Quantcast

My Neighbor just got a Wheelman! :D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
There was a post about these things quite awhile ago.

http://www.wheelman.com.au/

My Neighbor just got one off Ebay, and let me tell you, that thing is hard as crap to ride! I tried for about 15 minutes, and the furthest I got was about 15'.

He can ride it pretty well, but its crazy hard to balance on. I'll try and get some pictures of it, but no promises :)

I DID however figure out how the wheels work. Its basically a Super strong rim that comes in and is rounded on the inside, kind of like a Mavic disc rim. There are 4 rollers that are molded to the shape of the rim and support the wheel and keep it in its place. The drive mechinism is also really interesting. It sits right on the outside of the backwheel and has a wheel with bars that get inbetween the treads and drives it by the tread. Its kinda hard to explain, I'll try and think of a better way.

Anyway, the thing is pretty cool, and he got it for $350 off Ebay.

buildyourown said:
No spinning wheel mass = no gyroscope = really hard to balance.
:confused: Huh? It has wheels, they spin, they have mass...

Jeremy R said:
Do people really dress up like that in 2006?
I thought that was only a "King of the Hill" episode.
Jeez, that belongs in the same league with Trekkies and
Urban Cowboys.:help:
And mountain bikers
and roadies
and snowboarders
etc...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Jeremy R said:
Do people really dress up like that in 2006?
I thought that was only a "King of the Hill" episode.
Jeez, that belongs in the same league with Trekkies and
Urban Cowboys.:help:
Don't knock it till you try it. Not only that but the people I have met through medieval recreation are the most honest, intelligent and nicest people I have ever met. You can probably learn a few things from them.
stosh said:
Yeah he totally had you there man!!

Sorry but I had to laugh!!
Yeah, I got burned on that one! Way funny. :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ciaran said:
Don't knock it till you try it. Not only that but the people I have met through medieval recreation are the most honest, intelligent and nicest people I have ever met. You can probably learn a few things from them.

Yeah, I got burned on that one! Way funny. :thumb:
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK ALEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ciaran said:
Ya know I'm just clowning ya brother. Unintended derail...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Ciaran,

Have you ever gone "medieval" on anyone's ass? I've always heard the expression but have never actually known anyone who as actually followed through. Do you read them excerpts from Canterbury Tales or what? How does it work exactly?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
johnbryanpeters said:
And mountain bikers
and roadies
and snowboarders
etc...
That might very well be the worst analogy I have ever heard.

Biking and Snowboarding are Sports that people do, and in doing so
they wear protective gear like helmets that keep their brains from being splattered on a rock.

How is that similar to a grown man putting on panty hose, and pretending he is living in another era.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Jeremy R said:
How is that similar to a grown man putting on panty hose, and pretending he is living in another era.

How about those single speed cultists that ride around wearing knickers a la Oliver Twist?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Ciaran said:
Pluse the scenery is nice

Jeremy R said:

they wear protective gear like helmets that keep their brains from being splattered on a rock.

Panty hose, lycra, whatever. Tribal costumes. You do it, I do it. I see people wearing spotless armor when riding that will never get a scratch because the rider is too timid. We wear silly jerseys, cargo pants, decals on bikes, yada-ya, all of which will look equivalently peculiar when some small amount of time has gone by. I shouldn't rag on another's dress, even the metros, because one style is not necessarily more idiotic than another.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Jeremy R said:

Tell ya what... come on out to a fighter practice with me. After getting hit all over your body with a rattan stick at FULL SPEED (no choreography) by me you'll sing a different tune. And you'll be singing it while nursing your bruises. We hit hard. Very hard.

Why do it? Because it's fun. Because it helps us get away from people like YOU.

Why make fun of it even though you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT? Because you are an idiot.

No one wears pantyhose, moron. And of all the gear we cyclists wear the helmet and some body armor is the only ones we really need. Why wear a team jersey even though you aren't on the team? Why wear lycra shorts? Lycra is for girls. Why do you need to look like darth vader on a public multi use trail? See where I am going with this?

We have all sorts of members from history professors to law enforcement of various levels, as well as slackers like me. You willing to mock them and tell them that what we are doing is silly?

