Total Time: 41 minutes
Total Climbing: 1 mile, 480'
Average Speed: 14.6 mph
Top Speed: 49.3mph

All done on my hardtail with 1.5 slicks

Details:
1st Leg: all down hill - 1.8 miles, 975'
2nd Leg: rolling road - 4.9 miles, no significant elevation change
3rd Leg: 2 short climbs - first climb is .7 miles, 290' - progressive hill... the further you go, the steeper it gets - second climb is .3 miles, 190', also progressive
4th Leg: all downhill - 1.8 miles, 511'

My ride home should be just the opposite... so now I get to climb up those big hills :rolleyes:... total climbing should be something like 3.6 miles and 1486' :dead:

Since a few of you were posting this last week, the fastest I could spin and still keep resistance at the cranks was 41.2mph. After that, I couldn't keep up.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
Damn dude, how the heck do you hit 49.3 on an MTB? I can't hit that on my road bike on a five mile long downhill.
and
jacksonpt said:
1st Leg: all down hill - 1.8 miles, 975'
it's steeper at the top and starts to level out as you work your way down. It's going to be a gruesome climb, but riding down it is super fast.

I should also add, that all distances and speeds are assuming my cyclocomputer is setup right. It's the first time I've really used it, so... Just doing a quick logic check in my mind... the distances are right based on the odometer in my truck, so I've got to think that it's setup properly and that the numbers are correct.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I Are Baboon said:
Damn dude, how the heck do you hit 49.3 on an MTB? I can't hit that on my road bike on a five mile long downhill.
I think the fastest my younger brother has reached on his road bike was 53 doing the Triple Bypass in CO. No thanks, you roadies are nuts.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I agree 49.3 is freakin fast............I keep my cyclometer in scan mode and that damn 42 (top speed) has been mocking me for weeks

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
stevew said:
I think the fastest my younger brother has reached on his road bike was 53 doing the Triple Bypass in CO. No thanks, you roadies are nuts.
i hit 58.73 :heart: coming off skyline (a road out in VA that climbs up and over one of the mtns on the blue ridge), one day i honestly passed 3 cars i swear on my life about that, and they wherent the least bit happy at all!!!

after i hit a pretty rought pot hole and realized how fast i was going that when the fear actaully set in a little but i didnt slow down a bit at all, and didnt stop cranking the whole way down!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
hooples3 said:
49?? im not sure my car goes that fast!!!!!
lol... I only go 40-45 down the hill in my truck.

As I get more comfy on the bike and with the hill I'm sure I'll pick up speed. 55mph is not out of the question.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
stevew said:
I've hit 54 on my mtb on the road. going down some mountain road in Maine. it was super steep and slightly windy, then there was a long straightaway. my dad was following me in the car (i was 14) clocking speed.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
those are some scary fast speeds to be going on a bike, especially in light of that news that douglas posted about the guy dying from a tire blowout.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I Are Baboon said:
I've hit 53 on my old Rockhopper with a slight tail wind and almost bald Velociraptors pumped up to 60psi.
:)

I passed my friend who was on his road bike. Then a car. Then another.

Luckily I remembered the stop sign a 1/4 mile down the hill.
;)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My morning commute:

6:38 AM - GGT 80 southbound bus leaving Santa Rosa transit mall
7:52 AM - arrive bus stop in Novato, transfer to carpool
8:30 AM - arrive at work in Richmond

Or, if I there is no carpool available:

5:50 AM - GGT 80 southbound bus leaving Santa Rosa transit mall
7:25 AM - arrive San Rafael transit mall
7:35 AM - GGT 42 east leaving San Rafael transit mall
8:05 AM - arrive Richmond BART station
8:10 AM - BART southbound Fremont train
8:20 AM - Arrive El Cerrito BART station
8:30 AM - Arrive at work.

That's if everything runs on time and no tranfer busses are missed.

I've spent up to 7 hours in one day on a round trip commute.

:(

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Smelly said:
I've hit 54 on my mtb on the road.
I hit 50-something (I can't really remember what the computer said) once on a trail in the Denver area on a rigid Giant. It was packed doubletrack - there are a couple switchbacks followed by a short *STEEP* pitch where I presume I hit the top speed.

Of course, I was in my early twenties and invincible at the time. :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
SkaredShtles said:
I was in my early twenties and invincible at the time. :rolleyes:

-S.S.-
eh its odd how u tend to take less risk as u get older, wonder if its memories of your self getting hurt or thoose of other people getting hurt?