Quantcast

My new biking-related tattoo

kghoscht

Chimp
Oct 17, 2001
Somewhere in Time
lovebunny said:
thats pretty sweet. are you gonna fill the rest ofthe square with anything?
Nope, I designed it around the blank space.

mcA896 said:
looks cool, but my first reaction was "he did that with permanent marker"
Heh, yeah, it does have that Sharpie look. At the time the picture was taken, that's not even 24hrs old. It looks somewhat less Sharpie-esque in person.

--
kghoscht

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
stinkyboy said:
Stoopid! I wanna see a pic in a couple years when it's just a blob of indistinguishable ink.
There was a guy at my work who had allot of them and he was maybe 65, his held very well for 45 years. But then again ive seen some that look terrible:dead:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Nice tat, man. The GF and I love tattoos. We hit the conventions and such every year. I like the black work. Color is cool, but I have always been a fan of black. Nice shading there on the frame part. Very nice :thumb:

- The tat looks like a sharpie because it's new. The skin is still very irritated.

- It won't become an indestinguishable blob if the artist is good, and quality inks were used. yes, he'll have to go in from time to time for touch ups, and the edges will lose their sharpness, but I have seen 25 year old tats that look great. Maybe not as sharp as when new, but definetly not an "indestinguishable blob". Good artist, good ink, and maintenance will keep your tat looking good for a long time.

Edit: Mack, you're not looking at getting a misspelled tattoo are you?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
I try to follow the common sense rule: if it irritates my skin, I shouldn't be doing it............. :D

-S.S.-
Stop following my posts... you're making too much sense! :D
I guess I should clarify... I love tattoos on OTHER people. I actually don't have any. The GF is another story...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
Stop following my posts... you're making too much sense! :D
I guess I should clarify... I love tattoos on OTHER people. I actually don't have any. The GF is another story...
Actually, I have to modfiy my statement. Because spicy $hit obviously irritates my body, but I :heart: that stuff. :p

-S.S.-

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ciaran said:
- It won't become an indestinguishable blob if the artist is good, and quality inks were used. yes, he'll have to go in from time to time for touch ups, and the edges will lose their sharpness, but I have seen 25 year old tats that look great. Maybe not as sharp as when new, but definetly not an "indestinguishable blob". Good artist, good ink, and maintenance will keep your tat looking good for a long time.

It starts with good design, which we do not have here... It's poorly drawn and a meaningless graphic. What, he rides "inside the box" or "I'm 25% into mountain bike wheels"?

Please splain?!

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Actually, I have to modfiy my statement. Because spicy $hit obviously irritates my body, but I :heart: that stuff. :p

-S.S.-
You've always liked rectal irritation haven't you???

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stinkyboy said:
It starts with good design, which we do not have here... It's poorly drawn and a meaningless graphic. What, he rides "inside the box" or "I'm 25% into mountain bike wheels"?

Please splain?!
I think it's more like a poor attempt at saying "Dude! Bike! Cool..........."

Or maybe he just wanted a tatoo and couldn't think of anything else to get.

:think:

-S.S.-

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
stinkyboy said:

Please splain?!
Jeez. It's open to interpretation, not for you to decree whether it's a "good" design. Feel free to express an opinion but your statement sounds more like an attempted statement of fact.

I think it's pretty cool, definitely different. I see it as kind of window into what's inside, at least part of which is about bikes and always will be.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
OGRipper said:
Jeez. It's open to interpretation, not for you to decree whether it's a "good" design. Feel free to express an opinion but your statement sounds more like an attempted statement of fact.

I think it's pretty cool, definitely different. I see it as kind of window into what's inside, at least part of which is about bikes and always will be.
I couldn't agree more. And, as a person that has several tattoos, I dig it.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
OGRipper said:

I've been a graphic designer/art director for 18 years. It's crap.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
stinkyboy said:
that doesn't make you some authority on what is good. besides, you might be a mediocre graphic designer, and why would we want to listen to you then? :nuts: :oink:

but at least you like macs, so there's one point in your favor... heh

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stinkyboy said:
And I thought Burley Surley was "Mr. No Middle Ground". Geez man. (unless you're just trolling, in which case you are doing a fine job). I can't even begin to express what kind of a dillhole it takes to say something like that. It's not a graphic design that you sell to a magazine. It's art, which is subjective.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Thanks to the narcissism of designers, the word "design" has obtained negative connotations. The natural reaction to such a situation is a rejection of design. The interest of designers moves from a demonstration of their capabilities and possibilities offered by contemporary technology, to the attempt to return to the essence of design and express it in a simpler way. The public need clear messages and not the complex messages from designer virtuosos. After a lengthy design feast, the time of sobering up and coming back to the rudiments has arrived. We could define a purism and a rejection of design as yet another style of the 1990s; similar trends can be seen in fashion, interior design and architecture, however the return to the basics of design is merely a reaction to overcomplicated design and an attempt to return to the foundations of design on which it is possible to begin working.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
stinkyboy said:
Thanks to the narcissism of designers, the word "design" has obtained negative ......snip....a reaction to overcomplicated design and an attempt to return to the foundations of design on which it is possible to begin working.
At least post the link from where you cut that little blurb. Unless your name is Peter Bilak, of course. http://www.peterb.sk/readings/overdesign.html :thumb: :rolleyes:

Edit:
I don't really see how graphic design would have anything to do with a tattoo anyways. I see graphic design as something that has specific meaning and is designed to catch your attention. Art (tattoos), on the other hand, is open for interpretation.

Graphic design: Graphics design is the creation of visual media, usually for marketing. Business cards, logos, publications, brochures, postcards or mailings, invoices, and books are all products of graphics design. From: http://graphicdesign.about.com/cs/designtips/a/graphicdesign.htm

In any case, judging from your first post in this thread, you sound like you're simply close-minded about tattoos. If it was some lame-o tat off the wall of the shop, then a :nuts: would be in order, but I think its pretty cool.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
stinkyboy said:
good thing it hasn't gone to your head. :rolleyes:

even if you were some ****in' design genius, living in switzerland, sipping your fruity ass cosmo, with a 12 year old thai boy-sex slave, sucking your cock while rubbing your taint......why would you say that out loud?
prick.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
TN said:
good thing it hasn't gone to your head. :rolleyes:

even if you were some ****in' design genius, living in switzerland, sipping your fruity ass cosmo, with a 12 year old thai boy-sex slave, sucking your cock while rubbing your taint......why would you say that out loud.
prick.

:help: