Quantcast

My new yellow 42lb bundle of joy!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Finally finished building up the new TR450 with as many mismatched colored parts as possible. I'm pretty proud of this one from the stand point of being pretty color blind.

I've named the bike Leisure Suit Larry. He's pretty suave.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
42 lb? I know you're not light but given you almost got a yeti you're not poor either. Strangely heavy.

What's the stem? Dartmoor or Diety? Isn't diety m5 screwed?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Diety. The old 303 was 44lb, so to me this isn't heavy.

Its a heavy kit.
- Saint cranks/BB
- Saint 810 stoppers
- Mavic 823/King wheels
- Gravity light wide bar
- Straitline pedals
- Geax DHEA/Neuron tires 2.5
- Chris king head set/tensioner

Its not light, but like Boris the Blade would say "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it."

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Diety. The old 303 was 44lb, so to me this isn't heavy.

Its a heavy kit.
- Saint cranks/BB
- Saint 810 stoppers
- Mavic 823/King wheels
- Gravity light wide bar
- Straitline pedals
- Geax DHEA/Neuron tires 2.5
- Chris king head set/tensioner

Its not light, but like Boris the Blade would say "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it."

I would bet you 500$ my current build could take you as well and it's 37.5 lbs with a steel spring. Maybe a 888 rc3 evo ti if you really fancy it but that's not a big differance. Somewhere you gain a lot of weight (though using a 823 front wheel seems strange unless you are a total hack). I'm probably 2/3 of your weight but I'm a total idiot and often do stuff that make people ask if my bike is ok and to their surprise it always is. Though given the weight I suspect you didn't go with the ti screw pimp kit. If you are smart and willing to spend some (not insane enve etc.) cash you can easily get it to 36lbs and still have a reliable bike.

NwRider

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Bellingham, Wa
Nice, have you ridden a Tr before? If not you're going to love it! Got mine a little over a month ago and its easily the most comfortable feeling bike I've been on (came off a 2012 Wilson) and fastest too.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Nice, have you ridden a Tr before? If not you're going to love it! Got mine a little over a month ago and its easily the most comfortable feeling bike I've been on (came off a 2012 Wilson) and fastest too.
Can you compare it to a Wilson? I prefer a more plowy bike though one with a more forward position so Wilson looked good (though it is so ugly).

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The front end is the x-heavy steel spring.
Shock has a 600# steel spring.

Weight isn't as big of a thing to me as it is to some other people. I'm not racing anymore, just riding to ride, have fun, thrust into corners, eat some trees and some rocks. I'm gonna be 35 this summer, and honestly I'm good with having a bike I can ride for days on end without having to worry about it falling apart.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I dig it Dirt. And 42 lbs doesn't feel that heavy to us old timers that ten years ago rode 50 pounders.
Christ, I thought you were dead! How the hell are you?
I'm going up that way in the middle of September. Where yo gonna be?

If I really like it, and its going to be around a couple of years, I'll throw some money into making it light in the off season. Though in honesty at 240# myself, the best place I can take weight off the bike is taking it off my gunt. So I figure its sweat equity more than anything else.

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Christ, I thought you were dead! How the hell are you?
I'm going up that way in the middle of September. Where yo gonna be?

If I really like it, and its going to be around a couple of years, I'll throw some money into making it light in the off season. Though in honesty at 240# myself, the best place I can take weight off the bike is taking it off my gunt. So I figure its sweat equity more than anything else.

Maybe we can hit up Stevens Pass or Whistler. I just picked up a new Demo 8 and I am itchin to ride.

NwRider

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Bellingham, Wa
Can you compare it to a Wilson? I prefer a more plowy bike though one with a more forward position so Wilson looked good (though it is so ugly).
No you cant really compare the two, completely different machines. The Wilson is definitely plowy with that split pivot, it just tracks over everything. Which was actually my problem with the bike, it tracked too well for my style of riding. I hop, skip, and float down the trail so the tr was a perfect fit, I feel faster than ever on it and I went from the Wilson to the Tr in one day...and i feel the 450 has a more forward position due to a longer reach. Both frames are mediums.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
This thing is made for a war in the disco. Not one matching color. If only there were blue aftermarket Saint 810 levers...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The front end is the x-heavy steel spring.
Shock has a 600# steel spring.

