Quantcast

My New Whip

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Curb Hucker said:
Dan, you dont seem to quite understand what youre talking about. Sure you might be able to tune up a vette or a ricer to maybe be as fast as this thing, but thats not the point. No ricer could ever have the suspension or handling this thing has, nor could a vette. The brakes on the SLR are more than a whole corvette costs, so it would cost a hell of a lot to make one of those cars approach this thing. It does have an automatic, but i dont think any person could possibly shift as smoothly as the computer does on this thing. We did a 3.0 0-60 run in it this morning, now if that isnt fast enough for you and requires a stickbox or flappy paddles then you should buy an actual F1 car. The entire frame is carbon fiber, every body pannel is carbon fiber, the seats are carbon fiber. This is not just some average Mercedes, it is a supercar and you just cant seem to grasp that. It does have the glitz and glamor of a benz, but when it comes down to it, its built like a racecar. The entire exhaust system on this car is stainless, and then enclosed in a bubble of aluminum/silver that has air flowing through it to cool exhaust tempatures. It rides like a plank, has very firm racing seats, and has an interior noise level higher than an old dump truck. it may be a benz, but dont knock the performance of this vehicle. Unless youve got an Enzo, or CGT then dont talk sh1t. And oh ya, this thing is a good investment, it probably wont lose value at all.
DJ, driving a supercar isn't just about the speed. It's the experience. A large part of that experience is manual transmissions. If the auto is faster so what? It takes out a major aspect of the challenge and fun of driving a supercar. I've never knocked the performance of the car, i've said i'm sure its an incredibly fast car and can kill almost everycar on the strip and the track. Also, if you care so much about getting the fastest 0-60 run go get a ricer, some of those can toast the slr. I mean its great it might have all this suspension and handling abilities, but if u and your friend are just doing 0-60 runs well.....
Most supercars' powerplants aren't meausred by their 0-60, they're measured by their 0-100 or 100-200, thats where the real fun is anyways. Well at those speeds around turns.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
gemini2k said:
I mean its great it might have all this suspension and handling abilities, but if u and your friend are just doing 0-60 runs well.....
so what? He just stated what he and his friend did. Big deal. get over yourself.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
gemini2k said:
that car ****ing blows, it's for tasteless people who know nothing of cars. Real sports car lovers get ethier ferrari's, porsche's, or real mclarens (maybeeeeee a lambo)
:rolleyes: Right...

"Real sports car lovers" don't always have half a mil to blow on a car.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Bicyclist said:
:rolleyes: Right...

"Real sports car lovers" don't always have half a mil to blow on a car.
i obviously mean real sports car lovers who can afford 700k dolllar cars, jesus read between the lines people. do i have clarify every single sentence i write?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
gemini2k said:
obviously you dont understand my point. It's not that the car sucks. I'm well aware its a very fast, very impressive car that will "blow away" 99 percent of the cars on the road. If you want a fast, flashy, expensive and impressive car, by all means go buy one. If you love driving, are a racing enthusiast, or are passionate about cars, then don't. I equate this to the guy who goes and buys some 4k xc race bike and then just rides it on roads and limestone paths. Sure he's got a nice bike, but he really has no business owning it. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy what they want, but somethings just don't make sense. Which comes to my 2 main gripes about the car (besides being a mercedes, ha ha ha). 1. supercharged oversized v-8? a true european super car like a porsche ferrari lambo, etc. are designed around a high rpm, lower displacement engine. Second, an automatic transmission? gimme a break. A real drivers car has manual, any joe blow can tell you that. It just proves the target market for this car. old rich guys who don't know how to drive real supercars.
And transcend, what is with you and personal attacks? i have nothing against you, but you decide to insult me numerous times, and imply that I am unintelligent and now either poor or incapable of large earnings. Neither could be farther from the truth. If you really want to go over finances and compare with me sometime i'd be more than happy to.

i'm not calling people who disagree with me stupid, i realize this is mostly based on perhaps less than rational, vague and subjective opinion.
Wow. Just stop while you're behind.

First of all, how do you know this guy doesn't deserve the car? You don't even know him.

Second, why does a V-8 not belong in a sports car? There's no argument for that one.

