Quantcast

My new Evil Sovereign... Lots of pictures!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:clapping:

Sovereign got a wheel upgrade - courtesy of syadasti. DT 5.1 rims laced to CK hubs, pretty blingin' - replaced the heavy-ass wheels/tires that were on it and suits the bike much better. No reason to have those weighty Michelins or straight gauge spokes around here. Has a pair of semi-slicks on it right now for city riding.

Bled about the nastiest fluid I've ever seen out of the brakes a month or so ago. The stuff was almost black.

Will post some pics with the new wheels.

How's your sovereign, dump?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
How's your sovereign, dump?
Mine is actually doing quite well. Back on the east coast for deep woods XC/AM duty. Have been riding up at bromont and getting the feel of the bike in these conditions. It's taking some getting used to after the generally wide open, high speed riding I was doing in the bay.

Upgrade from the pics posted in my sig are:

Elixer CR brakes
e13 LG1
1x9, SRAM x9
Hope stem 110mm
WTB XC seat
Continental XC tires

Will post pics when I fix the flat/slow leak and mud from last time out.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Two evil v1 sovereigns, long & regular - after a good day at Kingdom Trails.

20111016-IMG_0442_evil-twins.jpg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wow, I almost fell for that. :panic:

I was talking in reference to the Evil Bikes Sovereign frame that used to be available in a long format. I'm ok otherwise.
Nice. I'm also looking for another large. The one day in the last 5 months I didn't go to busted spoke's sale section, a large silver sold... so sad, but crazy sale. Check out this guy's rides:
http://bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55675

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wouldn't mind a DOC, either. Not that I have a bunch of money burning a hole or anything, but it would make the dream Do All bike. My Lifetime was awesome for most everything, but the 24" rear made it tough to trail ride for me.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I wouldn't mind a DOC, either. Not that I have a bunch of money burning a hole or anything, but it would make the dream Do All bike. My Lifetime was awesome for most everything, but the 24" rear made it tough to trail ride for me.
They don't come up very often ... I've been looking all year and I've seen 2... one of which I bought.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
They don't come up very often ... I've been looking all year and I've seen 2... one of which I bought.
I meant to say the sovereigns don't come up very often. You see docs more, but I'm not after one :)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
whatever happened to the guy who ran endless....never posts anymore...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Marshall was a cool dude, I never got to meet Adam (the other guy that owned Endless). Marshall was an interesting cat, though. Dude could ride.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wasn't the DOC near identical geometry wise, just the sh!ty tubing?
The geo was close, a bit less range in the dropouts, made abroad and the tubing was not so fancy... a little heavier too I think.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Always wanted a Sov. Its on the same list with Yeti-built Schwinn Homegrowns, DeKerf, Fat Chance, EWB, etc...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Figured I would add a few pics of my Evil Bikes Sovereign, bought it when they first came out rode it for a few years then sold it for a heckler for trail riding. Probably the only bike i regret selling. I have a bunch of pics, few things i would have done differently today but for the most part it was a solid build. Needs less graphics.

Pics are 2006

I sold this frame to someone on here, are you out there?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Thanks man, I am getting a little pissed right now looking at it...wish i still had the frame...

I'd build it like this
Rockshox Revelation WC
XTR Trail Brakes & Cranks
Singlespeed
Silver i9's
Highroller/Larson Combo
Thompson Everything

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Did he get banned?
I don't think so, but Marshall got pretty worked up a lot. This place was a polarized Weagle vs. Hance battle of the fanbois for like 2 years IIRC. Soul vs. cold technology, yadda yadda.

Last I recall he had converted his Endless to a 29/26" skinny-tired rigid bike and was crunching out massive numbers of miles on Pisgah singletrack. Not a bad way to ride off into the sunset, I suppose.

My own Sovereign is Sophie-approved. I still take off the seat and ride it to work sometimes, and have even managed to find some trails with some local Indian dudes. Fantastic bike for me-adaptable to wherever I find myself.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This place was a polarized Weagle vs. Hance battle of the fanbois for like 2 years IIRC. Soul vs. cold technology, yadda yadda.
The DH forum would be a flame war, the good old days. I left the DH forum and have been in the lounge ever since. :rofl:

The Endless was a sick bike, but the 24 ONLY rear was trail limiting in the PNW. Too many roots to mash pedals on. That is the edge that Dave put into the Sovereign, IMO.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, Hance made the Endless work with a 26" rear wheel at the end...not its intended purpose of course, and I think it was a 1.75 or 2" max.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well, Hance made the Endless work with a 26" rear wheel at the end...not its intended purpose of course, and I think it was a 1.75 or 2" max.
I used to talk to him quite a bit back in the day, but then he just dropped off the face of the earth.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't think so, but Marshall got pretty worked up a lot. This place was a polarized Weagle vs. Hance battle of the fanbois for like 2 years IIRC. Soul vs. cold technology, yadda yadda.
Marshall was kind of a douche on here anyway, even outside of the DW arguments. I have no idea what he was like in real life, but I would never have purchased a frame from him just because I'd assume any problems I experienced would be treated with the contempt, arrogance and dismissiveness that he treated many people with here.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BV, is your sov still running?
Yep. It's been in transportation mode with some high PSI slicks on it for the winter. I'm ready to put the knobbies back on, but it won't be getting much action for a little while thanks to a torn ligament in my ankle.

You still riding yours?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yep. It's been in transportation mode with some high PSI slicks on it for the winter. I'm ready to put the knobbies back on, but it won't be getting much action for a little while thanks to a torn ligament in my ankle.

You still riding yours?
Cool. Yup, still riding mine for sure. I have a pair of them now – one dedicated street, one dedicated trail.

Trail bike:

more pics here:
http://www.vitalmtb.com/community/mp,9482/setup,23958?ptab

Last edited: