Quantcast

My *New* New Bike Thread

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
So it would appear that the Gods have been good to me and come bonus time next Thursday I may be in the market for a new mountain bicycle. As such the amount I can spend on said new bike is TBD, but I am doing my research now, reading reviews, poring over specs, and seeing who has what for how much. Sadly I haven't even done so much as contemplate purchasing a new dirt machine in a very long time so my knowledge is outdated.

Current situation:
I am on a 2002 Turner RFX with 5" rocker plates and a Fox 36. 1 x 9 drivetrain, 26" wheels. Heavy, but predictable.

Height = 5'7"
Weight = 165 lbs

Desires:
5-6" bike
11 speed drivetrain
Dropper post
27.5"
Aluminum (I would go carbon but I'm not a dentist)

Budget: Realistically up to $3K

It will be used all up and down the Front Range and CO, Moab, and must be suitable for East Coast Rox too. I am a competent climber and competent descender but am neither good nor fast at either. I do not have any bro deals or hookups, so my loyalty to any particular brand or shop is nil. Obviously the cheaper the better but it would appear that I will be holding onto this one for a while so I don't mind paying a little bit extra for something durable and able to weather the constant tide of changing standards.

Bikes on the to check out list at the moment:
Trek Slash
Specialized Enduro
Knolly Endorphin
Transition Bandit, Scout, and Patrol

And go! Rain your collective knowledge down upon me Ridemonkey.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Congrats on your bonus! I cannot make a suggestion - what I like in a bike makes monkies laugh. I too got a kick ass bonus this year and went bike shopping. I learned that the retail market is saturated with 2014 and 2015 models and that very little separates them from the 2016s. There are great deals out there, particularly in the smaller frame sizes.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Matt got one of these a couple months ago and loves it. Meets all of your criteria I believe.

http://www.commencalusa.com/meta-am-v4-purple-2016-c2x17825786
Are't Commencal French? I'd be worried about it striking on me.

Banshee Spitfire? :brows:

The Transitions look pretty sweet.
I've looked at some of the Banshee lineup but they just don't do it for me anymore. No good, quantifiable, logic based reason why.

someone posted a 2014 banshee spitfire in the classifieds.....looks nice.
Unless I hit another growth spurt at 30 I'm not sure a Large is in my future...

Congrats on your bonus! I cannot make a suggestion - what I like in a bike makes monkies laugh. I too got a kick ass bonus this year and went bike shopping. I learned that the retail market is saturated with 2014 and 2015 models and that very little separates them from the 2016s. There are great deals out there, particularly in the smaller frame sizes.
I've been peeping the leftover models and will be visiting one LBS this evening to see what older stock they have. No hesitation whatever about getting some NOS.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
This bike meets none of your requirement, had it been available when I was in the market...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Ibis-Mojo-HD-Carbon-w-Full-XTR-Talas-Kashima-Chris-King-Command-Post-/252405516942?hash=item3ac48a8a8e:g:R1wAAOSwintXSa6o

Also: What frame size do you prefer?
I usually find myself on mediums, though I'd gravitate more towards a tweener if possible. Most of my builds have been a 70mm or less stem, though the one time I tried a small Santa Cruz Heckler it was too small.

That bike is super sexy however. Such clean lines.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
That bike is super sexy however. Such clean lines.
I rode one of these in Bozeman last year, it climbs like a goat on crack.

If I see something interesting I'll post it. I never considered a GT until CBJ posted about his but ended up buying one.

I've also pedaled a size large Trek Stash - it was a lot of bike that rolled everything but was a chore to climb with. EDIT: Slash, the stash is a hardtail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Yeti-SB5c-Custom-PaintBuild-XTR-carbon-mountain-bike-Medium-M-SUIT-/252410654615?hash=item3ac4d8ef97:g:sCsAAOSwbYZXT2LS

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I rode one of these in Bozeman last year, it climbs like a goat on crack.

If I see something interesting I'll post it. I never considered a GT until CBJ posted about his but ended up buying one.

