Quantcast

My new Street/4X ride!

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
So excited, I just had to share this with the internet.

Frame: 2009 Specialized P3 (warranty #2)
Fork: 2008 Rockshox Pike 426 Air U-Turn, shaved and lowered to 80-110mm
Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet 1.125", red
Stem: Black Market Underboss, polished (flipped)
Handlebar: Answer Pro-Taper, ti Satin, 1" x 26"
Grips: ODI Rogue, red ano lockrings
Front wheel: Sun S-Type/Novatec 20mm hub, MEC 26x1.1" tube, Kenda Small Block 8 2.1" Kevlar folding tire
Cranks: Primo Powerbite
Pedals: Blackspire Maggy, black
Sprocket: Profile Imperial, 33t, polished
Chainguide: E13 LG-1
Chain: KMC X9SL Ti-N
Rear wheel: Hope Pro 2 Trials/SingleSpeed w/ steel female axle bolts, 32 Atomlab red spokes, Mavic 729 rim, MEC 26x1" tube, Kenda Small Block 8 2.1" Kevlar folding tire
Cassette: SRAM PG-950, reduced to 6 speeds (11-23)
Brake: Avid BB7 w/ Shimano cable, Odyssey monolever, Hope 140mm rotor, Hope ti rotor bolts
Seat: Specialized Fuse SL
Derailleur: SRAM X.0 short cage
Shifter: SRAM X.9
If I want to run singlespeed, I have a 13t cog and KMC 710SL chain lying around.

Feels SICK, super fast and an OK weight (27ish pounds, room for improvement), had some challenges though. Firstly, I had to add some spacers on the driveside, between the BB and crank arm, because otherwise the sprocket bolt would grind against the LG-1 backplate. I also had to run the LG-1 top guide higher than I otherwise would've, because the Primo crank arms would rub against the lower part of it if I ran it as it should be run with a 33t ring.

Next up, limiting the X.0 proved impossible. Because of the design, the easy limiting method, playing with the limit screws, meant that when reduced to 6-speed, it just wouldn't shift down. Impractical to say the least. So now I just have to be vigilant enough not to shift down too much. Any tips on that front?

STOKED!

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Um I don't understand how limiting a X.0 derailleur is that hard. I've made a X.9 a five speed by simply adjusting the low limit screw and the cable tension. Are you sure you adjusted it correctly? Otherwise Sweet ride i like the look a lot!!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Your cassette problem has to do with the 11 tooth cog. Because of this, you have to space the 6 cogs all the way outboard. This requires you to lock out the largest (most inboard) 3 cogs....as you have found out, SRAM mechs don't like this.

If you start with a 12 instead, you can center the cogs and then use both the high and low limit screws to lock out 1.5 - 2 cog 'spaces' on either end.

You can also try to thread the limit screw in from the backside, so the head of the screw ends up being the 'stop'...rather than the smaller end of the screw.

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
Thanks for the feedback guys! I spent a total of maybe 10 hours out riding street today, I have some comments on how it rides.

Pic as requested:

Commentary...stays are stupid-short, low low 15"s, I think. It feels GREAT. My friends with Riot & NS Suburban commented on how light it was (even though it's heavier than their builds) and how easily it spun and manualled. Feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, none of the "GO SS GEERS R GHEY" BS I expected. People are telling my the photos don't do it justice. VERY stoked. The gears aren't holding me back from tech street moves like I expected, which is very nice. Extremely fast.

I think part of the problem is that my friend who helped me throw on the X.0 doesn't know how SRAMs work, really. I'll tinker.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
NWD.. your problem with limiting is that you dont have the tension adjusted correctly. Thats my guess, anyhow. But that is probably the best p. ive seen. ever. congrats, sick ride.

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
Thanks for the comments guys. Surprisingly, it's been all positive so far. I think gears might be making a comeback! Consensus around the park is that it rides better than a Pinscher, Riot, or Suburban (the owners told me this).

On the derailleur front...well I think I'll admit defeat and take it to a bike shop, my friend admits he's in over his head, and as for my mechanical skills....well there's a reason I've been singlespeed for around two years!

My used X.9 shifter died on me today, so it's back to singlespeed again. :disgust1: I spent $200 on the entire gear set-up (used X.0 derailleur, used X.9 shifter, Profile sprocket, chainguide, chain, used cassette, and maybe something else I'm forgetting), so no big loss. I'll find another deal on an X.9 shifter somewhere.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
used cassette might cause some issues due to wear. Thats one part you want to buy new with your chain most times. But it really depends on how worn it is.