Quantcast

My New Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki!!!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Bike looks good.

Upgrades could be:
New Rear Shock...something with more adjustment.
New Front Shock... " "
Either Avid BB7 Mechanical Discs or a nice pair of Hydros.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
B-e-a-utiful bike man.

Maybe a new fork, like a daul crown or something with a little more travel. Adn like rpk said, look into a diffrent shock.

patmiass123

Chimp
Oct 11, 2005
Lee, Mass
i could tell the rear shock was kinda weak cuz the first 4 foot drop i did (to a smooth landing) it almost bottomed out, other than that its pretty nice, i was looking at the new marz rear shock cuz i heard that the aniki really has only 5" of travel not 7" but thats just wat i read on a review.

patmiass123

Chimp
Oct 11, 2005
Lee, Mass
sorry people i guess if ya wanna se the pics you can leave ur email and ill send them to you but other than that i dont kno wat to tell ya.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
patmiass123 said:
i could tell the rear shock was kinda weak cuz the first 4 foot drop i did (to a smooth landing) it almost bottomed out, other than that its pretty nice, i was looking at the new marz rear shock cuz i heard that the aniki really has only 5" of travel not 7" but thats just wat i read on a review.
Just get a heavier spring. That bike is solid. The first thing I would upgrade would be the mainipou. A marzocchi z130 or 150 would be awsome on that. Or if you have a little more money a fox 36 would be really nice.

Next I would get a chain guide. You are going to soon find out you want one. It sucks riding downhill, when suddenly your chain falls off and you are sent over the bars.

Next I would upgrade the shock and/or rims.

I think all you need is a new fork, chainguide, and heavier spring for the shock. You can sell the fork for maybe $200 and get a z130/ z150 for about $200 or $300.

patmiass123

Chimp
Oct 11, 2005
Lee, Mass
clandestine said:
thats pretty cool, my friend wants to get one too
how much did you get ures at?
i got it for $500. im pretty good friends with my lbs owner and he sold me his that he had for a spare if something went wrong with the bike he uses all the time.

mtnbrider said:
Just get a heavier spring. That bike is solid. The first thing I would upgrade would be the mainipou. A marzocchi z130 or 150 would be awsome on that. Or if you have a little more money a fox 36 would be really nice.

Next I would get a chain guide. You are going to soon find out you want one. It sucks riding downhill, when suddenly your chain falls off and you are sent over the bars.

Next I would upgrade the shock and/or rims.

I think all you need is a new fork, chainguide, and heavier spring for the shock. You can sell the fork for maybe $200 and get a z130/ z150 for about $200 or $300.
cool thanks for the suggestions, and if i sell my old hardtail for $250 like i want to i could get a spring and maybe a chainguide if i have the money. and i read with the spring that people my weight were puttin a 700lb spring on it and it worked fine. and does ne one have ne idea how much it would cost for a new spring?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
A spring might be about $40 I'm not completely sure. E-13 chainguides are really nice. I have one. They are about $150 new, I think. The member dw (dave weagle) designed them.

You should look for a used marzocchi z130 (5") or z150 (6") . They are very durable and reliable. I have a marzocchi Dirt jumper 2 '03 with 5" (very similar to the z130, but the z130 is internally setup for more downhill type stuff.

Jul 1, 2005
Pasadena, CA
yeah i got one too. but i broke the deraileur on the first ride. then grizzle made me a billet one. now i have no problems. i rode it today and it felt pretty good. the head angle is a little too steep. my front wheel feels like it wants to tuck. a taller fork would help. i plan on getting a dhx 5.0 and some hydros, also an x9 group.