I've also pedaled a size large Trek Stash - it was a lot of bike that rolled everything but was a chore to climb with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Yeti-SB5c-Custom-PaintBuild-XTR-carbon-mountain-bike-Medium-M-SUIT-/252410654615?hash=item3ac4d8ef97:g:sCsAAOSwbYZXT2LS
Thank you for the links. I seem to remember you are on the shorter side as well, how tall? I stopped at the LBS on the way home from work and tried out a 17.5" Trek Remedy but it felt too long and steep for me. Makes me think I should at least entertain riding a few size smalls to see if that is the case.

At this point I have kind of accepted that I will be pedaling around something that is more of a chore to climb with. My budget just doesn't allow the 6" travel 27lb bikes that I am seeing a lot of as the $ climbs.

I'll have to check out a Specialized Enduro as well. Seems like a good mix of what I am looking for, though to be honest I am a bit lost on what I am looking for. Most of my riding is probably 5" bike compatible but I feel a lot more comfortable and stable on 6" oriented stuffs.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Interesting. Canfields are a lot less hideous than the bikes of past for sure. Still probably not within my budget unless I start jacking it now and go non-stop through June selling the loads at $5 a pop.
They are some of the more affordable frames. I got me one in last year's sale, $1.5k with ccdba iirc. Their short stays are uber fun, they are a blast going down the hill but they pedal really well.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Thank you for the links. I seem to remember you are on the shorter side as well, how tall? I stopped at the LBS on the way home from work and tried out a 17.5" Trek Remedy but it felt too long and steep for me. Makes me think I should at least entertain riding a few size smalls to see if that is the case.

At this point I have kind of accepted that I will be pedaling around something that is more of a chore to climb with. My budget just doesn't allow the 6" travel 27lb bikes that I am seeing a lot of as the $ climbs.

I'll have to check out a Specialized Enduro as well. Seems like a good mix of what I am looking for, though to be honest I am a bit lost on what I am looking for. Most of my riding is probably 5" bike compatible but I feel a lot more comfortable and stable on 6" oriented stuffs.
I am 5ft7 and 175. I used to ride medium and some large frames because that is what LBS stocked. I never bothered with manufacturers recommendation for frame size until I was encourage to at least try out a small frame for my warranty XTC, the replacement frame was about 1.5" shorter in wheelbase and maybe 2" in reach, just riding around you couldn't tell much difference but the handling on tight trails seemed like night and day and my OTB incidents where less frequent.

People spend a lot of time and money getting fitted for road bikes, why not for trail bikes?

You can often find 26 & 29 inch Enduros for good prices the 650s are harder to find at a discount, my LBS has a row of 29ers and no 650s in stock, all their open to buy is tied up in large wheels no one wants.

I am not a DH bomber so I wouldn't have good advise but I can say that I routinely use 80 to 90% of available travel without ever feeling it, no one ever complains about too much travel.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You are right, I keep seeing deals on 26" bikes but am trying to avoid them because well, for non-DH bikes it would appear to be a dying breed. I'd hate to invest in an age old standard that is being cast aside in front of a new fangled wheel size. I'll have to make the rounds and see if any shops happen to have small frames to try out.

Never ridden a 29er but my preference would be 27.5" if I have to move up to something.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

How about a 5" bike with a 6" fork? Seems to be a good compromise between price/weight/climbing/descending.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
How about a 5" bike with a 6" fork? Seems to be a good compromise between price/weight/climbing/descending.
That's currently how my Turner has been setup for the past 6 years or so; it would be a short adjustment period. In reality I think that's probably just compensating for the fact that I like my bikes slack. For shits and giggles I may go fondle a Yeti SB-5C. The advertised geometry numbers are more in line towards what I'm seeking.

Then ago who knows. Perhaps I am overthinking this and will just end up getting used to whatever bike I find myself on.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Okay, so I went to an LBS and tried out the Transition Scout, Patrol, and a Knolly Warden. Impressions are as follows.