Third, do you realize that the most "real" drivers in the world, F1 Racers, drive paddle shifters in their cars? I guess Joe Blow can't tell you that.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Bicyclist said:
Third, do you realize that the most "real" drivers in the world, F1 Racers, drive paddle shifters in their cars? I guess Joe Blow can't tell you that.
I mentioned this, he seemed to ignore it. His beloved ferari 430 he kept mentioning uses this system as well.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
gemini2k said:
i obviously mean real sports car lovers who can afford 700k dolllar cars, jesus read between the lines people. do i have clarify every single sentence i write?
Sorry, I still can't understand what you're trying to say.

You say real sports car lovers drive Ferraris and Mclarens, ect. But what about those who can't afford those cars? Are they not sports car lovers? Does my $1400 Porsche 914 (when it gets a V-8, OH NO!) that will outhandle and outaccelerate most sports cars, and is way more "pure" than a Ferrari, not count as a sports car? I guess not.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transcend said:
I mentioned this, he seemed to ignore it. His beloved ferari 430 he kept mentioning uses this system as well.
I find it comical when people dig their own graves. :oink:

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
Thats a nice car, but it is designed for a particular market (as anything else) and its market is for older men. Now before some ass hat starts calling me some dumb kid let me make my point. Supercars now a days seem to have lost their touch, and no cars prooves that then a Mercedes, the Ferrari F-40 was one of the last supercars, you could see hte carbon fiber underneath the paint because the paint was so thin, it had nothing in it besides two seats, and a stick becuase it wasent supposed to be comfortable, it was supposed to bve fast. The Mercedes is designed for older men and in ways it is a poser car, because its meant to give you the sensation of driving a super car but without the talent of a professional driver. Most people cant even drive a super car due to the torque and the power it harneses.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
paddle shifters= manual, again backing up my argument. and actually for a while f1 drivers didnt even shift, the people in the pit shifted (telemetrics i believe its called). I'm no saying he doesn't deserve the car, i've said repeatedly if he wants to buy one, go ahead. I just don't agree with it. I've given several very clear analogies that i'm sure everyone on this board can understand (read my posts on this thread i don't care to repeat myself). Also, i'm not saying that he is, but i'm sure some people are, incapable of driving manual, then they really shouldn't buy this car, its just flat out dangerous. These aren't just cars, their race cars. You wouldn't just pick up some 5k dh race bike and go plow down a world cup course. You'd kill yourself. Hell i'd kill myself, I don't know how to drive a supercar. People crash these cars all the time because they're some hotshot millionare who thinks a car like this is cool, but dont respect or understand what they are.

Also, its not a "sportscar" its a supercar, its a minor distinction, but a distinction nonethless. Super cars should have high rpm, lower not low displacement engines. They provide more responsive acceleration, and better top end power (100-200 mph). They also allow for lighter weight cars. Again, this car should share more in common with an f1 car, not a muscle car. After all it supposedley designed by mclaren. I've ridden in these types of cars, I've felt the difference, i'm not some iggnorant kid, just arrogant.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
greg447 said:
Thats a nice car, but it is designed for a particular market (as anything else) and its market is for older men. Now before some ass hat starts calling me some dumb kid let me make my point. Supercars now a days seem to have lost their touch, and no cars prooves that then a Mercedes, the Ferrari F-40 was one of the last supercars, you could see hte carbon fiber underneath the paint because the paint was so thin, it had nothing in it besides two seats, and a stick becuase it wasent supposed to be comfortable, it was supposed to bve fast. The Mercedes is designed for older men and in ways it is a poser car, because its meant to give you the sensation of driving a super car but without the talent of a professional driver. Most people cant even drive a super car due to the torque and the power it harneses.

I love you, someone understands

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
narlus said:
i guess your definition of 'investment' is different from mine, or at least yr expectation of ROI...
actually supercars can appreciate immidiatley. My friend who's dad is a ferrari enthusiast, flips his ferrari's annually and makes about 30k on each one. It's really crazy, stupid ferrari should just raise their prices on the new ones. The wait lists are insane.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Transcend said:
I've ridden in these cars i know exactly what there tranny system is. A paddle shifter is not an automatic, thats why its called a sequential MANIAL gear shift, smg for short, m3's have them too if i'm not mistaken.

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
Yes, me dad has so make people wait around 2 years for Enzos and even more for mclaren f1's, and most of the people that buy them crash them or never drive them, the people that really know how to drive these sort of cars dont even bother taking them out on the street, becuase they dont belong there. They belong on a race track, why do you think Enzos have a tracktion control button and a race button. You dont need those crusing down the highway trying to pass a VW.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Bicyclist said:
Sorry, I still can't understand what you're trying to say.

