Quantcast

my name says it all....

cantaffordit

Chimp
Sep 5, 2005
alright ive been riding for a while doing some trails and stuff. i want to move up to a downhil/freeride bike. but i cant afford some 3000 dollar bike nor 2000. what id the best bike for 1000 and under. thanks

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Wow, better start checking the Buy/Sell Forum or the classifieds. You can sometimes find an awesome deal in there. Finding a new FR /DH bike for that price will be hard.

cantaffordit

Chimp
Sep 5, 2005
see im thinkin about getting the specialized hardrock with disk brakes then for christmas ask for manitou sherman slider plus forks then save up for like a big hit fsr frame or somthing. do you think that would work???

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I wouldnt recommend a big fork like the Slider on a Hardrock. That might void your warrenty. I would say go with a used Full Susy from the Buy/ Sell forum. Go for that SC Bullit a couple of posts up.

cantaffordit

Chimp
Sep 5, 2005
but hear me out. what if i got the forks but didnt put them on then save up for the frame??? what is the best but cheapest downhill frame??? preferable under 800 bucks.

cantaffordit

Chimp
Sep 5, 2005
ive seen one at my local bike shop for like 700. so yes there out there. im not talikn top of the line crazy stuff here im talkin a frame that can get me down the mountain with a few good sized drops.

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
Find a bike shop in your area that demo's a bike that you'd like to own, then this fall when they dump there demo's you'll be able to pick up that bike at a great price. That's what I did last December when I bought my Kona Stinky for less than a grand.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
cantaffordit said:
do you think that manitou sherman sliders would work on my hardrock???
NOOO. Okay so here it is plain and straight. There are certain hardtails out there that can take a big fork because they are made for that. The Hardrock isnt made for a 7 inch fork. It will void your warrenty and cause the bike to suck at steering and possibly crack your head tube.

How old are you? If you are young and are still growing, save you money and wait. Or just buy a used bike. Or even better, get a job at a bike shop and earn your prodeal.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
a hard rock defintly cant handle a sherman slider like rpk said lol. why dont u just buy that bike that was in the buy sell fourm that drop showed you it is the best bike i think you will ever buy for 600 dollars. then if you want u can put a sherman slider on that :D

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I built a stinky 9 with a shiver and reasonably good parts for only 1,500. Of course I got a ridiculously good deal on the frame and shock.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If you want new supergo or goride.com have iron horse 7point bikes. THey have 7 inches in the back. The cheapest is a 7.3 for about $1500.

If you are just getting into riding where you jump off stuff and do some downhill. I would recomend a hardtail with a 5" or 6" fork. A hardtail teaches you to land right and makes you a much better rider, especialy when you get to full supension. Here are some companies to loook at : azonic, specialized p seires, kona, giant, etc.

You can get a specialized p2 for $500 new.

Or, if you really want full suspension, you would have to get a used bike if you want to spend under $1000. here are some bikes : kona stinky, santa cruz bullit, iron horse sgs, .... YOu would have to look hard for these bikes, even used under $1000.

Mar 7, 2005
If you want a good start on a good bike check this out in the buy/sell forum.
Kona Stinky DeeLux w/Marz 03' Jr. T + Extras

cantaffordit

Chimp
Sep 5, 2005
are the iron horse yakuza good bikes... can i make it down the mountain with some fairly large jumps in one peice??? do the sliders fit on that beast??

cantaffordit

Chimp
Sep 5, 2005
im sooooooo buyin a yakuza anki.... it said the msrp is only $900 bucks and right know i can get it for 5 somthin!!!.... the only problem is i only have $250.ahahaha im gonna sell my xr50 or somthing.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Look closer, the aniki has 24" wheels, it's really built for younger riders, anybody older than about 14 should be ridding a bike with 26" wheels. They carry speed better, roll faster and you have far more tire choices.

Any of the bikes Go-Ride sells should be capable of getting you down the mountain, they aren't like other shops, they really pick and choose the stuff they'll sell. Shopping the end of the season is great because you can find really good deals, unfortunately the sizes available can be pretty dissapointing, usually all that's left in another month are the really small frames. If you're lookin' to buy the sooner the better.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
cantaffordit said:
are the iron horse yakuza good bikes... can i make it down the mountain with some fairly large jumps in one peice??? do the sliders fit on that beast??
What is your obsession with the Manitou Sherman Slider. Ride the fork that comes on the bike until it breaks. And then start to look at fork options. There are better forks out there for the same price as the slider that might give you more features.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Buy something from a used/for sale forum......that's where you'll find the best deal.

That Bullit listed has crap wheels and basically a 3 piece long travel xc fork......stay away....

Also Stay away from thoose low-end IH bikes.....they K-Mart quality unlike the Sunday liine-up....just because Go-Ride sells means nothing.....

Buy used, wait about 2 months the forums will be flooded with 1-2 year old high-end bikes.....

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
cantaffordit said:
im sooooooo buyin a yakuza anki.... it said the msrp is only $900 bucks and right know i can get it for 5 somthin!!!.... the only problem is i only have $250.ahahaha im gonna sell my xr50 or somthing.
check supergo they might have a coupon for it too.. and yes the slider will work in it.

heres a deal on a slider that you want to dry hump so badly http://www.ridemonkey.com/market/detail.php?recKey=107