Transition Scout:
- Medium size was a smidge long in the top tube as configured
- A bit steep for my tastes, could be remedied with an angle set
- Definitely felt the part of a more nimble lighter duty trail bike. Component selection is appropriate but lighter duty than I would like
- Could certainly be the bike for me with some component swapping and such, but at that point I might as well just get a different bike

Transition Patrol:
- Medium size was a smidge long in the top tube as configured
- Appropriately slack, didn't feel too floppy in the strenuous parking lot test and handles curbs like a champ
- RockShox Yari felt great, very plush with a progressive ramp
- Decently light for it's build, felt like it could be a fast bike (at least compared to my Turner)
- Comes with a decent parts spec

Verdict: Third favorite bike so far

Knolly Warden:
- Medium size
- A tale of two bikes, one with the seatpost at ride height and one with the seatpost at aggro height. At ride height it felt very much like I was on top of the bike. In aggro height it felt like it was a bit cramped but very much in the bike. I can see how it would be great for descending but felt a bit top heavy riding around
- Suspension was very smooth. Quite a bit more agile than the looks may indicate. Appropriate ramp up.
- Construction was great. Felt like a very solid bike. Not the heaviest nor the lightest.
- Split personality not what I am looking for

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hit up another LBS on the way home. Tested 4 bikes with results below.

Specialized Enduro 29er:
- Wagon wheels felt unwieldy
- Rear suspension was clearly the loser out of any bikes I've ridden. Shock was properly setup but it was very harsh over square edged bumps.
- Geometry was meh.
- Definitely out of the running

Trek Slash 8:
- Felt like a long travel trail bike, but not in the way I am looking for. More of a XC type trail bike rather than a DH type trail bike
- Medium size was a bit long in the top tube. Still felt trail bikey with the seat slammed
- A bit portly
- Probably the best pedaler of the bunch when stomping on it

Santa Cruz Bronson:
- Medium sized, wasn't originally on the list but glad I tried it.
- Felt like a DH'ers trail bike. Slack, poppy and playful. Rear suspension soaked up square edged bumps very well and sending it down a stair set was very confidence inspiring.
- Head angle would get a bit floppy on the ups, definitely oriented more towards those who go up only so they can go down.
- Second best bike thus far all things

Yeti SB5:
- Why oh why did I ride you SB5. You are way outside my current budget but felt like a natural extension of my body. I hopped on and immediately felt like I could hit the go button and really shred. Head angle was appropriately slack while in seat post pedal mode but still felt like you could get aggressive when the seat was slammed
- Rear suspension was firm but dug appropriately deep when I rammed it into a curb. Managed to soak that up without much of a fuss.
- Stair launch test felt great, very controlled and planted
- Fox Float 34 was pretty okay. Smooth and all but not as precise or stiff as the Pike on some of the bikes.
- Decent parts spec for the price. BY FAR the lightest by like several pounds.
- Clear winner thus far. Wife says get it if that's what you want but I'm not the richest of girls and $4,500 is still a significant chunk of change.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Your wife is a wise woman. Just do it. That's what bonuses are for. :)

I am surprised you found the slash a good pedaler, the one I rode pedaled like a fat pig. Must have been the tires.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hit up another LBS on the way home. Tested 4 bikes with results below.

Specialized Enduro 29er:
- Wagon wheels felt unwieldy
- Rear suspension was clearly the loser out of any bikes I've ridden. Shock was properly setup but it was very harsh over square edged bumps.
- Geometry was meh.
- Definitely out of the running

Trek Slash 8:
- Felt like a long travel trail bike, but not in the way I am looking for. More of a XC type trail bike rather than a DH type trail bike
- Medium size was a bit long in the top tube. Still felt trail bikey with the seat slammed
- A bit portly
- Probably the best pedaler of the bunch when stomping on it

Santa Cruz Bronson:
- Medium sized, wasn't originally on the list but glad I tried it.
- Felt like a DH'ers trail bike. Slack, poppy and playful. Rear suspension soaked up square edged bumps very well and sending it down a stair set was very confidence inspiring.
- Head angle would get a bit floppy on the ups, definitely oriented more towards those who go up only so they can go down.
- Second best bike thus far all things

Yeti SB5:
- Why oh why did I ride you SB5. You are way outside my current budget but felt like a natural extension of my body. I hopped on and immediately felt like I could hit the go button and really shred. Head angle was appropriately slack while in seat post pedal mode but still felt like you could get aggressive when the seat was slammed
- Rear suspension was firm but dug appropriately deep when I rammed it into a curb. Managed to soak that up without much of a fuss.
- Stair launch test felt great, very controlled and planted
- Fox Float 34 was pretty okay. Smooth and all but not as precise or stiff as the Pike on some of the bikes.
- Decent parts spec for the price. BY FAR the lightest by like several pounds.
- Clear winner thus far. Wife says get it if that's what you want but I'm not the richest of girls and $4,500 is still a significant chunk of change.

