Quantcast

My Name Is Westy And I Am a BikeAholic

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Been thinking about a new XC race bike and finally pulled the trigger on this hot little number. I've considered Turners in the past but I didn't want to get a bike with an Ellsworth copycat suspension. When Turner finally came out with an original suspension design I was excited. The new TNT suspension appealed to me, I love neutralizing my torque. But 4 out of 5 E-engineers agree that such a design would cause me to die a horrible prolonged death from brake jack. Therefore I opted for the vee brakes. The vee brakes are mounted on the seat stays eliminating brake jack actually making me go faster when I try to slow down. Best thing about it is it comes in a cool root beer color. This thing is pure sex, local laws require me to put pasties on it when in the same building where alcohol is being served.

Seriously though. This is a replacement for my old Superlight frame. What a difference a few minor changes in the geometry make. Climbs great and at least on the trails I rode today I feel much more confident on descents. It bobs a little more under hard pedalling than the old Superlight but with a lower pivot that is to be expected. I guess the payoff would be less pedal feedback but I never really saw that as a problem. Of course I can just flip the lever on the RP3 if on a long climb but I prefer to just set and forget my suspension.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
nice frame, nice bike, man if I wasn't addicted to 29" steel single speeds I'd hve a bike like that......

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
HELLO WESTY I am also a bikeaholic...:cool: but, I approve of the new steed!!!:thumb: it is purty!!! keep us posted on your review of the thing!!! and how it rides..:clue:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
That thing is sweet. I should have come down and ridden with you yesterday. Instead I went up to the shed and strained/sprained my wrist in a fall on Evolution. (joined a long list of names with injuries on that trail)

Hopefully it's not bad and I'll be back on the bike by next weekend. I'm trying to keep it iced and wrapped, but it sure is a nice shade of blue. (And I can't type worth sh!t)

Sweet ride anyhow, If I can ride, I think we're heading out to the furnace next weekend. Maybe Walnut Creek the weekend after. Get out there and ride that beauty, the weather looks nice.

Oh, and I too am a bikeaholic.

Feb 13, 2006
Westy said:
Been thinking about a new XC race bike and finally pulled the trigger on this hot little number. I've considered Turners in the past but I didn't want to get a bike with an Ellsworth copycat suspension. When Turner finally came out with an original suspension design I was excited. The new TNT suspension appealed to me, I love neutralizing my torque. But 4 out of 5 E-engineers agree that such a design would cause me to die a horrible prolonged death from brake jack. Therefore I opted for the vee brakes. The vee brakes are mounted on the seat stays eliminating brake jack actually making me go faster when I try to slow down. Best thing about it is it comes in a cool root beer color. This thing is pure sex, local laws require me to put pasties on it when in the same building where alcohol is being served.
dang if that isn't the greatest imitation of a Turner Homer post ever posted.:cool:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
particle bored said:
dang if that isn't the greatest imitation of a Turner Homer post ever posted.:cool:

Imitation? I'm insulted. I came to those conclusions after hours and hours of researching marketing statements, analysis of electronic images and pouring over volumes of speculation.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
peter6061 said:
That thing is sweet. I should have come down and ridden with you yesterday. Instead I went up to the shed and strained/sprained my wrist in a fall on Evolution. (joined a long list of names with injuries on that trail)

Hopefully it's not bad and I'll be back on the bike by next weekend. I'm trying to keep it iced and wrapped, but it sure is a nice shade of blue. (And I can't type worth sh!t)

Sweet ride anyhow, If I can ride, I think we're heading out to the furnace next weekend. Maybe Walnut Creek the weekend after. Get out there and ride that beauty, the weather looks nice.

Oh, and I too am a bikeaholic.

Heal up man! Spring is upon us.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
Imitation? I'm insulted. I came to those conclusions after hours and hours of researching marketing statements, analysis of electronic images and pouring over volumes of speculation.
dood nice bike! didnt we just have a conversation recently where you stated "i will probably just replace my SL with another SL". the world seemed to kind of shift off kilter just a little when i read your post.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
dood nice bike! didnt we just have a conversation recently where you stated "i will probably just replace my SL with another SL". the world seemed to kind of shift off kilter just a little when i read your post.
That was the original plan but: The SL was out of commision for a few months meanwhile I rode my 575 all the time. Once I got back on the SL there were a few things that became obvious. I wanted a bike with less twitchy handling, stiffer rear end and a higher BB. Funny thing is that if the Flux continues to feel the way it did yesterday day the 575 may be heading out the door. It may have just been new bike giddiness but the bike made felt better down hill, over the big bumps and begged to be launched off things, exactly what I got the Yeti for. Once I get more saddle time I'll know for sure.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If we ride in VA together, Westy, I'm tying a VERY large weight to that thing before we start.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Grant me the serenity, to accept the bikeys i cannot change, the courage to change the bikeys i can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Congrats on the new, time to christen that sucker.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
peter6061 said:

Really? whats it like to get injured on that trail....... I have no idea :D

Hope you heal up quick man, I know what its like, belive me!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Westy said:
Heal up man! Spring is upon us.
Thanks, man.
BigMike said:
Really? whats it like to get injured on that trail....... I have no idea

Hope you heal up quick man, I know what its like, belive me!
Thanks. And I remember from the E race a year or so ago with you just standing around taking pics. The whole time afterwards I kept thinking, "how did we used to ride/race this trail fast?" Oh yeah, I was on a 'bigger' bike.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Westy,... now back to the original programming.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well I've got a good 20 hours in on the Flux and thought I'd give an update and a bump. I have to say I really really like this bike. My riding style has changed a bit over the years and where I used to want a bike with very quick handling the flux give me a little more stable stable ride that I need now. The initial harshness in the suspension has gone away, I think the bushings just needed breaking in. The only nitpick I can find is that the top tube is so low I need an incredibly long seatpost. Had to order a Thomson 410mm and there is only a few mm to go before I extend it too far. Stand over is good but this could be a little too much.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
Well I've got a good 20 hours in on the Flux and thought I'd give an update and a bump.
Are you gonna take a b-day ride? :thumb:
<snip> I need an incredibly long seatpost. Had to order a Thomson 410mm and there is only a few mm to go before I extend it too far. Stand over is good but this could be a little too much.
Boy am I with you there. :think: :p

J

JRB

If by bikeaholic you mean asshole. I agree. :D

Bummer you bought a new post. I'll bet I have one to trade. :(