Rotors: 185mm Avid
Levers: '08 Avid Speed Dial SL
Headset: FSA Pig DH Pro - Deep Cup
Stem: '08 Race Face Diabolus D2
Handlebar: '08 Race Face Diabolus - Cut
Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock-On
Tires: Maxxis Holy Rollers 2.2
Saddle: Kona (Temporary)

The thing rides like a dream. I switched from a Kona Scrap (with a solid build) to this and I could not be happier. Feels great in the air and on the ground. I was never really able to manual well and it feels like second nature on this bike. Great build quality on the frame and I couldn't be happier with Dobermann's service. Top Notch. This bike will be primarily for dirt and street but will see a bit of park as well as racing. I plan on switching out the gearing to race cruiser at the local track, as well as dual and 4 cross.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Thanks guys. Now I need to learn barspins again. I was able to do them on my BMX bike a few years back so I have no reason to not be able to do them on this. The cables are long enough and the bars are narrow enough....

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
It's a little heavy at about 33-34 pounds. There are definitely some spots where it could lose some weight, but I was really going for a bomb proof street bike. I don't think the weight will hold me back a ton when racing, but we'll see. I can always build a set of light wheels if needed come race time, and I will be running a light clipless pedal as well.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I ran them on my Versus Blitz for a while and on my Kona. I checked spoke tension before putting them on the Dob and was shocked at how of it was. The rims were almost perfectly true though. Re-tensioned and re-dished them, little bit of spoke freeze, and they are solid again. This is one of my only bikes that has come out exactly how I wanted it.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Can't get much better! One thing I would probably do is put the front brake through the steer tube. Another thought was to get a dedicated SS hub, but the Hadley is too sweet to replace. :)

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I do plan on running the front brake through the steerer eventually. I didn't have the right star nut and wanted to ride the thing. Haha I have actually toyed with the idea of running an Odyssey GTX gyro but am worried both about how it will look and how it will make the rear brake feel. I may just run the brake cable a bit long as is.

As for the Hadley.... I did think about replacing it. I really like that hub though and the fact that they don't make the 108 point engagement model any more kind of makes me want to hang onto it. (And still leaves me with the option to run a rear derailleur if I ever needed to.) If I DO switch out the hub it will only be for the new Chris King ISO SS hub. I can't see switching to anything else.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Yes it was. Clear/Raw is not a stock color on the Pinscher frame so it will run you a couple bucks extra but it was entirely worth it. It's a nice thick coat as well. I must have spend an hour or more looking at the colors they had before going with this. I just thought it was clean but eye grabbing at the same time. The guys at Dobermann will really hook you up.

Thanks for the good words everyone.

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Hi Dan, sweet set up!! Makes a very nice bike!!

Im happy you like it!

Just to let our american friends know...(sorry for the :spam: but its related to the subject)

As we speak we have a factory direct deal on the Pinscher frames.(This deal is for US resident only).

The deal is... 525$CAD include : free custom color(75$ value(we have close to 100 colors)), free custom serial #(30$ value(this mean we can stamp your name or what ever yu want on the drop out as the serial#)) and free UPS shipping (in the US).

Cheers!

Alain
dobmaster@dobermannbikes.com

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
That is a DAMN good deal. And I'll let the Dob Master spam in my thread. Haha Really though, these frames are incredible. I was torn between the Pinscher and the Black Market MOB. After getting this and seeing the MOB in person I don't even know how I was torn. The MOB is nice, but this is on another level.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
That thing is pimp. I've always liked Dobs. Have you thought about cutting the steer tube?
Thank you, and yes I have. I cut it a good amount but wanted to make sure that I got my stem position dialed before making the final cut, especially since I switched to a zero rise stem from a stem with some rise to it. Once I get it dialed the rest will be cut. Lot easier to get rid of steerer tube than try to add it. Haha

mosplat

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Brooklyn <-> Oakland
that is one fine looking bike with well-chosen parts.
i thought i liked the last pinscher more, but this one may change my mind,
even without the built-in tensioners.

yeah the dobermann direct deal is one of the best around.
to provide that quality bike and service at that price is awesome.
if i ever need a new frame that would be my choice.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I knew that there was a re-design on the dropouts, but I actually did not know that there was no longer an integrated tensioner when ordering. I was surprised and a bit worried at first but I got the wheel set up straighter than I ever could on a BMX bike and it has budged since I put it in. If I ever run into a problem with it moving it is simple enough to add a set of tensioners. I do like the look of these dropouts more though.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Just wondering, why does it rival a MOB?

Oh, and I dig that stem, I would flip it though. Let me know how it holds up.

I was deciding between the two because IMO, they are both high quality steel frames with good geometry. They both have really short stays and came in a pretty long top tube. (I'm ~6'3") That was pretty much where that comment came from.

Edit: And retail vs. retail I don't think the prices on the two frames are far off at all.

I am a huge fan of the dropouts. They work well, the disc mount works well, and I don't mind the look of them at all. I think they look better on the bike than the older round ones with the integrated tensioner. An integrated tensioner would be nice, but its cheap and easy to add if I end up needing to.

As for the stem.... I may flip it at some point just to see how lit looks. It won't make any difference in the ride since it's a zero rise, but it may look alright. I do like the clamp design how it doesn't have square edges that are known for crushing bars. The sweep on these bars is a little different than what I was riding (tad more upsweep) but they are growing on me.

Bones in the dropouts?? When machining why not play off of the name a bit. I dig em.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Nice build.

I just ordered mine in Xtream Chrome. Should see it in a couple weeks. (I killed my .243, I hope this is a little better)

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
I am 6ft1 and went with the large, I was kinda on the fence, used to ride a 22in tt, but I have goofly long legs. They told me 2 weeks, but I have no idea how long a metric week is.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
yeah the dobermann direct deal is one of the best around.
to provide that quality bike and service at that price is awesome.
if i ever need a new frame that would be my choice.
yes it is, all hail alain!

old pic

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I am 6ft1 and went with the large, I was kinda on the fence, used to ride a 22in tt, but I have goofly long legs. They told me 2 weeks, but I have no idea how long a metric week is.
LOL!! I am about 6'2 - 6'3" and am definitely glad that I went with the large. It feels like a small bike (which is what I wanted) but any smaller and I think I might as well be on a 24" or smaller. This is definitely perfect. As for their time frame... They were spot on with the time they told me. I tried to get it in time for a trip to Rays and they had it done and shipped with 2 days to spare. They are killer.

And that translucent green (right?) is just sick. If I didn't go with raw I was trying to figure out what color to get as a translucent. Whatever way I went you were going to see the welds. Haha Awesome.