Quantcast

My new car!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
This has replaced the Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro...

1991 VW Jetta GLI 2.0L 16v

It took long enough, but I was finally able to find the right car for me. This thing is SUPER clean for being a 1991 and runs and pulls like a champ. Bike rack, new stereo, and some light tint are all going in this next week. I literally just pulled it into the driveway and snapped some pictures. Its a little dirty because of all the rain, should be getting it cleaned once the rain goes away.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks! I got it for less than half the price I sold my Audi for. =]

It is lowered a bit, Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs.

Cannot wait to have the bike rack on there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
downsizing your life? i approve, even if i don't approve of the VW AG.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks man! Yeah I figured it's time to make things a little less extravagant. Especially since I will be riding my bike to work more than driving.

I have been a VAG fan since I was 15. I really enjoy working on and owning the cars.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Sweet auto you got there. When I make it over to the left coast I will have to meet up with you. I will hopefully be driving my rabbit cross country this summer.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Thanks man! Yeah I figured it's time to make things a little less extravagant. Especially since I will be riding my bike to work more than driving.

I have been a VAG fan since I was 15. I really enjoy working on and owning the cars.
Nice MK2, my first car was a 88 Jetta GLi 16v with the Recaro interior. Super fun and...GASP... reliable. How many miles does it have on it. By far one of the cleanest looking I have seen. Those interiors are teh sweetness. So supportive and comfortable. One cautionary word of advice (I'm sure you already know) check that timing belt and replace it if it seems even slightly worn, being an interference motor it will dominate itself if it snaps. Your A4 was rad but this thing is so clean and OG.:cheers:
you socal guys sure are lucky, trails all year and clean cars.
edit- I just noticed you have a Golf Rallye grill and lights. Nice! those things go for like 500+ bucks.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Plenty of room for the primer once I get the rack on there.

The body has 205k with a rebuilt top end in the last year or so. All new belts (including the timing belt). Yeah I know all about the interference motors, few years back I built a 2.0L 16v from scratch.

Thanks guys! I scored on this one, it's in excellent condition.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Plenty of room for the primer once I get the rack on there.

The body has 205k with a rebuilt top end in the last year or so. All new belts (including the timing belt). Yeah I know all about the interference motors, few years back I built a 2.0L 16v from scratch.

Thanks guys! I scored on this one, it's in excellent condition.
Did you use factory parts for the rebuild or did you juice it up a bit?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
From what I was told it was just a factory rebuild. But I haven't looked through all of the receipts yet. Feels like it has plenty of power though. =]

Thanks mike!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am glad you guys got some enjoyment out of that statement.

As for the car, after a couple days of ownership I am VERY happy with my purchase. =]

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Nice find, she's a beauty! Makes me miss my '92 even more.

Random thoughts:

What's up with the dash, is it cracked?
I aways hated those seatbelts.
Does it have a short shifter yet?
I always thought my Jetta handled better than my Golf (both A2's).

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice find, she's a beauty! Makes me miss my '92 even more.

Random thoughts:

What's up with the dash, is it cracked?
I aways hated those seatbelts.
Does it have a short shifter yet?
I always thought my Jetta handled better than my Golf (both A2's).
Thanks guys!

The dash is actually in perfect condition. It has one of the dash carpets covering it for extra protection.

Same here about the seatbelts. I know there is a european conversion you can get to eliminate them. I had it on my last corrado. SO much better.

To be honest, I am not sure. Its been so long since I have owner an older vw, i forget what the short/regular throw feels like. My audi was VERY short, but from what I remember the older ones were a bit longer.

As for handling, this thing is pretty solid. Very happy with it so far. =]

Nate, photos. Soon. VERY soon. Tonight were looking at a new car for fiance (2002 WRX Wagon) so I am pretty busy tonight.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
To be honest, I am not sure. Its been so long since I have owner an older vw, i forget what the short/regular throw feels like. My audi was VERY short, but from what I remember the older ones were a bit longer.
I've got a Techtonics short shift kit in my rabbit, the shifts are ridiculously short, but I got used to it pretty quick. The only thing I don't like is that it is tough to tell 3rd from 1st sometimes (mostly because the gate that makes you push down to reverse is broken). Other than that they rule. If you decide to do it check out the shifter weight as well, it makes the shifts feel much more confident.