You say real sports car lovers drive Ferraris and Mclarens, ect. But what about those who can't afford those cars? Are they not sports car lovers? Does my $1400 Porsche 914 (when it gets a V-8, OH NO!) that will outhandle and outaccelerate most sports cars, and is way more "pure" than a Ferrari, not count as a sports car? I guess not.

I'm talking about the target market for this car. People who are looking to buy this car are not in the same maket as you are with your 1400 dollar porshce (i'm not insulting your porsche, i'm just saying its totally different thing). I'm trying to compare apples to apples.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
greg447 said:
Yes, me dad has so make people wait around 2 years for Enzos and even more for mclaren f1's, and most of the people that buy them crash them or never drive them, the people that really know how to drive these sort of cars dont even bother taking them out on the street, becuase they dont belong there. They belong on a race track, why do you think Enzos have a tracktion control button and a race button. You dont need those crusing down the highway trying to pass a VW.

Wow someone who actually knows people with these cars and understands them on a first hand basis, amazing. Will you sleep with me :love:

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
I understand why people uy these cars, but i dont understand the concept of driving a car faster then anything in the world that can be driving legally on the street and feelin comfortabel, and most people dont know this, but if you dont drive these cars to their full potential, they start breaking and they get all these sorts of problems. So if your not prepared and dont know how to drive a car like this on a race track, dont buy one. Also cars like these have abd re-sale values. Unless the salesman is selling his.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
greg447 said:
I understand why people uy these cars, but i dont understand the concept of driving a car faster then anything in the world that can be driving legally on the street and feelin comfortabel, and most people dont know this, but if you dont drive these cars to their full potential, they start breaking and they get all these sorts of problems. So if your not prepared and dont know how to drive a car like this on a race track, dont buy one. Also cars like these have abd re-sale values. Unless the salesman is selling his.
This post made my head hurt.

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
haha well my head hurt before i wrote it, and plus i knew you were going to read it so i figured id make it as difficult and confusing as possible, becuase you deserve to be in pain..lol

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
gemini2k said:
I've ridden in these cars i know exactly what there tranny system is. A paddle shifter is not an automatic, thats why its called a sequential MANIAL gear shift, smg for short, m3's have them too if i'm not mistaken.
"Manual" without a clutch pedal (sequential paddles for the most part, tiptronic etc) is pretty much the same thing as automatic from a driver's point of view...only a person can't shift as smoothly as most computers can.

Seriously, if you want to call the people that drive these "posers" because they don't drive standard, then the SMG cars are just as bad. It takes skill to drive 300 HP with a stick and clutch, double clutching, matching revs, no destroying tires at every stop etc. These drivers do not have those skills or choose to not use them.

Pot calling the kettle black here.

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
Also Transcend, what makes you think your in a position to insult other people, im not talking about what you said above but about other insults, i bet you get your ass kicked on a daily basis, or maybe you just sit on ridemonkey all day with your door locked tryiong to feel manly by insulting people on the internet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
gemini2k said:
Also, its not a "sportscar" its a supercar, its a minor distinction, but a distinction nonethless. Super cars should have high rpm, lower not low displacement engines. They provide more responsive acceleration, and better top end power (100-200 mph). They also allow for lighter weight cars. Again, this car should share more in common with an f1 car, not a muscle car. After all it supposedley designed by mclaren. I've ridden in these types of cars, I've felt the difference, i'm not some iggnorant kid, just arrogant.
no, you are ignorant (and please note how to spell that for future reference), or at least incoherent to the point that your own point is being lost.

#1: it is true that the transmission in the slr mclaren is a slushbox, that it has a torque converter rather than a computer controlled clutch a la the SMG or ferrari f1 setups. however, this distinction is largely academic and the torque converter may well be better suited to the output of the car's engine. many drag cars use autos...

#2, re displacement: stop, really. justsomeguy already provided many examples of cars that totally invalidate your assertion. just to reiterate, the carrera gt, all lambos that i can think of, and many ferraris from the testarossa to the modern front engine tourers all have engines well in excess of 5 liters. sure, some supercars such as the f40 have had lower displacement engines, but it's hardly the rule that you make it out to be.

furthermore, "more responsive acceleration" might be a result of low rotating mass in a small engine, but it also could be from boatloads of torque from a big, forced induction v8, 10, 12, etc...

finally, as food for thought, consider the audi r10 race car. you must consider it sacrilegous, as it's 5.5 liters, and diesel to boot! i think that its results speak for themselves.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Transcend said:
"Manual" without a clutch pedal (sequential paddles for the most part, tiptronic etc) is pretty much the same thing as automatic from a driver's point of view...only a person can't shift as smoothly as most computers can.

