Quantcast

My new wheels...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I pick it up tomorrow

It's older than I was looking for, but it was a good deal and low miles. 2001, but only has 24000 miles on it (40000 kms). Loaded, leather etc etc....$5000 less than was I was expecting to pay.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
it's cool that you get to "test" it out in the snow right away. how is it in the fluffy white stuff?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Just another in my list of jeeps...

I really had planned on an '02 or '03. I fat-fingered my search on Autotrader.ca and accidentally included '01. It was the first one on the list. Must be fate. I can't argue with the mileage. My Cherokee in Seattle which was also an '01 had 45000 miles on it when I sold it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
damn, that's awesome mileage. my girlfriend, who never drives anywhere, ever, has 30k on her 2001 car (her sister has 100k+ on her 2002).

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I still have an older <1994> Grand Cherokee thats my everyday/workhorse car. 120,000 and still going strong esp with the 5.2 v8 in it.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Ha! I just saw your post on JU.
A 01 with 25K on it is nothing. The 4.7 is a tight engine and probably isnt even broken in yet. Id be more interested in WHY it only has 25k on it. Was it owned by a grandma who only drove it to the corner market and bingo?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Well... there are 3 mall annoying things wrong with it.

1) Driver's seat belt doesn't retract properly
2) Heated seats don't seem to work
3) front speakers don't work.

Hopefully this is all still under warranty. ...and hopefully that's all that's wrong with it!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Ok all you MMike haters! Get ready to laugh!

My new jeep is at the dealer with the transmission removed. I took it in to have a couple of small things corrected. ...seatbelt didn't retract properly etc... I also ask them to check the tranny because it would shift a little rough every now and then. They said sure, it probably just needed the tranny flushed.

So I get a call....The tranny has a ton of water in it. What's more, they think this may be due to the car being partially submerged at some point.... which would explain a couple of the "minor" electrical glitches it has....

After the holidays I'll be calling the guy from whom I purchased it to get my money back. Although I'm nervous that he could have me "whacked" if he so chose...... he um...let's just say he used the expression "fuggetta bout it" all too often....(that' not a joke)....

So go ahead! Laugh!! Laugh at my expense!!!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Transcend said:
Holy crap - you bought a car from the saputo's or what?

Maybe they use jeep's now instead cement sneakers?

I may as well have.... a guy out in St. Leonard... Always trust your gut... I knew I was making a mistake.

Here's his story:

He's in the middle of opening a restaurant...a Baton ROuge. He's not a car dealer perse. His buddy however is. And he gets him into the auctions. SO he claims that when he sees something nice, he'll buy it and and then sells it himself. He does it as a sideline. I did make the cheque out to his company....which had the word "auto" in it. It is POSSIBLE he didn't even know there was anything wrong with it. He showed me the paperwork from Longue Pointe (St. Leonard Jeep dealer....where I got my Liberty). They did check it out. All the papers had good dates, and my VIN on them. It HAD been looked at. Just not very carefully apparently. And the thing did drive jsut fine. It would just shift a little rough from reverse to drive about 1/3 of the time.

I'm currently trying to look up some stuff on Quebec's lemon laws. Google won't load for some reason, and I'm finding sweet fack all with MSN.com.....

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
STOP!!! Pull a carfax report on it immediately. Find out where it came from probably Florida sometime in September would be my guess. Make sure it never left the country...if it did this jeep was probably salvaged taken out to be "repaired" and brought back in to be resold.

Good luck, I wont laugh at you because I know this stings too bad. My uncle was a used car salesman in Vegas and said that the above scenario is very common and if that is what happened to you, the warranty may be void.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SkaredShtles said:
I'll bet at one point it was registered in the New Orleans area. :p
HAHA! I was gonna say it..KATRINA KAR!
do a carfax on it & check back with us ASAP.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Well I finally got Katrina back today....It's been at the dealer ever since. They completely tore down the tranny and rebuilt it. It's like new. about $4000 worth of work for free.

I'm really quite torn whether I should keep it or not. I mean, the tranny is now NEW. The rest of it has 25000 miles. It runs prefectly. I got a good deal.... But could I be setting myself up for heartbreak in the future? So I give it back, and start over with another one...that won't have a fully rebuilt tranny.... what to do, what to do......

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
DaveW said:
Well if it has been submerged expect random electrical faults for a few years.....and possibly higher levels of corrosion. :(
there's no way it was submerged. It was driven through a stream and got stuck or something. The leather seats and all that are still good.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
DaveW said:
Well if it has been submerged expect random electrical faults for a few years.....and possibly higher levels of corrosion. :(
Even without having been submerged its a GM vehicle, so electrical faults are the norm. My Pontiac has wiring issues as well as my friends Jeep Grand Cherokee. In my experience many GM vehicles have had issues with wiring.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Polandspring88 said:
Even without having been submerged its a GM vehicle, so electrical faults are the norm. My Pontiac has wiring issues as well as my friends Jeep Grand Cherokee. In my experience many GM vehicles have had issues with wiring.
When did Jeep become a GM vehicle? It's Daimler Chrysler.