Quantcast

my new-to-me SS

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I found a too-good-to-pass-up deal on a Surly 1x1 almost complete bike (basically everything but a wheelset).

It arrived last night, I swapped out the rigid fork for my fox Talas, threw on a spare wheelset and it was set. Got up this morning and took it for a test ride before work. Everything feels good, though I have some dialing in to do. I think my rear hub is too wide, brakes need adjusting, and a few other very minor things like that.

but after about 30 minutes on the trails it feels really good. I'm a happy SSer.

The details:
- Surly 1x1 steel frame, medium/18"
- Fox TALAS fork
- Chris King headset
- Race Face stem and bars
- Avid mech disks, speed dial levers
- WTB Speedisk hub, WTB Speedisk rim and 2.35 Kenda Nevegal (rear)
- WTB Speedisk hub, old Mavic rim and 2.2 Michelin All Mountain (front)
- Truvativ BB
- Truvativ Hussefelt cranks
- Thompson post
- WTB saddle

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Somewhere in Mass, and it was $350 for everything in the pic except the fork (came wiht a surly steel rigid fork) and the tires/wheelset.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Thanks. I'm ordering stuff for it as I type. A fork for sure, possibly a wheelset and cranks... gotta see the final price tag for everything...

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
SWEEEEEET!!!

I love my 1x1 and I'm sure you'll love yours.

I think a 2008 de-badged Fox F100 RLC (white) would look great on your bike.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
Yep....Fox is pricey but gorgeous!!

What are your thoughts on the R7 vs the Reba? I'm thinking of upgrading the fork on my sofa (dual suspension weenie bike) and I was thinking of the Reba Race. I don't know anything about the R7.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yea, the talas was just so I could get it broken in a bit. I put the talas back on my yeti last night and took that for a spin. Reba could be here tomorrow, but more than likely Monday. Supposed to be a rain-out weekend, so it's not a huge deal either way.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yea, the talas was just so I could get it broken in a bit. I put the talas back on my yeti last night and took that for a spin. Reba could be here tomorrow, but more than likely Monday. Supposed to be a rain-out weekend, so it's not a huge deal either way.
I assumed it came off the Yeti (as that would be my fork choice for a Yeti). I just got word that my new bike is in so I will be building it up this weekend while it pours outside!

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
nice rig! but that lame fork, SUX! :poster_oops:
seriously tho, lotsa hardcore SS riders on Surly's over here, too.
lately seems almost more 29ers than 26.
anyway kinda wished i still had my Fox 100, when I'm tired

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
nice rig! but that lame fork, SUX! :poster_oops:
seriously tho, lotsa hardcore SS riders on Surly's over here, too.
lately seems almost more 29ers than 26.
anyway kinda wished i still had my Fox 100, when I'm tired
Love those people who get 29ers.......they put good used 26ers on the market!!!!

04sgsdh

Monkey
Sep 8, 2007
Hagerstown
Definite nice bike. I went w/ the $99 price point frame and some other random take-off parts. A nice 34-16 on the gear and she runs and hucks over terrain big and small. One day I'll shell out some $$ for a pretty bike.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Looks good!
I've got a black one with an 08' F80 RLC, all Thomson, Easton, and King bits, Raceface crank, and mavic wheels. Probably my favorite mountain bike i've ever ridden.