Quantcast

My new Maxis tires are wierd

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
On my hardtail I had been running 2.35 60d high rollers for a few months. I wanted to try some 2.5s for the race in Parkfield, CA. At cambria I got 2.5 40d mobsters. I mounted them and they are the same size as my 2.35s. The back might be barely a hair wider.

Its not like I have thin rims. I have Mavics; ex325 in the rear, and an ex 721 in the front.

Shouldn't I be able to notice a difference? My friend was completely stumped. :think:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I rode a 1.95 Kenda Nevegal in back and a 2.0 Bontrager in front at Parkfield the last two years, and didn't have any problems. I too ride a hardtail. XC tires with high pressure rule out there. No rocks really, except for at the end of the g-out. But you'll be fine with those Maxxis tires, no worries. It's always good to have fresh rubber. Don't reuse your rubbers, that's gross.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The tires will stretch. My brand new 2.5s are the same size as my used 2.35s. They will stretch a little.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
dhkid said:
dude, you have two rims which have different widths. go figure. :rolleyes:
dude, if you read his post more closely you'd realize he's comparing 2.35 vs 2.5 ON A GIVEN RIM.

the consensus on maxxis seems to be that:

a. they stretch out a bit and get a little bigger over time.
b. even after being mounted for a long time, they still are narrower than other brands (like specialized) that are marked with the same nominal size.
c. the above maxxis issues will vary depending on exactly which model you're using.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Interesting side note:

The guy that measures Maxxis Tires is also the guy that came up with the mathematical theory for measuring Pinkbike Kid drops.

Strange but true.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
dropmachine.com said:
Interesting side note:

The guy that measures Maxxis Tires is also the guy that came up with the mathematical theory for measuring Pinkbike Kid drops.

Strange but true.
yes, amazing how complicated it is to measure distance or length. i'm sure that tire companies that exaggerate tire size are making an honest mistake. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I looked at the rear again and its rubbing the seatstay. The rim needs to be centered and is a little bent. I will probably just put my 2.35 on the back.

I think thats a okay setup anyway. rear-2.35 60d highroller, front- 2.5 40d mobster (I know it not really a front tire, but I'm not a racerboi yet and probably won't notice it).

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
bikenweed said:
I rode a 1.95 Kenda Nevegal in back and a 2.0 Bontrager in front at Parkfield the last two years, and didn't have any problems. I too ride a hardtail. XC tires with high pressure rule out there. No rocks really, except for at the end of the g-out. But you'll be fine with those Maxxis tires, no worries. It's always good to have fresh rubber. Don't reuse your rubbers, that's gross.
I reuse my rubbers. But only when I'm alone.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Well, I'm reusing one rubber.

bikenweed said:
(snip) I rode a 1.95 Kenda Nevegal in back and a 2.0 Bontrager in front at Parkfield the last two years, and didn't have any problems. I too ride a hardtail. XC tires with high pressure rule out there. (snip)
Would it be better if I used both old rubbers.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Doubling up, contrary to popular belief, is actually more dangerous. Too much friction on the rubber, and it will wear through, thus cuasing unwanted leakage.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
bikenweed said:
Doubling up, contrary to popular belief, is actually more dangerous. Too much friction on the rubber, and it will wear through, thus cuasing unwanted leakage.
That's why I put some of Stan's fluid in them.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Lol Mobster is a fine front tire it sticks well and is dependable.... personally i am running 2.35 SUper tacky High rollers front and rear with stans........Maxxis tires are always strange in tehre sizing Just like with Car/truck tires it all depends on who and where they are measuring a Maxxis 2.5 is comparable to a specalized 2.3....Most all Maxxis tires run thin My 2.35's feel More like 2.0's to me and teh 2.35 rear and 2.5 front youll come to find is more common than you would think......But remember Most every Duel casing 2.35 from maxxis was Discontinued and are available as SIngle casing.... So if ya really like teo 2.35 buy them up while tehre still avaiable
________
Zoloft Lawsuit

Last edited:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
So they are really not making dual ply tires anymore. I'm going to get some of those at cambria. Why are they only doing single ply. Are they discontinuing the tires that had dual plys or just making them with single plys? WHY?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Its just on teh 2.35's there doing away with teh dula casing's not there whole line....... Crazy Phil Our Maxxis rep was flat out with it... "the 2.35's in a Duel case just didnt sell the way they wanted them too in the past few years more and more bikes fit the 2.5 and thats what is selling".... this can be good for a short term cause like with me i wanted to try 2.35's front and rear and see how i like the Faster rolling...... i got my HR's for 10 bucks a peice<Was bad and bought form Jensons when i work at a Bike shop> But i couldnt even buy them for that cheap at wholesale...... nice time to stock up on tires is when there getting cleared out Jenson usa was clearing the Super tacky 2.35 high roller for 14 single 12 for two and 10 each for four or more.... i have ten sittingout in my garage not counting what is on bike now
________
Live sex

Last edited: