Quantcast

My "New" Hardtail Race Bike. The Masochist.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
So, I know a lot of you wont dig this build, but I had ton of fun building it, and its a ball to ride.
I sold my full squish DH rig a couple years ago, and decided Id start riding again this year, but wanted a hardtail, so I built this up over the last 2 weeks.

-The frame is a Soul Cycles Roscoe that i bought about 4 or 5 years ago and never finished building. I modified the rear triangle for more DH friendly geo(not perfect, but better). Ended up with 13.7 BB height and 63.5 HA.
-White Bros. Groove fork
-Answer direct mount stem
-RaceFace Atlas 31" bars
-Atom Lab Pimplite wheel set
-Kenda Small Block 8's
-Hope EVO M4 brakes
-Gusset rotors
-TSC 4130 175mm cranks
-TSC Pivotal seat post
-Tioga D-Spyder saddle
-Odyssey JCPC pedals
-Profile Chain tugs
-ESI grips

Right now the gearing is 30/14, and seems to work for fast-ish runs, will run 30/15 for more pedally courses.
It ended up at 36.2 lbs, and I've nicknamed it the Masochist, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
*ucking loving it! Hardtails are the ****, they teach how to ride proper like nothing else.

What do you mean by "modifying the rear triangle"?

Aug 19, 2009
PNW/Sweden
seems a little odd to run a BB as high as a bike with 8 inches in the rear. i would think you could get away with a much lower BB which would be the (only) advantage of a HT...?

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
*ucking loving it! Hardtails are the ****, they teach how to ride proper like nothing else.

What do you mean by "modifying the rear triangle"?
Basically, I cut off the rear, took a length out of the seat stays(the isection that had the canti mounts) then replaced it with a shorter section, then welded it back up. That dropped the bb and slacked it out more. Wanted to drop the bb more but would have required a lot more cutting and rewelding. I definitely have the bug again, so next will be a complete custom frame.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Did you weigh it? I hear 8.5-9.5lbs. 8.5 is only a pound heavier than my 66, and that's not much for a freeridey fork. They go for cheap nowadays.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
That hardtail is sick.

Did you weigh it? I hear 8.5-9.5lbs. 8.5 is only a pound heavier than my 66, and that's not much for a freeridey fork. They go for cheap nowadays.
What 66 weighs 7.5 lbs? My 06 66RC2X weighed 6.5 lbs.

EDIT: Just saw that the 2012 66 RCV weighs in at 7.0 lbs

Last edited:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Nice work there! very clean looking!

Do you work in a machine shop or something?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well if you get around to it, go for it. That's a really neat bike though, and after seeing the guy ripping in whistler on a hardtail, I'd imagine it would be a lot of fun.

I think I pegged my 08 66 at 7.5lbs. It has some bushing slop and the axle doesn't hold. Would be great for somebody building up a cheaper DH bike, but I'm looking to upgrade. The damping is OK, it's the chassis I don't like. Supposedly Alistair might have some spare lowers, but I don't want to beg...and I wouldn't mind 8" of travel to balance out the 8.75 I have in the rear.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I've been a machinist / fabricator for pretty much my entire adult life.
That explains it, my question should actually have been 'are you a machinist by trade?'

Again, nice work, and your idea about fabricating a whole frame gets my thumbs up too.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Very cool looking bike, DH on a hardtail is great fun. I wouldn't go too mental with weight savings, I tried it and fuund the bike just got too nervous and a BB heit like yours won't help that much. I raced my hardtail for a season and a half and loved it then I bought a dually and only knocked a few seconds off my PB.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Very cool looking bike, DH on a hardtail is great fun. I wouldn't go too mental with weight savings, I tried it and fuund the bike just got too nervous and a BB heit like yours won't help that much. I raced my hardtail for a season and a half and loved it then I bought a dually and only knocked a few seconds off my PB.
I wasn't worried one bit about weight. The light parts I used, I only did because I thought they looked good haha.