Quantcast

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Built in the 1920's, in Chicago. Rebuilt recently by a friend of mine. It sounds great & feels great. I am stoked. I can't wait to learn some bluegrass numbers & some gypsy tunes & some celtic tunes.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
my dad tried his hand at the mandolin. it was a piece of shlt, which didn't help the fact that he sucked. always blamed it on his fat fingers lol.

good luck with that, and maybe someday you can move up to a guitar.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
lol.
yall are always good for a laugh.

It is just amazing to me that an instrument almost 100 years old can have such an amazing sound. I wish I knew everyone who had it before me, not personally known but knew who owned it previously. It has been passed around a bunch of bluegrass players here in town & evidently it is louder than some gibson f-5s. fk yeah.

Last edited:

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Very nice! I keep thinking I'd like to try learning mandolin if I could pick up one for not too much money. Not sure if I'd want to start with a 4-string or one strung like yours. I think I'd take to it more quickly than guitar, since it's strung just like a violin. I played viola for years (just a 5th lower) and did alot of pickin' while killing time in rehearsals. Have fun with it!
- Joe

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
lol.

It is just amazing to me that an instrument almost 100 years old can have such an amazing sound. I wish I knew everyone who had it before me, not personally known but knew who owned it previously. It has been passed around a bunch of bluegrass players here in town ....
And now, it belongs to you. A bit of a sad story, really...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
lol.

It is just amazing to me that an instrument almost 100 years old can have such an amazing sound. I wish I knew everyone who had it before me, not personally known but knew who owned it previously. It has been passed around a bunch of bluegrass players here in town & evidently it is louder than some gibson f-5s. fk yeah.
Very cool! I have a student who plays and it's awesome! One of the instruments that I don't know how to play, but I would enjoy trying to learn!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Congrats TN, that looks like a fantastic instrument. If you ever get a chance, post an audio clip so we'll know what she sounds like. And if you come out to So Cal, bring it with you. We'll jam on some Irish trad. :thumb: (I play tin whistle.)

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
still play. i think i have hit my plateau with out lessons or some serious dedication. i am much better at my washtub bass.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
Built in the 1920's, in Chicago. Rebuilt recently by a friend of mine. It sounds great & feels great. I am stoked. I can't wait to learn some bluegrass numbers & some gypsy tunes & some celtic tunes.

Nice mando! It looks a bit like my 1932 Martin mandola. My mandolin is a 1923 Gibson A style Snakehead, though playing seems to be taking a bit of a holiday lately