Quantcast

My new bike is flexy:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
So I got out on the Cove the other morning. I didnt want to push myself to hard yet, so I rode about 6 miles at montgomery bell state park. Pretty techy, rooty trails with lots of interval-style ups and downs. No real grinders for climbs.
The bike was quick and responsive for sure. Its wierd going from a 7-inch bullit to a steel HT tho. I actually had to steer and avoid things rather than just plow through them.

Anyway, I was mashing through a climb in my big ring when I lost my momentum. Instead of downshifting I just decided to keep rolling over that big gear as a I creasted the climb...as I really started torking on it it, gears in the rear started to pop. I know drivetrains and KNOW Im in adjustment, I just think the frame flexed so much that it through my chainline off enough.

No biggie, Ill just downshift like normal people on climbs I guess.

I love the bike, very light and its wierd to actually be able to accelerate up a climb again. It "almost" makes climbing fun. Im going to leave the fork at 130 mm too, becuase I beleive the fork dives enough into its travel when Im climbing that geometry really wont be an issue. And its nice to have that inch back going down the other side.

Hutchinson Pythons suck btw.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
Anyway, I was mashing through a climb in my big ring when I lost my momentum. Instead of downshifting I just decided to keep rolling over that big gear as a I creasted the climb...as I really started torking on it it, gears in the rear started to pop. I know drivetrains and KNOW Im in adjustment, I just think the frame flexed so much that it through my chainline off enough.
I think you are asking for trouble climbing in the big ring on any bike. I'm sure the frame was flexing, but so were the cranks and chainring. I like Pythons in dry conditions, for rear tires only and at pressures less than 35psi. They suck as front tires.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
I think you are asking for trouble climbing in the big ring on any bike. I'm sure the frame was flexing, but so were the cranks and chainring. I like Pythons in dry conditions, for rear tires only and at pressures less than 35psi. They suck as front tires.
So that would be normal?

I have a habit of not ever spinning for whatever reason, and always riding too tall a gear. I realize its not the best way, but Ive never had that issue before.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
wow... you must have been pushing some serious torque. I'm not second guessing you (ok, maybe I am just a little), but that's crazy. I crank pretty hard on my road bike (steel) and I've never seen anything like that happen. Seems like it would have to flex a whole lot to jump more than one gear.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jacksonpt said:
wow... you must have been pushing some serious torque. I'm not second guessing you (ok, maybe I am just a little), but that's crazy. I crank pretty hard on my road bike (steel) and I've never seen anything like that happen. Seems like it would have to flex a whole lot to jump more than one gear.
Well I didnt say it jumped more than one gear, I just said it started to cling and pop. Also, Im 190-200lbs right now...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
So that would be normal?

I have a habit of not ever spinning for whatever reason, and always riding too tall a gear. I realize its not the best way, but Ive never had that issue before.
Nothing wrong with not spinning, my most powerful/efficient cadence is around 75rpm. But if you are climbing in the big ring things just won't work that well, especially if you had the chain on the larger side of the cassette. Riding with a crossed up chain is never a good idea no matter how stiff your frame is.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
What crankset are you running? Its entirely possible that combined with your (obviously) awesome strength a momentarily poor chainline and the cassette settling onto the cassette body that something shifted on the rear wheel. Were you able to reproduce it later?

Another possibilty is that the big ring is twisting under you, but I think you'd just have the f.der rub on the chain instead.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
Nothing wrong with not spinning, my most powerful/efficient cadence is around 75rpm. But if you are climbing in the big ring things just won't work that well, especially if you had the chain on the larger side of the cassette. Riding with a crossed up chain is never a good idea no matter how stiff your frame is.
yeah, thinking about it, the chainline was prolly a little extreme...probably more to do with it than flex.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Tame Ape said:
What crankset are you running? Its entirely possible that combined with your (obviously) awesome strength a momentarily poor chainline and the cassette settling onto the cassette body that something shifted on the rear wheel. Were you able to reproduce it later?

Another possibilty is that the big ring is twisting under you, but I think you'd just have the f.der rub on the chain instead.
no need to be an ass.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BurlyShirley said:
anyone have a new saying?

Lighten up francis. Its all in good fun, I know.
I know - I probably should have used the little winking guy ;)

When people can keep the banter fun, this place cracks me up.