Quantcast

my new DOC ...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
czech it ...

A few juicy parts to mention are a rear bolt on King hub, Easton scandium bars, Shimano 755 brakes ... you can pretty much see the rest of the spec by looking at the picture. I have the stays set at just under 16" and have ample room for a worn out 2.4 Motoraptor.

I built it because I wanted a more "streety" hardtail/jump bike than my Chameleon. I LOVED my Chameleon, but wanted to try something different with more standover and a shorter rear end. I ended up finding this at a great deal.

1st ride: street, last Sunday. I thought I'd made a big mistake. I felt so twitchy and sketchy I believed the bike wanted to see me hurt or killed. :help:

2nd ride: street, all day today. I had WAY more fun than before. I made a few adjustments since the last ride and just sort of felt it out today. I've never been able to manual as easily, nor have as much control and be able to ride them out for so long. I pulled up and rode one out down a slope for maybe 20 feet towards and off of a small wall. The closer I got I was SURE that I'd drop the front too soon and crash but I didn't. :weee:

Definitely need to get a full length post to trail ride.
I'm riding it with a 130mm Z1FR. It doesn't really feel that bad, though I'm sure it would ride better with a 100mm fork. That experiment will have to wait.

Steel is real? I have to admit I cannot "feel" any difference in this steel frame vs. any aluminum frame that I've owned. Perhaps it's subtle and I can't feel or appreciate it. Construction is top notch, though there are already a few minor chips/flakes in the paint. This will likely get beaten up a bit so I'm not too concerned.

I :heart: Evil Bikes.

I'll be taking it out to the jumps and bmx track tomorrow or over the weekend.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
stinkyboy said:
I must approve!

I have to say I'm on the fence on this one. Nice bike, but not a wok in sight. The crane is a plus but I don't know if that's really enough. I could go either way.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nice, but a 5" fork on a doc = :dead:

My 3" MX Pro feels perfect, I can't even imagine a 5" fork...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Love that bike... but can't even begin to comprehend why their is such a big price difference between the DOC and Sovereign... if only that DOC had a steeper HA I would be all over it!

Sweet ride, enjoy!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Bicyclist said:
Nice, but a 5" fork on a doc = :dead:

My 3" MX Pro feels perfect, I can't even imagine a 5" fork...
I was actually riding with the fork locked down for a while. Felt right to me. I think I'd like to try 90-100.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Jozz said:
Love that bike... but can't even begin to comprehend why their is such a big price difference between the DOC and Sovereign... if only that DOC had a steeper HA I would be all over it!

Sweet ride, enjoy!
The Sovergn is 853 and has the XX dropouts, those are the main reasons it's more (well especially the 853). Just run a DOC w/ a 3" fork and you get nice angles and a low BB.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
bjanga said:
Nice . . . when you get a trailride in, can you tell us how it rides vs. the chameleon?

i went from a chameleon to a DOC as well... the chameleon is definately more trail friendly... the geo is more suited to longer rides... sure, i can do it on my doc, but its definately not the best application for the frame..

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I went from a chameleon, to a soveirgn for trail riding, and i is prob the most solid ride i have ever ridden (and that is alot of crap), my bike just thunders the over rocks, roots, and logs we have here on the east coast. If you can grab one there is no reason to stay with a chameleon over either the soviergn or DOC (I have a DOC for street)....

The dropouts on the evil alone, make it worth it over the chameleon, not to mention the solid ride of the steel.

:thumb:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I went from a chameleon, to a soveirgn for trail riding, and i is prob the most solid ride i have ever ridden (and that is alot of crap), my bike just thunders the over rocks, roots, and logs we have here on the east coast. If you can grab one there is no reason to stay with a chameleon over either the soviergn or DOC (I have a DOC for street)....

The dropouts on the evil alone, make it worth it over the chameleon, not to mention the solid ride of the steel.

:thumb:
Good to hear cause that exactly the switch I'd like to make, SC Cham to Sovereign. Have you noticed a big difference as far as confort for long trail ride?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Jozz said:
Good to hear cause that exactly the switch I'd like to make, SC Cham to Sovereign. Have you noticed a big difference as far as confort for long trail ride?
OMG yes, i rode 2 chameleons an old school one and the new style for about 5-6 years and loved every minute of it. Then i made an excel spreadsheet matching all aspects of the soveirgn against the chameleon and they are almost the same bike angle wise, with about a .4 lbs difference. I pretty much thought it was a no brainer. Now i have a very light soverign built with a dream parts kit/ full x.o/36 TALA/ juicy carbons/mavic crossmax xl's and some xt cranks...

Not a thing i would change, it is alot more supple over the rocks giving me exactly what i wanted...I didnt like the chatter of the box stays on the chameleon...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
manhattanprjkt83 said:
OMG yes, i rode 2 chameleons an old school one and the new style for about 5-6 years and loved every minute of it. Then i made an excel spreadsheet matching all aspects of the soveirgn against the chameleon and they are almost the same bike angle wise, with about a .4 lbs difference. I pretty much thought it was a no brainer. Now i have a very light soverign built with a dream parts kit/ full x.o/36 TALA/ juicy carbons/mavic crossmax xl's and some xt cranks...

Not a thing i would change, it is alot more supple over the rocks giving me exactly what i wanted...I didnt like the chatter of the box stays on the chameleon...
Not to hijack the DOC thread... but you wouldn't happen to have a pic by any chance... ;)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
jdschall said:
I have to say I'm on the fence on this one. Nice bike, but not a wok in sight. The crane is a plus but I don't know if that's really enough. I could go either way.

I bet there are PLENTY of microwaves and fire extinguishers in those buildings to make up for the lack of a Wok ;)

oh yeah, nice bike :thumb:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I hate to steal his thunder...but...Sorry nick!
No worries Bill. I really like your bike. :thumb:
I'm going street riding today with a friend. I'll snap a couple of new action-jackson pictures.

J

JRB

Where are you gonna put the spring on there??? :think:

Very nice ride. I am almost certain I am putting a longer stem on my Roscoe and putting the pike back on. I may keep my Drop Off for a back up, but seem like the Pike may be the best street fork for me.