Quantcast

my new toy

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
my p3 just came in... completely stock... unless if you count that i added a chain stay protector.

can't "really" ride it yet... still recovering, but that doesn't mean i'm not pedaling yet, just no jumps yet. (hence the high seat)

the second pic is where the new pins in my hand were put... surgery was on 4/19 i should be good again by 7/19... still going crazy though

Attachments

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Point that seat up to at least level!

Hand looks brutal.

You're gonna like your bike, the BB's a bit low, but you'll get used to it.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
this is my first dirt jump bike...

my last bike was a 39.9 lb'der... w/six inches of travel front and back.

i got this to force myself to be a more fluid rider... and cuz i kept wearin out the suspension linkage by doing lines of dirtjumps over and over and over and over again.

if anyone has any advice for returning to hardtails or basic dirt jumping or bike setup... please let me know.

-jeff

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
cool bike, sux bout the hand, im in a similar situation hand wise, broke my pinkie metacarpel(sp?) on 4/20 had surgery, put a pin down the length of the bone, i just got mine out, i got new jumps but cant ride em cause the hand. get better man rest up

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
this is my first dirt jump bike...

my last bike was a 39.9 lb'der... w/six inches of travel front and back.

i got this to force myself to be a more fluid rider... and cuz i kept wearin out the suspension linkage by doing lines of dirtjumps over and over and over and over again.

if anyone has any advice for returning to hardtails or basic dirt jumping or bike setup... please let me know.

-jeff
heal up, that hand looks nasty. i'm still getting into jumping because everything near me is destroyed, so i'm in the same boat as you when it comes to figuring out how to jump again. i scared the **** out of myself today even looking at the post office jumps in aptos. some advice though:
i destroyed my right hip flexor during the track season to the point where it hurt horribly to ride. when i was getting back on the hardtail, it was hard because the bike reacts to every bump versus my full suspension. go find a local bmx race track or just a set of rollers at a 4X course and try to get rhythm. try different lines at different speeds and you'll start understanding the way your hardtail handles in each situation. you're riding a pretty nice jump bike, so you should feel very confident on it within a short period of time due to how dialed the geo on those things is. don't get ambitious, but gauge your riding. if you're stomping all of the table tops with ease, don't keep riding them until you're bored. just try hitting the first jump in a medium size set of doubles, but make sure you're not pushing yourself. it's natural to feel nervous, but if you know that you couldn't clear a table the same size, then don't ride the double quite yet. just pedaling around and hopping off curbs, etc will help you get a feel for the bike and ultimately get you ready to jump to your full capability.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
actually... my physical therapist gave me putty...

oh, for the bmx track stuff, I have a pump track that is pretty local. that should work right?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
^yup, pump tracks are actually some of the best tools ever to really work yourself and the bike.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
This might seem silly to some. but I've had 6 hardtails over the last 5/6 years, and my latest bike(a Black Market Riot) is truley the first time I've ever ridden a hardtail. It's not really about it being a cromo bike or the brand or anything, it's just that this is the first bike BUILT for its purpose. I was always running stock bikes, a P1, a P2 AND a P3, an even an Evil Imperial with a dual crown(for street...?), etc. I was just using parts I had laying around and the bikes never worked right for what I wanted it for. Cranks were snapping, forks were breaking, wheels were bending, brakes were cheap crap. So I would always just go back to my fully. This one I went all out on, and it's exactly what I SHOULD have been riding 5 years ago. So to get the most out of the true hardtail experience, build that bike to work. That will leave you with no excuses other than rider error, which you CAN work with. Good luck!

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
those bikes look killer from a 3/4 view facing forward or back . . .

from the side they look like hell . . .

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
nice ride man, the 07s are dialed! i feel your pain bro, i got a titanium plate and 6 titanium screws doin lofe in my right arm 8 weeks till ridin time! whatd you do to your hand?

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
nice ride man, the 07s are dialed! i feel your pain bro, i got a titanium plate and 6 titanium screws doin lofe in my right arm 8 weeks till ridin time! whatd you do to your hand?
eh... i tore a ligament in my hand... had surgery... some nerve damage in my thumb and scarring on my tendon which makes it really hard to bend. if you're really curious, google game keepers thumb or skier's thumb.

on march 28th... i hurt myself, and cuz of insurance and work schedules it took till april 19th to get the surgery.

surgeon gave me 90 days from surgery till i go try some jumps again. As of now, i just got permission to pedal around...

july 19th can't come soon enough.