Jul 1, 2005
Pasadena, CA
i was gonna do either a 66 or van36 for a single crown

BUT a co-worker of mine is selling a stance kingpin with the air elimination kit which i may buy. i may also go with some jr. ts then get the super t kit from marzocchi. i may also just go with a travis single intrinsic.

the DHX i'm getting would give me 7"+ of rwt. if i remember, it will be 9x2.75.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Haha, i know who that co-worker is. We need to **** can those tires you have on that bike, and put some good ones on it. And get you a new front wheel and that fork. Next time we are at work we can jones through the QBP catalog for a front wheel for you. Or, if you want to just get a new hub and spokes and ill build you a new wheel, since your rim is decent. And practice your bunnyhops!!! :dancing: :mumble: We should do an urban session and see if we can get the PCC security guards to chase us. I've heard that the stairs at the front of the building are in need of being gapped :drool: :D

patmiass123

Chimp
Oct 11, 2005
Lee, Mass
Well i dont have the money right now I plan on gettin it next month or so, by then maybe I can have sold my old Haro for $300, my Manitou for $150-$200 like you said I might be able to, and gotten another $150 or so.

I might be able to get a new fork like the Z130 or 150, probably a 20mm hub for it for around $100, and maybe an E-13 chainguide like you suggested, and finnally get a new spring.

Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated seriously, if you have ne more suggestions please tell me.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
patmiass- If you are looking for something like a Z150, i would highly recommend steping up to a 66RC with 150 mm instead. The Z150 does not have any type of compression damping valving, and while it is a good fork, it will not respond to different types of terrain nearly as well as a 66 with HSCV will. I have a Z150 on one of my bikes, and you can set it up to be plush on trails, or firm on drops, but not both.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If you want a 66 6", you will have to wait for '06. the '05s are way too tall; the 6" is like a 7.5" fork an the 7 inch is like 8.5" fork. Next year, they will be way shorter. If you plan on getting an '06 66, it will be expensive. If you don't have a lot of money and want to ride, a z150 might be the fork.

oddblob

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Salem, Oregon
I bought the Aniki this summer. Nice, simple bike. Love it.

Since you're trying to stretch your budget, and doesn't sound like you're a polished expert freerider, I would recommend you find a used SuperT for your bike. Depending on the year it will be at least 6" which would be fine when you bump the Yakuza up to 7" in back, and you can get the Super cheaper than a 66. Also, and this may just be coincidence, I've witnessed 2 66's suffer nasty steerer damage recently - one was a decent crash but the other wasn't and the fork shouldn't have bent, IMO. Not that you couldn't break a SuperT, and I know many people love their 66's, but I'm not sold on their strength vs. a double crown. I've got a 2002 SuperT, paid $200 for it, and have ridden the daylights out of it without a hiccup. I really think that for the $$$, the Super T is a better bargain. The Z150 is a good fork for a long-travel trail bike, but a little light for full on freeride.

So my opinion in a nutshell: Get a used SuperT, don't pay more than $300, ride the living crap out of it, and in another year or so you'll be able to pick up a used 7-8" 888r for $300. As long as I'm rambling, the key upgrades for freeride fun: Hydraulic brakes (Deores w/8" rotors are cheap and effective), Decent fork with 6" or more of adjustable travel (Super T is best tradeoff between $/Performance IMO) and a good chainguide (I love my Blackspire dewlie). Everything else can be swapped to fit your preferences and budget as you go along. And when something breaks, buy a stronger one.

Okay, that was a big nutshell...sorry.

-Wade

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
A super-t is great fork. Maybe you should just get that if you are going to a lot downhill type stuff. Those can be found for $300-$400 used.

When i get a 7.3, I am goin to sell the fork and replace it with a super-t. a super t is much better than a drop off or a jr. t as it doesn't spike over studder bumps (lock out over fast bumps).

patmiass123

Chimp
Oct 11, 2005
Lee, Mass
oddblob said:
I bought the Aniki this summer. Nice, simple bike. Love it.

Since you're trying to stretch your budget, and doesn't sound like you're a polished expert freerider, I would recommend you find a used SuperT for your bike. Depending on the year it will be at least 6" which would be fine when you bump the Yakuza up to 7" in back, and you can get the Super cheaper than a 66. Also, and this may just be coincidence, I've witnessed 2 66's suffer nasty steerer damage recently - one was a decent crash but the other wasn't and the fork shouldn't have bent, IMO. Not that you couldn't break a SuperT, and I know many people love their 66's, but I'm not sold on their strength vs. a double crown. I've got a 2002 SuperT, paid $200 for it, and have ridden the daylights out of it without a hiccup. I really think that for the $$$, the Super T is a better bargain. The Z150 is a good fork for a long-travel trail bike, but a little light for full on freeride.