Seriously, if you want to call the people that drive these "posers" because they don't drive standard, then the SMG cars are just as bad. It takes skill to drive 300 HP with a stick and clutch, double clutching, matching revs, no destroying tires at every stop etc. These drivers do not have those skills or choose to not use them.

Pot calling the kettle black here.
Go drive one, or talk to someone who has, its the same as an auto from a drivers perspective. Theres a lot more to driving sports cars than just "i'm driving along accelerating, oop shift at that rpm, i'm driving along some more going faster, whoops at the rpm again guess i better shift" It has a lot to do with "knowing" the car, where its powerband is at different gears/rpms, understanding how to get the best acceleration, top speed at certain points, an auto takes all of that out. We just push a lever on out dh bikes, but its totally different than if a computer controlled it :). Bottom line, until you ride in one/drive one/ talk to someone who has experience with them, it may seem the same, but its not.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Toshi said:
no, you are ignorant (and please note how to spell that for future reference), or at least incoherent to the point that your own point is being lost.

#1: it is true that the transmission in the slr mclaren is a slushbox, that it has a torque converter rather than a computer controlled clutch a la the SMG or ferrari f1 setups. however, this distinction is largely academic and the torque converter may well be better suited to the output of the car's engine. many drag cars use autos...

#2, re displacement: stop, really. justsomeguy already provided many examples of cars that totally invalidate your assertion. just to reiterate, the carrera gt, all lambos that i can think of, and many ferraris from the testarossa to the modern front engine tourers all have engines well in excess of 5 liters. sure, some supercars such as the f40 have had lower displacement engines, but it's hardly the rule that you make it out to be.

furthermore, "more responsive acceleration" might be a result of low rotating mass in a small engine, but it also could be from boatloads of torque from a big, forced induction v8, 10, 12, etc...

finally, as food for thought, consider the audi r10 race car. you must consider it sacrilegous, as it's 5.5 liters, and diesel to boot! i think that its results speak for themselves.

lol go diesels. we should have more in the US, simpler engines and better mileage. My point about the displacement/rev's thing is that a all others things constant, a large, low rpm motor is going to drive differentley than a high revving smaller engine with the same "peak horsepower". And something that is designed in the spirit of an F1 car should without a doubt be more of the later. Those kind of cars are far more impressive to drive and more impressive pieces of engineering.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
post script.

my rant about displacement is a minor one, i'm more adament about the high rpm's thing. Even lambos rev up pretty high these days. A car with a wider powerband and flatter torque curve, which are generally high revving engines, have more responsive acceleration, and have smoother more consistant power throughout their acceleration. Which again, isn't gonna make it faster off the line or anything, but will be far better for rapid braking and accelerating than some other car that is just a torque monster in the low rpm range.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
greg447 said:
Also Transcend, what makes you think your in a position to insult other people, im not talking about what you said above but about other insults, i bet you get your ass kicked on a daily basis, or maybe you just sit on ridemonkey all day with your door locked tryiong to feel manly by insulting people on the internet.
Yup, that must be what i do. I spend all day looking for trolls like you who cannot formulate a proper sentence. You know, one that doesn't run on for an entire paragraph and 3 thoughts.

One sort of like the post I just quoted. Grow up, and stay in school.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Transcend said:
Yup, that must be what i do. I spend all day looking for trolls like you who cannot formulate a proper sentence. You know, one that doesn't run on for an entire paragraph and 3 thoughts.

One sort of like the post I just quoted. Grow up, and stay in school.
shouldn't you be looking for trolls under bridges! ha ha ha ah ah i'm so funny, god i need a distraction from my econometrics project

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Jesus, reading all this **** makes me want to eat my brains.

Nobody in this thread is a racecar driver. We just drool over racecars. They're all fast. Get over yourselves.

It's really amazing how cars bring out the super argumentative testosterone-driven/macho side of guys (actually most anything with a motor does this). Being an engineer myself I can see and appreciate the fascination of nitpicking a project to its peak performance, but something I can't stand is this (mostly) unfounded philosophical bitching/spewing.