Quantcast

My new Evil Sovereign... Lots of pictures!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Mackie said:
I use the same tool as you do for crown races, but I straddle the fork over a 2x4 that sits under the steerer. That way any bashing force goes into the 2x4, not the wimpy drop outs.

EDIT - I see you have a beefy through axle fork - disregard my caution. But all of you QR dropout folks - heed my words!!!
Yep, I'm not worried about those dropouts... But just the same, that picture was simply snapped to demonstrate the tool. I braced the crown when I actually pounded the race on.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bjanga said:
What is a good way to ghetto-set a star nut?
I, uh, screwed a headset bolt into mine and pounded it in carefully with a hammer :o:

It wasn't really that hard, but I can't say I'd recommend it unless you've got a couple of star nuts. If you get it too far off center you'll need to pound it out the bottom (or drill it out) and start over with a new one.

The Pedros star nut setter is pretty cheap and the functionality is slick, but it's just not something I do that often.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I also just use a punch sometimes...pick one thin enough to slide through the starnut's center (insert beavis and butthead giggling here) and let the shoulder of the puch rest on the top surface of the starnut, then tap in. Works a bit better than using the bolt, but still not as good as the real tool, I'd imagine.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
Works a bit better than using the bolt, but still not as good as the real tool, I'd imagine.
Have you ever used one? They're pretty cool.

The cylinder sits on the outside of the steerer, and the punch slides down the middle. It's a pretty slick design, I had never really thought about it until I saw one.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Another ghetto style for setting that star nut is to cut the rounded end of a broom handle off at about 6 in. and use it to set the thing. I've always found it easier to "tab" the edges of the star nut first by tapping it gently with a hammer all the way around before setting it in. This sets the star nut slightly down into the steerer tube and makes for a more accurate set to the nut.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Damn, that's a good idea...then again, I guess $20 spent on the proper tool isn't a bad idea, either.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I think I am just going to try and find something that closely matches the inside diameter of the steerer so it does not end up lopsided. I am not nearly ninja enough to pull it off BV style.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
fiddy_ryder said:
just get the double star nut,, sets straight everytime..
Not true, I've seen several double star nuts go in crooked. If you don't have the right tool, it's not that hard to screw it up.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah, ghetto star-nut setting is an iffy prospect...Some times if you get it in crooked, instead of pounding it out you can install the fork and headset and it might pull the nut even. At least, that's what happened when I installed the starnut in my Dorado. It's still just barely crooked, but it's fine.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I used to always set my star nuts using a long 6mm bolt and a hammer. Then I decided to make the proper tool.
Just buy the fricken tool to will save you soooo much time and many smacked finger. The tools last forever and will be $20 well spent.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
d-rod said:
i should have bought the blue one......
:D

The blue one is actually the one I would have bought, had I bought new and had a choice. I liked the silver, too, but I've owned a silver bike and owned a black bike so I thought I'd give blue a shot - the green is a little too blingin' for me ;)

What color did you end up with?

Hey... Mr. E.13, do you know how much clearance there is above the chain on an e.13 36t bashguard when running a 36t chainring?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
binary visions said:
Hey... Mr. E.13, do you know how much clearance there is above the chain on an e.13 36t bashguard when running a 36t chainring?
I asked a similar question recently of the e-13 techs. The 36T Supercharger is 170mm in daimeter. Maybe that'll help.

toby

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
in the trees said:
I asked a similar question recently of the e-13 techs. The 36T Supercharger is 170mm in daimeter. Maybe that'll help.

toby
Thanks, but I've got the 36t supercharger... it's the 36t chainring I'm wondering about :)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:

The blue one is actually the one I would have bought, had I bought new and had a choice. I liked the silver, too, but I've owned a silver bike and owned a black bike so I thought I'd give blue a shot - the green is a little too blingin' for me ;)

What color did you end up with?

Ummm, plenty? I've always run 36t with my DRS w/ the 36t bashguard. There's a healthy margin on the bashguard, I assume b/c the guards can smush down when whacked really hard.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
MikeD said:
Ummm, plenty? I've always run 36t with my DRS w/ the 36t bashguard. There's a healthy margin on the bashguard, I assume b/c the guards can smush down when whacked really hard.
The e13 bash guards have a ton of clearance intentionally. If you look at how they interface with the top wear plate on a SRS and you will see why. The guard needs to be signifigantly larger than the chainring in order to be reliable as a chain guide. If you're only using it as a bash,or riding less bumpy terrain, a 36 will actually cover a 38t ring.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Virgin ride today.

Trail head:

The bike fits me amazingly well. I feel more comfortable on it than I did on the Imperial, I think the Imperial was just a hair too slack and I couldn't have the seat up and still have a natural weight distribution. It takes all the things I liked about the Imperial - BB height, short (adjustable) chainstays, slightly slack HT angle - and improves.

It rides beautifully. I can't quite put my finger on it but the steel does feel like it's not quite as jarring as the aluminum. It's not significant, but it's noticable.

Great bike, great ride. The Sovereign after the post-ride wash (a necessary evil when you have no garage):

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hmmm, I *still* think all the raving about the 'feel of steel' on the Sovereigns is a wallet-induced psychosomatic effect. :p

I love mine, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel it's any more or less jarring than my Nicolai AL hardtail was. Then again, maybe I'm just a hack with less feel and finesse than you refined types...

Sweet bike...glad it's working well for you...

MD

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MikeD said:
Hmmm, I *still* think all the raving about the 'feel of steel' on the Sovereigns is a wallet-induced psychosomatic effect. :p

I love mine, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel it's any more or less jarring than my Nicolai AL hardtail was. Then again, maybe I'm just a hack with less feel and finesse than you refined types...
i'm unsure whether it's a step forward or back in evolutionary terms to have less innervation to your butt, as you seem to have :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
I have not ruled out that possibility ;)

I dunno, it just seems to ride a little different. Exact same component spec as my Imperial, and I feel like long sets of exposed roots and such doesn't quite feel as jarring. Meh. Whatever, it's not why I bought it and doesn't influence my decision to keep it, it's just something I get an impression of :)

I've always doubted the effect, too, so I was suprised to get that impression during my ride.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BTW, yes, it was the Bicycle Post trails, Jody... Nice little set of trails in there.

Sorry, didn't see your post before.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Sweet ride BV. You're right, the steel is noticeably more plush than aluminum, got both- prefer the ride on the steel (although it may have something to do with the 160 gm crotch shredding race saddle on the aluminum frame).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's a regular. I've been riding my BMX bike a lot more than the Sovereign, actually, but I really like the Sovereign from the few times I've had it out.

It feels a little less lazy than my Imperial did and the normal seat tube angle/length lets me actually do seated climbing with it. I could swear that I can sense the deadening effect of the steel (vs. the big tubed, stiff aluminum) but that's really difficult to quantify or pin down.

Not much of a review, I know, but it suits the limited riding time I've had on it. I liked the way my Imperial rode a lot, there were just a couple things that were really problematic - the super slack and super short seat tube made seated riding difficult, and I would have liked a slightly sharper steering response. This does both of those, plus being a blingin' Reynolds tubeset ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wait, you ride BMX?
Not until very recently, and not much besides getting exercise on it :p

I bought a cheap 24" wheeled BMX bike from chicodude to use as a commuter to and from campus. Since I don't get a whole lot of exercise every day (work + school), I leave work a little early or delay a little coming back and do campus rides.

Lots of curb/bench hopping, small drops and interval sprinting mostly. Don't have any BMX background so it's a fun learning experience to have such a tiny bike that's so freakin' heavy.