So my opinion in a nutshell: Get a used SuperT, don't pay more than $300, ride the living crap out of it, and in another year or so you'll be able to pick up a used 7-8" 888r for $300. As long as I'm rambling, the key upgrades for freeride fun: Hydraulic brakes (Deores w/8" rotors are cheap and effective), Decent fork with 6" or more of adjustable travel (Super T is best tradeoff between $/Performance IMO) and a good chainguide (I love my Blackspire dewlie). Everything else can be swapped to fit your preferences and budget as you go along. And when something breaks, buy a stronger one.

Okay, that was a big nutshell...sorry.

-Wade
i personally dont mind it being a big (but very usefull and informative) nut shell. thanks for the suggestions, and i think i will be doing a little more downhill kinda stuff rather than freeride, but i will still do freeriding. thanks both of u for the suggestions it was seriously helpfull. and if ne one has ne other ideas i will be happy to hear them.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Then you should probably get the super-t. I am going to use the iron horse 7.3 w/ superT for downhill racing, freeridng, resort riding- all around dh/fr.

If you are going to do some climbs, a super-t climbs okay, unless you are a weight weenie xc ridgid bike rider. Just put a seat up for the climbs and keep spinning your cranks.

Its a very good fork. Maybe you should get an '04. Some '04s are all black (thats what i'll be getting). That would look really good on their. The newer ones are 7" and the old ones are 6", im not sure on the years. THe 7" might make it a little slack, but that would probably be okay using the e13 reducers.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
a Z150 would fit GREAT.
the splice is like 7.2lbs i think. I love manitou but not that line.
If you are cash friendly then go for it and get the Fox 36.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
hey, just wanted to chime in here, don't forget to look at used Manitou Sherman 1.5 forks. they usually go for pretty cheap on ebay, or from some place like www.greenfishsports.com the breakout (150mm) or breakout+ (170mm) would be a great fit on that bike. you'd just need the crown race (and bearing race) for that headset, although you could splurge and get a new sealed bearing 1.5 headset instead.

patmiass123

Chimp
Oct 11, 2005
Lee, Mass
well right now its all about getting the best that i can find for the cheapest, so if i can find a 6" super t ill probably get it, and no im not a weight weenie, im strong enough to push the bike up hills if needed or carry it. plus the way i look at it more weight creates more momentum.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
I think the Aniki is about the best FR ready bike you can get for the price. Nothing on it is really "weak."

Only problem I had is with the soft stock spring in the rear. Upgrade that and it's all good!

If money is an issue, there's only 1 fork you should even consider for it. Get the 2005 Sherman Flick PLus from jensonUSA.com for $289. 150mm of travel.

I have the same fork on my Aniki, it's absolutely perfect!

Besides the fork and rear spring, the only other thing to upgrade would be the front tire. Mine handles huch better now with a Kenda nevegal up front.

Really is a kickass bike for entry Freeride. Good build for a dual suspension. Not to mention the fact that it comes with one of the coolest frames money can buy, I love that chunky top tube section where it meats the head tube, NEVER GOING TO BREAK!

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
Spokompton said:
If money is an issue, there's only 1 fork you should even consider for it. Get the 2005 Sherman Flick PLus from jensonUSA.com for $289. 150mm of travel.

I have the same fork on my Aniki, it's absolutely perfect!
i have the same on my P.2 which i have abused dhing and freeriding, great fork

Cliff13

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
NC
Are the 05 anikis diffrent then the 06 ones? I wanted to get a black one like yours and was wondering if they still sell them?

Cliff13

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
NC
i have the ojiki wich is a step up of the aniki.. and its not to good for climbing but aniki might be diffrent. defantly a great bike for the price. buy one!