had had nothing done to it !! WORK WORK WORK!! I made it through it , but wow the legs were burning !

Chug a chug a chug a chuga choo chooo

the trains keep going

The Mass Pike ( I-90 ) was in better shape than I thought it would be

and into the office , the view from the 4th floor of our building

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
HA - yah, roads where there have been no cars to compact it or anything are rough. Sometimes I just spin and spin and barely move! Nice job Splat!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You need one of those Surly snow bikes. There is someone around here with one, he was tearing it up on our .25" of snow

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
I just closed my office early and sent everyone home. The secondary roads are seriously ridiculous. Driving home there was a Geo Tracker basically doing donuts trying to drive on a flat straight away, then again he probably has the same problem in good weather as well.....

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I just closed my office early and sent everyone home. The secondary roads are seriously ridiculous. Driving home there was a Geo Tracker basically doing donuts trying to drive on a flat straight away, then again he probably has the same problem in good weather as well.....
AHAHAHAHA - I am seriously surprised what some people attempt to drive in the winter.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I live in a desert and haven't ridden in snow since I was a kid, but this doesn't seem like it would be tough:

I do applaude you for riding in that weather though. :clapping:

splat

Nam I am
Well I scooted out early for teh ride home.

Not sure what i was thinking , I can cut a corner and knock off about 2 miles and One nasty Climb and a Very busy road , by going off road for about 1/2 mile. I do this normally when I ride in with the mt bike, and have been for the last several weeks , with little or no snow on them. not 5 inches of Sugar Snow .

it was a trudge fest !!!

when I got to the road , I have to walk up this stupid steep hill ( about 30 foot climb/hike ) and hop over the gaurd rail. As I pick up the bike to throw it over the rail I notice my Chain !

I don't know what held it together and why it didn't snap out right . well I tried to fix it , but it wasn't going well, and My fingers were getting very cold , so I decided just to ride it as it was , but Take it easy. it was clunking and jamminig, I knew it would not make it I went about Mile and a half when it snapped , at least My fingers had a change to warm up. so I fixxed the Chain, ( cold fingers again. ) and off I went , I think the chain may still have a bent link so I'm just going to replace it. it needs it any way.

But the roads in Ash land were in Awesome shape!
here is a friend coming he other way

Still in ashland I see another

Hit Hopking ton and This is the same road ( from the other side ) as this morning stiull untouched , fortunatly many cars had been doen it , and after that little rise it is basically down hill so I just cruised down a tire rut.

Over all the roads in Hopkinton Sucked!!

this is the same angle of the same road from this morning , looks pretty much the same.

and from here on about 1 1/2 mile home , it appeared the plow had done the other side of the road , but not teh side I was on. So I just rode on the wrong side of the road .

here is the victim of a snow plow that got too close.

Home , and Why HAsn't my Son shovled out the driveway ?

Guess I'll get out the snow blower later

crashdwn22

Chimp
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah, I'm up in CNY right now (well, i go to school here) and I don't think I could go out even with studded tires...I'd lose my bike in in all this powder!

splat

Nam I am
Well Today was a whole different story ! it was COLD !!!

and the roads well they weren't a lot better .

I always Like this Causeway

Hey teh sun is out ans I can see my Shadow . Hopkinton still cleans there roads like crap!

well on one of teh busier roads ( going over the pike ) its pretty Clear

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Wow, looks like fun! Or something....

I just checked my alma mater's webpage (Middlebury College in VT). Classes cancelled due to snow. That NEVER happened when I was there. It must be nutty up there.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I was watching the news last night and some of the DOT crews were saying they left a little snow on the pavement to actually increase traction around these parts, because if they cleared the roads down to the pavement the sleet would have caused them to be big giant skating rinks essentially. With a little bit of snow on the roads, the sleet actually froze on top of the snow rather than the pavement. Makes a bit of sense to me.

You are a madman splat (and I mean that in a good way) did you take the Rocky Mountain again this a.m?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was watching the news last night and some of the DOT crews were saying they left a little snow on the pavement to actually increase traction around these parts, because if they cleared the roads down to the pavement the sleet would have caused them to be big giant skating rinks essentially. With a little bit of snow on the roads, the sleet actually froze on top of the snow rather than the pavement. Makes a bit of sense to me.

You are a madman splat (and I mean that in a good way) did you take the Rocky Mountain again this a.m?
In my days up in the great white north they would only totaly clear the major roads. All the rest had a few inches of packed snow with a little gravel on top for traction, work well.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
You sir are amazing.
Yes ... well here at work we have other words we used to describe Splat ...
Such as ...
"Did you see that F'n idiot go by the window on a bicycle?!"
or ..
"OK John .... we don't care how much F'n gas you're savin and we're not!"
or
"Gee ... what did you do this weekend John .... could it be bike riding???"

I kid .... Ole Splat knows he's the reason for a lot of the dum things I do ... certainly one of my heroes. :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Such as ...
or ..
or

I kid .... Ole Splat knows he's the reason for a lot of the dum things I do ... certainly one of my heroes. :D
Actually that was exactly what I was thinking.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Such as ...
or ..
or

Every bike commuter gets treated like that. I told someone today I rode 40 miles back to SF, and she acted like that was totally impossible.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Such as ...
or ..
or
Are you going to the Cape Sunday to ride Otis with us? :confused:

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
Hi Steve,
Unfortunately not yet ... I'm in NH this weekend.
Work & skiing.

I'm hoping to be ride ready the following weekend.

I also have your bike all cleanup & ready to return.
Thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I've stopped telling people I bike into work because I get the "you are an idiot" stares while pouring coffee.

The Ito
I am writing an essay about the most vulnerable time for a cyclist is not doing a big drop or hitting a corner at 25mph, but when you show up to work and your co-workers who last rode a bike 20 years ago see you.