Quantcast

My new ride, 97 Impreza Outback

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
this is my first awd car and i'm loving it. i always thought i'd like one but having experienced first hand what the ride is like, i am sold for good. i can't see ever having anything but awd again.
140K miles, $2,700, one owner (who kept meticulous maintenance records). i picked it up as a daily driver and its averaging 26-28 mpg.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Sweet deal! I'm looking for something similar, I have a company jeep that I drive around all week, just need something for traveling to races on the weekends.

5spd?

jwind

Chimp
May 14, 2007
Portland Maine
I one one just like it in green. They're great cars and AWD is the only way to go if you do any sort of significant snow driving. I've since replaced my 96 with a 05'.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Having driven my previous employers Outback Wagon, Subaru auto trannies eat a bag of dicks.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got an '07. I'm reminded of just how much I love this car every time I throw a mountain or road bike in the back without even having to take the wheel off :)
I love wagons. :cupidarrow:

'96 Volvo 850 wagon here. Kinda boring, but it gets me around. :twitch:

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
Since everyone else is, my buddy's suby and my 89 626.

heck yeah we strapped a homemade bench and some plywood to the trunk of my car.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
subarus rock...my dad always had mercedes but because of the terrorism in the 80's in peru he changed to subaru (also because he totalled it), and the whole family now drives subaru...is just more fun!

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
thanks for all the positive replies. yes it is a 5 speed and i forgot how much fun they are to drive. all i can think now is how much fun the wrx or sti must be. my buddy has an 03 wrx wagon and we went for a ride in that the other day along a very wrc'esque rode near my house that i frequently now drive in the impreza. i thought it was fun to drive in the 'preza but i quickly saw how it would pale compared to the wrx and i wasnt even driving it.
one thing i did notice was the greater rpms that he shifted at compared to mine. i know nothing regarding the specifics of the drivetrains but i assumed it must be gearing and the turbo, whatever it was the difference typically was about 1k i was shifting around 4200-4500 whereas his were 52-55. either way it was an f'ing blast and now i want one even worse than before.