The arguments you are making and the attitude you are displaying is the same one as the hikers who want to ban MTBers from public trails. You don't understand it so you rag on it and make fun of the participants. That's pretty sad.
jdschall said:
Ciaran,

Have you ever gone "medieval" on anyone's ass? I've always heard the expression but have never actually known anyone who as actually followed through. Do you read them excerpts from Canterbury Tales or what? How does it work exactly?
I'm about to go medieval on Jeremy's ass.

Everybody else, sorry about the derail and the rant. Attitudes like Jeremy's really piss me off.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ciaran said:
Everybody else, sorry about the derail and the rant. Attitudes like Jeremy's really piss me off.
You should attack his level 9 dwarf or something.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BurlyShirley said:
You should attack his level 9 dwarf or something.
Silly man, there's no such thing as dwarves.

Back on topic... that chick on the silly scooter is HAWT! Anyone know how I can get the wife to look like that? ;)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ciaran said:
Silly man, there's no such thing as dwarves.

Back on topic... that chick on the silly scooter is HAWT! Anyone know how I can get the wife to look like that? ;)
Bowflex worked for that granny on TV.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
BurlyShirley said:
Bowflex worked for that granny on TV.
If its the one im thinking about where shes getting out of hte pool and says shes a grandma. I claim bull****. I don't even see girls my age looking that good :p

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
you know when i first met mike(ciaran) i thought the same as jeremy. but ive hung out with him and listened to what they actually do and i know i dont have the balls to do it. mikes showed me his gear. its heavy and the swords would hurt like a mother to get hit with.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Ciaran said:
Tell ya what... come on out to a fighter practice with me. After getting hit all over your body with a rattan stick at FULL SPEED (no choreography) by me you'll sing a different tune. And you'll be singing it while nursing your bruises. We hit hard. Very hard.

Why do it? Because it's fun. Because it helps us get away from people like YOU.

Why make fun of it even though you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT? Because you are an idiot.

No one wears pantyhose, moron. And of all the gear we cyclists wear the helmet and some body armor is the only ones we really need. Why wear a team jersey even though you aren't on the team? Why wear lycra shorts? Lycra is for girls. Why do you need to look like darth vader on a public multi use trail? See where I am going with this?

We have all sorts of members from history professors to law enforcement of various levels, as well as slackers like me. You willing to mock them and tell them that what we are doing is silly?

The arguments you are making and the attitude you are displaying is the same one as the hikers who want to ban MTBers from public trails. You don't understand it so you rag on it and make fun of the participants. That's pretty sad.

I'm about to go medieval on Jeremy's ass.

So, you start name calling all because I made fun of your little pretend world, where you like to go get away from people like me.
Classic. Just like all the Stars Wars freaks that like to go to dress up like somebody else because the real world is a little too tough for them, and life would be so much better if they could live in another time...in a land far far away. Clown.
And you actually have the nerve to threaten me with some activity called
fighter practice. Is that supposed to instill fear? You come at me in that dress up attire and there will not be anything "practice" about it.
Dude, I was kidding at first, but if you wanna take yourself so serious, then so be it.
And the hiker/mtb comparison was total weaksauce as well.
Hikers do not want mountain bikers to have access to the trails.
You guys have every right in the world to dress up in a pretend world and play swordfight. I support your right to do so, and I also have the right to laugh at your wooliebooger azz.
If somebody makes fun of me wearing lycra, I don't get mad, and start calling people names.
I know I look stupid, but I am riding my bike, and doing something I love. It looks like you would have built up a tolerance by now, dressing up to use your light saber, I mean rattan stick.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hey, JeremyR. You coming to the monkeyfest this year at pisgah? See if you can get herndon to give us a clinic on "how to be a kickass bike rider"

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
BurlyShirley said:
Hey, JeremyR. You coming to the monkeyfest this year at pisgah? See if you can get herndon to give us a clinic on "how to be a kickass bike rider"
Hey Burly,
He gives me a clinic every time I race with him.:)
And yeah, I will try to make it up there this year for sure.
Sounds like fun, and I love Pisgah.