Quantcast

My new bit**

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Here is my new ride, just finished building her up lat night, actually, this morning at around 4am. Still trying to find a name for it.

Here is what it looked like before I started this little project.

Hmmm, maybe Phoenix, since I resurrected this bike. Got any name ideas?

Parker

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
White Shadow.

WTF is up with that handlebar sweep? Do you always run them that far back?

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Thanks guys, it's an old GT frame, well, late 90's Im pretty sure it's steel. I couldnt even tell you the model of bike it was. I painted over the decals years ago, and then when I went to strip the frame before painting it recently, the stripper worked too well, I think it had trail in the name. It was marketed as a "hybrid" with hybrid tires and of course, the badass quill stem, and rigid fork. So yeah. Oh, and this is the first bike I have built from scratch, so these pics were snapped only seconds after completing the construction, so some tweaking is in order, I only had time to take it for a spin around the block earlier today, so far so good, I will have to adjust the handlebar sweep though. My other bike has flat bars too, so these are my first riser bars, and just threw them on real quick like. White shadow, I like the sound of that. Thanks again for the replies guys, keep them coming.

Parker

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
That's a GT Palomar, or I'll eat my hat.

*H8R does not wear or even own a hat*

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Hey, that's it. It was a metallic light blue before I got stupid with the flat black spraycan. Yeah, I really want to upgrade the fork. I would love a sus. fork, but still not sure what all I would need to replace it. Headset, fork, and stem right? hell, if I could just find a different quill stem I might be happy, that looks uber ridiculous.

H8R, want one of my old hats?

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
We need to dig up one of those old GT retro roadie caps, so it'll go down smooth!:busted:
As far as going threadless yep.... Just a fork, stem, and headset. The GT outpost was my first MT bike. And it was the same blue one you said you have. It was anno blue, not the bike pictured. Mine came with a more MT bike package but still rigid. It had flat bars and a threadless stem. But it was one of the first years they had threadless on entery level bikes.

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
That frame looks right, but the stem doesn't. The stem i have on it right now is the same one that came on it. And it came with riser bars, but they were pretty narrow, so I put another bar on it, wider for better leverage on climbs. The age sounds about right. I got it when I was around 16, I remember that because my father said I didn't need it since I had just got a car. He would be happy to read this, he was right. I hardly ever rode it after that camping trip I bought it on. But I think he will be proud to see what I have done with it.

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Hey, thanks. I think it looks pretty BA, it would look even better with a suspension for and new stem. Anyone wanna hook me up?? You know, just have an old fork laying around that needs a new home ;)

Thanks for the replies.

Parker

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
The first new mountain bike I ever bought was a 91 GT avalache. I hated that thing, it was huge and cumborsome compared to the bikes I was used to. It was a really nice bright orange though. Nice ride, enjoy yourself.

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
yeah, I haven't named a bike yet, but I figured that since I built this one up from scratch, it's more mine than before. Almost like it is apart of me. Oh well.