Quantcast

My New Toy

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
So I went out and bought a welder friday, as well as a bunch of 1/4" thick steel to make a bumper for my rover. My camera ran out of batteries yesterday night, so the last picture i got of my work was just the 4x4 tube mounted up for a mock up. Since that was taken i have finished the whole bumper and rattle-canned it black, its going to get line-x'ed tuesday, and have some mounting holes for D-rings mounted up as well. I'm also still waiting on my fancy LED turn signals. I'll post pictures of my finished work tomorrow. When finished it weighs in at 124lbs, so please try to run into me :p

The Welder

The old big worthless piece of plastic, thats going on ebay tomorrow

Bumperless disco

The main 4x4 tube bolted up

My other truck is an 8.1L :cool: mmmmmm 4mpg

J

JRB

If you don't build a bumper big enough to weigh the front into 3 inches of sag, I will call you a pussy forever. :D

*I wish I had pics of my last bumper that was on my 96 3/4 ton.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
kidwoo said:
Is that the mig that miller makes that can run off of 120 or 240?

You suck balls.

You must be giving santa claus hummers cuz no one else your age has so many toys.
Its 220 only. And no kevin i've just had pretty good paying jobs with minimal living expenses :thumb:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Curb Hucker said:
my mom is dead, remember :nuts:, and its also because i now get $350 a month from social security, which leaves me much of my money I earn to be spent on fun stuff :)
Oops, Sorry, But you still live at HOME. Which was my point, and you knew that.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
MancilG said:
sweet, I have been thinking about new bumpers for my rover. I don't have the skill to make my own.
I'm considering making a few of these bumpers and selling them. Looking to get $850 for them, which is well below even the cheapest/weakest aftermarket bumper out there. I'll post up some completed pics today.

J

JRB

chicodude said:
Oops, Sorry, But you still live at HOME. Which was my point, and you knew that.
You remember when I felt bad about the pimple comments??? You are making it harder for me. :mumble:

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Sweetness. Is that a 135?

I recently finished up my rock rails for my XJ. Is your bumper a winch mount?

Don't mind the haters, we live in a world and time conditioned to to consume. People who stray and create stuff don't make sense to most.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
loco said:
You remember when I felt bad about the pimple comments??? You are making it harder for me. :mumble:

Yea, I could pull up your picture and call you a fat tub of lard, but that wouldn't be nice, would it?

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
SkaredShtles said:
What the Hell are you talking about? :think:

This kind of stuff.

Brian HCM#1 said:
WOW!!!!!!! Don you sure know how top fu*k up a nice SUV
Westy said:
He should get together with my friend who just rhinolined the outside of a LandCruiser.
It strikes me as funny that people who ride bikes that are hyper-designed to perform in a niche don't see that obessive attention to details in other areas of recreation are perfectly sane. Or insane. Whatever. :blah:

The two activities being scoffed at by Brian HCM#1 and Westy are common modifications done in the 4X4 world to protect or enhance the truck so they are better prepared and equiped to go off-road. I would say they are equivilent to protecting a chain stay, or adding aftemarket or home made fork bumpers to protect a frame.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
ummbikes said:
This kind of stuff.

It strikes me as funny that people who ride bikes that are hyper-designed to perform in a niche don't see that obessive attention to details in other areas of recreation are perfectly sane. Or insane. Whatever. :blah:

The two activities being scoffed at by Brian HCM#1 and Westy are common modifications done in the 4X4 world to protect or enhance the truck so they are better prepared and equiped to go off-road. I would say they are equivilent to protecting a chain stay, or adding aftemarket or home made fork bumpers to protect a frame.
#1 Don lives in Chicago, they don't have hills to climb, only curbs. #2 When he bought the Disco it was very clean, so he F'ed it up. I could see if he got it from salvage (or salvage title) thats another thing. I could understand fixing up a Jeep or older Land cruser, Willy's etc. Not a Land Rover, that will only see mud puddles at the curbs of construction sites.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
850? are fab'ed Land Rover bumpers that much? does that include LEDs and Line-X? a Toyota rear bumper (1.25", .120), including rear quarter sliders, would run about $600, with powder, from CBI (www.cbioffroadfab.com). something like this:

wish i had the skills to weld.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
the Inbred said:
850? are fab'ed Land Rover bumpers that much? does that include LEDs and Line-X? a Toyota rear bumper (1.25", .120), including rear quarter sliders, would run about $600, with powder, from CBI (www.cbioffroadfab.com). something like this:

wish i had the skills to weld.

