Quantcast

My new mini DH bike

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Waiting on a clamp so I can put the back brake on. I need to save a little more money then I'll be picking up a 36 and a nicer stem. This bike rips, it feels like a 6 inch slalom bike.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
a 6 inch slalom bike except a trail bike with just over 5 inches of travel?! but seriously, i'll give it to you that the bike rides pretty well judging by my parking lot test. very slalom-ish indeed, the sight of that 40mm stem makes me want to kill myself though. wait till you see my nomad.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Potent successor for the famous Blur 4x? Is that a BLUR LT2? Liking what I see although head angle looks pretty steep. Couple guys have done mods on the rear shock lenght in order slack the head angle and get a more "Blur 4x" feel to their Blur.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Shoulda got a nomad if you wanted mini DH
I rode a nomad. Liked the Lt2 better. The nomad felt too much like a DH bike too me. It has 20MM of travel, descends like it does but I feel like it corners and pedals too much like a boat to make up for it. I find when that little bit of travel does make the difference is when I want a real DH bike.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Potent successor for the famous Blur 4x? Is that a BLUR LT2? Liking what I see although head angle looks pretty steep. Couple guys have done mods on the rear shock lenght in order slack the head angle and get a more "Blur 4x" feel to their Blur.
With a 36 on it they are like 67.5. pretty much perfect.

It's a blur 4X with more travel. I love it

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
With a 36 on it they are like 67.5. pretty much perfect.

It's a blur 4X with more travel. I love it
Have you ever ridden a blur 4x? Just curious because I built one up and I'm starting to think I made a mistake, I think it's just going to be too small. I'm taking it out on an XC ride on friday, that will be the first true test.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
How tall are you?

I am 6'3 and have a 4x, and yes its too small for me by a bit. With massive seatpost extension though, I make it work, and it makes me happy.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
How tall are you?

I am 6'3 and have a 4x, and yes its too small for me by a bit. With massive seatpost extension though, I make it work, and it makes me happy.
Damn, you have me beat, I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. All I've done is a parking lot test ride, so I'll hold back further judgment until I get it out on the trails.:)

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Have you ever ridden a blur 4x? Just curious because I built one up and I'm starting to think I made a mistake, I think it's just going to be too small. I'm taking it out on an XC ride on friday, that will be the first true test.
Yea I have, I did a run in downieville on one. but I'm 5"9 so mediums just usually kind of fit perfectly.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
We need AmishMatt to chime in here.... he owns one (4X) and is loving it. Using it for aggressive trail riding and mentioned wanting to take it DH'ing on our next trip. Saw Morewood on your signature.... he also rides one of those for his DH bike.

Should be a good comparo for you if he grabs onto this thread.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Don't mean to hijack but I thought I'd share since Matt requested...

Here it is with "proper" seat extension

Sorry, I took a few more detailed pics of the controls and other bits but they didn't come out. I'll take more pics when I get an actual wheelset and not ones I stole off other bikes.

(random fact: the Halo front wheel on it weighs 1250 grams :eek:)

Total bike came in at 29lbs with the tank front wheel and tubes.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Very nice! Getting any interference with the chainguide and lower link? Mine wants to rotate back and rub the link.

Anyway... how was the ride? Is the bike a keeper? (feel free to start a new thread if you want.)