Quantcast

my new banshee wildcard

Sep 12, 2004
ive had this frame at the shop since november and to no surprise it started snowing again here in syracuse so looks like i wont actually be able to ride it for at least another week...kind of getting pissed at this point

build for those who care:

med banshee wildcard frame (in 6.5in travel position)
manitou swinger sfs (shim stack, no spv) 6-way w/ 400# rcs ti spring
2006 marz 66 rc2x
halo freedom disc rims laced 36, 4x to ringle rear, specialized front
kenda kinetic 2.35 dtc/sws (this silver side wall casing is for xtra "protection")
xt cranks
welgo mg1 mag pedals
avid juicy 7s w/ dangerboy levers - 203F, 185R
azonic wf bars
azonic launch fr stem @ 75mm
fsa orbit xtreme 1.5-1 1/8 headset
xtr shifter, xtr rear der
e13 sts w/ 34t e13 ring and 11-32 cass

cant wait to actually ride this freaking bike!!!!! weight came in a touch under 35lbs...not bad considering my last bike (which had the same parts basically) came in at 41+. im very VERY happy with this bike.

yeah, the pics suck

Sep 12, 2004
i asked for a swinger 4way and they were out of stock so they gave me the 6way sfs at no charge which was cool - no input on it though. just did a quick spin around the parking lot...im sure its going to take a few runs for me to get the shock where i want it

wakepunk21

Chimp
Mar 8, 2008
wisconsin
pretty sick rig. looks alot like the kona stinky. hope you get to shred it soon. i live in wisconsin and we have gotten a ton of snow. and its still cold i want to ride so bad. i know how you feel.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
nice ride, how's the linkage? It looks flimsy, unreliable, and easily broken. I don't trust anything linkage that thin for major freeride things.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
the pieces used to make the linkage look like after a decent amount of hard hits they'd bend or break, esp the top part. i feel like a bad landing and body weight on it from the side would destroy that thing.

Sep 12, 2004
like your name, your replies on this post are dumb

the frame is not going to break at the link...you really have no idea what youre talking about (also your post is very technical...pieces and to part)

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
perhaps i should have said it differently, it looks like it would be a lot of maintaining because it looks like the bearings could flex. My 7point is like that and as soon as i started attempting rotational tricks or landing slightly whipped out the flexing ended up ruining my bearings and causing a lot of play in the suspension. I'm not saying a piece is gonna break in half, i'm saying there could be alot of stress on the bearing areas and that i felt it should be a lil burlier.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
To me it does look like the pivot plates and rear triangle are weak but it seems that Banshee did their homework on this design and eliminated any unnecessary weight. Ribbing in the CS and SS add strength and the whole frame was designed with close attention to FEA so I doubt they are weak. Banshee's got quite a fan base for this frame so I hope for their and the owners' sake it is durable because I have a feeling that people aren't going to take it easy on this one.

That being said I'm just not feeling it for some reason. I really want to demo one though, that would most likely change my mind.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
It looks like it has 2 sets of tabs on the top of the downtube. Why did you route the lines on the underside of the toptube?

Sep 12, 2004
the cable routing took me awhile to decide actually. i didnt like routing it the way banshee designed it to be - around the bottom pivot, under the bottom of the shock in between the lower shock mount, and along the top of the downtube. i didnt like that cable routing b/c i didnt like the flex around the lower pivot. so i came up with the method i currently have setup which i think is a lot cleaner and simpler. the rear hose could stand to be trimmed a bit but i didnt feel like doing it. all of the full suspension bikes ive owned thus far (2002 giant ac air lite, 2005 trek session 77, and now this) have all been the same exact faux bar suspension style and this is the first frame that had the routing along the top of the down tube and i just hated it so i stuck with what had been done on my previous rides...i like it. i just hate the fact that now i have big cable guides braze ons on the frame that serve now purpose!

and by the way, the frame does not use bearings so it cannot have bearing play. (they speced bushings for this exact reason...and yes, banshee did their hw if you check out their site there is tons of info and design analysis on the frame and design...even the little bend in the bottom of the hydroformed downtube serves a technical purpose)

i am 100% confident in this bike and in banshee - they have a great almost all new lineup for 2008 and i have a feeling that youre going to see a lot more banshee rides poping up in freeride, slopestyle, and dh comps and on your local trails!

Sep 12, 2004
oh and another reason why i didnt like the banshee designed cable routing system - with the cables running down the top of the downtube, youre supposed to run the shift cable ontop of the chain stay. well i wrap my chain stays and if i need to replace housing, i dont want to have to undo and rewrap my chainstays every time. and ontop of that, i run a shimano rear (hate sram rear mechs!) so running the shift cable along the top of the chain stay with a shimano rear der would have made a super tight loop for the housing which is never good. in the end, the system i came up with to route the cable i feel worked out much better (well i havent ridden the bike yet but it works better on the stand...stupid rain/snow :disgust:)