Quantcast

My New Eight2Five!

My frame finally arrived yesterday morning so I built it up as fast as I could and managed to get it out for a rip at some local trails this afternoon with Tombo. Didn't get any good riding shots, but oh man this bike feels awesome!! The bb is pretty low and you're weight is positioned over the back end more than most bikes but it sticks to the ground in the corners and pedals better than most hardtails :D Obviously I'm pretty stoked!

Specs:

2006 PDC Racing Eight2Five frame with Swinger 6-way
Fox 40R fork
D521 on Chris King rr/Ringle fr
Avid 7"rr/8"fr Juicy 5's
RF Diablous cranks with Dangerboy ring/bash and E.13 guide
Sram X.7 der/shifter
RF Diablous bars with Tompson X.4 stem
Chris King headset
Tompson post with Simtra DJ seat
Kenda Nevegals 2.35rr/2.5fr, DH casing/tubes

Weight: 43.8 lbs

Should be a killer season!! B)

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Netguy said:
Very nice...probably cause it reminds me a little of a Demo.
A Demo?

It looks like a full suspension Imperial to me. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it does. Mabye the steep top tube, low bb, short chainstays, etc...

Anyways, nice bike indeed.

Feb 13, 2006
Jesus said:
A Demo?

It looks like a full suspension Imperial to me. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it does. Mabye the steep top tube, low bb, short chainstays, etc...

Anyways, nice bike indeed.
while it's a nice LOOKING design (haven't ridden one, can't comment past the looks),

it doesn't look so much like a Special Ed Demo as it looks like a copy of the design of the Knolly V-Tach. but that's a pretty good bike to knock off if you're going to do that sort of thing. for sure it's not identical to the V-Tach, not really a copycat. just looks like one with the layout of the tubes in the frame.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
particle bored said:
it doesn't look so much like a Special Ed Demo as it looks like a copy of the design of the Knolly V-Tach

the suspension design is very similar to an old cortina extreme 8 and the front triangle looks similar to the new triton

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
Hairy Spaniard said:
How much do you weigh and what rear spring weight are u using?
i have a 825 too, may be i can help you with that...
i'm 205 pounds and use a 500lbs spring, but it feels a little bit stiff so i'll try a 450 lbs one.

Definately in love with the 40, and the rest of the bike too of course. Here are a couple better angles...still no riding photos yet, weather hasn't been cooperating, but this weekend looks like it should be a good one!

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
ok couple more questions guys, i ride a 17" sunday and it fits great so how similar in size do you think the two are? I really couldn't go any smaller, larger wouldn't be terrible though. And second could you fit a DHX?

R

Rabie

NateH said:
ok couple more questions guys, i ride a 17" sunday and it fits great so how similar in size do you think the two are? I really couldn't go any smaller, larger wouldn't be terrible though. And second could you fit a DHX?
I jumped on a 17" Sunday last weekend and it felt about the same to me. I wasn't on it for long, and the stem length could've been different, but it didn't feel "wrong."

The DHX won't fit.

My wheelbase is 46" with a Travis 180 SC.

I bought them ;)

they come in either black or silver.

Finally got some riding shots...in the form of video though, so I whipped up this little clip to my man Kanye. I plan on using the clips in another video, so this is just a sample and the video won't be posted on the main part of my site.

http://www.capitalfreeride.com/warmup.html

the second rider is my teammate Tombo (we both ride for Phat Moose Cycles) who is also on this site and rides a white Morewood.

Moominator

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
UK
that looks fantastic, first one ive seen with 40s, was considering them for mine but thought they might be too beefy in comparison to the frame and got boxxers instead, but i was wrong they suit it really well!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
particle bored said:
it doesn't look so much like a Special Ed Demo as it looks like a copy of the design of the Knolly V-Tach.
The suspension design isn't even close, though. The V-Tach has a Horst link with an added bar to actuate the shock. This is a solid rear triangle with two short links connecting it to the frame a'la DW, VPP, Karpiel, Canfield, etc.

It's a sweet looking bike, though, always had a soft spot for those PDCs. Maybe it's 'cause I'm not a tall guy and they look real nut-friendly to me ;). Nice low CoG too.

Has anyone tried doing their own little plate or fender to keep mud and stuff from being slung into the shock?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
binary visions said:
Has anyone tried doing their own little plate or fender to keep mud and stuff from being slung into the shock?

its not needed, refer to my original build post from before livigno last year, there you can see pics of a clean shock and a muddy bike.

the rear end upright is so wide and is so close to the shock that no crap gets to the shock.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
there is a second shock mount location that (apparently) allows you to run a short stroke / length shock. though i've never seen one set up in that manner.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
there is a second shock mount location that (apparently) allows you to run a short stroke / length shock. though i've never seen one set up in that manner.
its a mount for a shock shuttle, you can have those made to accomodate a variety of shock sizes/strokes.

so its 8 to 5 inches