Weight isn't as big of a thing to me as it is to some other people. I'm not racing anymore, just riding to ride, have fun, thrust into corners, eat some trees and some rocks. I'm gonna be 35 this summer, and honestly I'm good with having a bike I can ride for days on end without having to worry about it falling apart.
I dig the build. I just suggest you can easily get away with 37lbs with a build that's very close in reliability. 38-39 probably you get the same. The heavy = reliable trend is of the old. Though yeah given you are much bigger then me minor weight changes will probably be less noticeable.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nice ride, dirt. Glad to see you finally settle on a bike. Love to hear your impressions of the fork. The saddle cracks me up though. You need spinners on it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I dig the build. I just suggest you can easily get away with 37lbs with a build that's very close in reliability. 38-39 probably you get the same. The heavy = reliable trend is of the old. Though yeah given you are much bigger then me minor weight changes will probably be less noticeable.
Not really. There's nothing on that bike that you couldn't ride for a season, put away wet, and dig out next season for another year of riding. I wouldn't want to try that with a boxxer/air shock/stanflows/singleply tire/etc sort of setup. Nothing he picked out is excessive, just stout.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
not really. There's nothing on that bike that you couldn't ride for a season, put away wet, and dig out next season for another year of riding. I wouldn't want to try that with a boxxer/air shock/stanflows/singleply tire/etc sort of setup. Nothing he picked out is excessive, just stout.
word.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I don't weigh my bikes anymore. I ride them.
a-f-ucking-gree.

The only person concerned with the weight of this bike is norbar.

It's a badass looking bike! I've never once been halfway thru a fun run or a race run where I thought to myself damn I wish my bike was lighter.

I really like the TR450. I have been trying to determine which frame to upgrade to and it is one of the frames I am considering. So many options and I am just not sure what will fit me the best.

Congrats on the new ride.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The only person concerned with the weight of this bike is norbar.
Nope, all light riders are. Dirt's ride is 17.5% of his body weight, my 7-8 #s lighter bike (compared to Dirt's) is still 23% of my body weight. So to improve that ratio I either have to get my bike lighter or frequent McD more often. ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not really. There's nothing on that bike that you couldn't ride for a season, put away wet, and dig out next season for another year of riding. I wouldn't want to try that with a boxxer/air shock/stanflows/singleply tire/etc sort of setup. Nothing he picked out is excessive, just stout.
I'm not saying there is. I'm saying you could go lighter WITHOUT sacrificing long term durability. The bike is still rad, I was just a bit surprised at the weight given Dirks budget.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
my bike weighs about 42lbs despite singleply front tire and tubeless for both :P

i dont think it is quite bad and I dont see a reason for bling titan screw swap anyway.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Love the scuba yellow and the leopard print seat is tits. I have a similar build on my 450 (2010 888 EVO, Saint cranks, 721 rims laced to 440s, ATACs, various 1,100 - 1300 gram tires with single ply tubes) and I think it comes out to be about the same weight. Interested about your thoughts on the Neurons, as I got one awhile back from Cambria and hated it as a front tire (never liked the roundish profile, but I also suck much). Anyway, I hope enjoy ol'Larry!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm not saying there is. I'm saying you could go lighter WITHOUT sacrificing long term durability. The bike is still rad, I was just a bit surprised at the weight given Dirks budget.
What I'm saying is I'm blessed just to even have a working bike at this point with kids. Just grateful to roost anything at this point. Well, except if I had an Ellsworth. Then I'd just quit.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I rode the Neuron/DHEA combo last season. It was a bit more prone to break free than the Maxxis DHF/DHR combo pack, but I sort of liked the ability to get loose on them.

I have the same set up in 2.35 on my XC/AM bike. I really like them for that. Lots of rear end dig.

I'm super stoked with my Transition. I am hoping to get out this weekend and see what it'll do.