land rover owners can afford to pay the extra $250 :D :blah:

nice bumper btw CH, you should make a matching one for the front and mount a nice Warn winch in it :cool:

I wish I had a welder

J

JRB

chicodude said:
Yea, I could pull up your picture and call you a fat tub of lard, but that wouldn't be nice, would it?
It would be true. That's ok though, since I can help that. :eviltongu

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Curb Hucker said:
Its 220 only. And no kevin i've just had pretty good paying jobs with minimal living expenses :thumb:
I wish you lived closer. I'd be down with helping you out in exchange for help building a front tourist catcher for my tacoma.

Post some pics of what you make for jigging. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Brian HCM#1 said:
#1 Don lives in Chicago, they don't have hills to climb, only curbs. #2 When he bought the Disco it was very clean, so he F'ed it up. I could see if he got it from salvage (or salvage title) thats another thing. I could understand fixing up a Jeep or older Land cruser, Willy's etc. Not a Land Rover, that will only see mud puddles at the curbs of construction sites.
His Disco will see hills, mud, and general mischevious activity this upcoming summer whether he's driving or not; and I'll be sure of it.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Sherpa said:
His Disco will see hills, mud, and general mischevious activity this upcoming summer whether he's driving or not; and I'll be sure of it.

That's the spirit.

I have seen some Rovers kick butt wheeling. Even pimpy new ones.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Curb Hucker said:
I'm considering making a few of these bumpers and selling them. Looking to get $850 for them, which is well below even the cheapest/weakest aftermarket bumper out there.
Looks pretty sweet. Nice work.

I'd think twice before you start producing and selling them though... lots of really talented, experienced fabbers out there making very nice stuff for around that price or less, and they're barely scraping by.

Look at TJM and ARB stuff for a base and figure out if you can beat them on price (possibly, but hard) or quality (not likely... laser-cut, formed, folded, sheet makes for a beautiful and strong bumper.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
ohio said:
Looks pretty sweet. Nice work.

I'd think twice before you start producing and selling them though... lots of really talented, experienced fabbers out there making very nice stuff for around that price or less, and they're barely scraping by.

Look at TJM and ARB stuff for a base and figure out if you can beat them on price (possibly, but hard) or quality (not likely... laser-cut, formed, folded, sheet makes for a beautiful and strong bumper.
The pictures you see are no where close to done, I'm posting up the 95% done pictures in about 5min.

As for other bumper manufacturers, its pretty slim pickings when it comes to the rear of the Discovery2. Currently the only companies making them are Trek Outfitters, Kaymar and Safari Gard, which charge $1100, $1150 and $1500. The Safari Guard bumper is very nice, but the other two are overpriced, underbuilt, and look bad. And as for front bumpers there are many out there for the Disco2, Youre looking at spending about $900-1500 on a front bumper with Brush Bar. The TJM and ARB bumpers for the D2 have aluminum crush cans and flex and twist under winching, and the TJM has no better of an apporach angle than stock, and the ARB is worse. I'll probably end up buying a Rovertym front for my truck, which is a very strong and well build blade style bumper, it will match the rear quite well.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Ok now for some pictures of the near final product :cool: Tomorrow I am finishing up the final welding when i install my swiveling D-rings right next to the hitch, and also weld in a few brackets to increase towing capasity. But what you see is about 95% complete. It is getting Line-X'ed by friday and this should hide some of the tiny imperfections in the welds. I am very pleased with my final result, and had fun building it too. Just an FYI, i gained 8" of clearance in the rear vs. my old factory bumper and hitch, i trimmed 7" from the rear quarter pannels as well. I have some rubber trim coming to put over the cut body pannels to protect them from the elements. Im hoping to get it to a muffler shop soon to have the exhaust routed through the body like I'll show in a picture below. I'm going to be spending wed and thursday making an aluminum skid-plate for the gas tank, the skid plate is also going to be Line-X'ed.

This is how im going to get my exhaust routed

J

JRB

Looks good, bro.

*TN - I am not horribly fat. 200 for 6 feet. I could stand to lose 20 though. :( But alas, I am lazy.