I tried renting a demo SB5 this weekend, someone already rented the medium and the large has a broken brake lever. I am between sizes, which sucks as neither are likley to be ideal. Going to swing by the shop and sit on the large and see how it fits.

There is a very dentisty medium on ebay right now. Might go for less than a SB5 enduro

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I think you'd adjust to the head angle on the bronson, my nomad doesn't give me any grief.
Whatever you wind up with, if it has a monarch shock on it, budget for immediate replacement as that pos will ruin your life.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I think you'd adjust to the head angle on the bronson, my nomad doesn't give me any grief.
Whatever you wind up with, if it has a monarch shock on it, budget for immediate replacement as that pos will ruin your life.
You are right. I would get used to the head angle. But I think if I am completely honest with myself I don't need that much bike. I just don't ride anything that aggressive anymore and would value a bit more climbing prowess out of something like the SB5. Time has taught me I'm kind of a weenie and the benefits of a 6" bike are lost compensating for my lack of skills.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Large yetis are huge.
Went to a shop and sat on a few sb5. The medium would fit with a longer stem, the large would work if I slid the seat forward. Have a medium reserved for a demo next weekend.

The medium has the same TT length as my ancient Turner. Wide bars and short stem effectively put me in the same position as my old skinny bars and long stem. Would prefer to have a little more bike in front of me.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
You are right. I would get used to the head angle. But I think if I am completely honest with myself I don't need that much bike. I just don't ride anything that aggressive anymore and would value a bit more climbing prowess out of something like the SB5. Time has taught me I'm kind of a weenie and the benefits of a 6" bike are lost compensating for my lack of skills.
Check out the 5010, you can get into one of those for $3500 or so.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Check out the 5010, you can get into one of those for $3500 or so.
Not sure how I missed that one, thanks. I'll likely be heading back to the shop later this week with $$$ in hand to see if they will work on a deal with me. Right now the SB-5 Enduro is the #1 target but a test ride on the 5010 might prove otherwise.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Welp, I now know what my bonus is and now know that to sustain my highfaultin lifestyle I will be getting a Yeti. Now to stop by their factory at some point here so I can pedal a size small around. Wookie sizes abound in shops, not so much so for us Ewoks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm glad you've found something you've ridden and liked. Seems like nearly every bike review just serves to blow smoke up the asses of the manufacturers. Either that or each new thing is actually the best thing ever(tm).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm glad you've found something you've ridden and liked. Seems like nearly every bike review just serves to blow smoke up the asses of the manufacturers. Either that or each new thing is actually the best thing ever(tm).
One of the few things I've learned over the years is to seek input from multiple sources; some bike handling characteristics are not equal across sizes. I nearly bit on a new from the Web SB5 but couldn't find any feedback on the small frame size.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
One of the benefits of coming off of decade old technology. And I agree, most bike reviews are the equivalent of being asked, "What's your weakness?" in an interview and actually answering with good quality that you spin to answer that question. I'm definitely looking forward to a few newer pieces of technology, namely the increased range of rear cassette, the fantastic when working dropper post, and the significant weight reduction.

One of the few things I've learned over the years is to seek input from multiple sources; some bike handling characteristics are not equal across sizes. I nearly bit on a new from the Web SB5 but couldn't find any feedback on the small frame size.
I'll have to report back then. Everything I read says that at 5'7" you either end up on a medium with a 35mm stem and a slammed dropper seatpost collar, or a small with a little bit of play in stem length and seatpost height. Based on that alone I think the small might be the smarter of the two options.