Quantcast

My newest bike.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
:)

I still need to tune the rear der. adjust the seat a few other small things but this is it.

XTR cranks with single chain ring
8spd shimano XT rear der and XTR 8spd cassette
100mm Reba Fork with remote lockout
Hayes 6" disc brakes

The only parts I bought new were the frame and brakes. Everything else was purchased on RM and a few other site. :)

It almost looks like I have the camera set to Black and White.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
stosh said:
Fawk... maybe i'll just go with 3 speeds up front then...

yeah if you have some rings laying around it would cetainly be the cheaper option.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
you could just use two big rings on either side of the ring that is currently on there, you know just sandwhich them on it, i dont know if it will work but hey, never hurts to try.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
biggins said:
you could just use two big rings on either side of the ring that is currently on there, you know just sandwhich them on it, i dont know if it will work but hey, never hurts to try.
ha!
Ok well now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I was trying to make my life/bike simple.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
Looks good Stosh. Does that one have the EBB? Why not go SS w/ it since you have another geared bike?
no it's not an EBB. I don't want to go single speed. I'm not Metro enough for a single speed.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
stosh said:
no it's not an EBB. I don't want to go single speed. I'm not Metro enough for a single speed.

SS aren t for metros mate... :)... nice lookin bike btw... i still run 8 speed.... luckily it sux so everyone please continue to buy 9 speed SRAM..

what size is that thing stosh ?? i m gonna watch jenson closely as i think i need a replacement frame for my CUSS... gotta love cheap, nice quality frames... i picked up a 14" pricepoint reken frame for my wife for a beater SS... 99 bucks and awesome quality... better finish than my evil... :nope:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
stosh said:
If you're not going SS, then why use only one ring? Seems like you're just limiting the utility of the bike without simplifying it- front rings and a front der. aren't going to add much complexity and will rarely break, as opposed to a cassette and rear derailer.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
stosh said:
ha!
Ok well now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I was trying to make my life/bike simple.

so what you are saying is that ones bike setup can be a direct reflection of their life? or put simply, life is like a bike?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
FYI, a old front drl. with the limits adjusted makes a good front guide for that kind of set up.

nice bike btw

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I experimented with 1X9 for a while worked great while pedaling but would drop a chain if I ever pedalled backwards. I had the best luck with what wumpus recommended. Chain would still come off if I pedalled backwards but that setup made it real easy to get the chain back on and running again.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Sweet Stosh, I am glad to see it up and running!!! looks great... now all the people who have been raz'n you, and tryin to rush you can just FAWK OFF!!! ;) cause you gots a sweet new trailyrig!!!:thumb:

Cheers and here's to riding it in good health:agree: :thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Looks great!

Ride it a while before you go sweating a guide. I ran an 8 speed setup on my Azonic HT for a long time before I got pissed enough to ghetto an MRP roller and zip ties.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah if you run the chain a little long plus a long cage you'll prolly be OK provided the chainline is nice and central.

However if you do find the need for a chain device please don't put a wound in derailier on that nice bike. It is so pikey. Poney up the $$ and put a proper one on.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
maxyedor said:
Cool bike, but you have snow all over the tires. Clean that up. Just FYI I ren a 1x9 speed set-up on my DJ bike with a long cage der. and only drop a chain once every 6 months.
which is typical of a bike with 3 spds in the front and a front der. anyway.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
looks great stosh!!!! I love the flat black !!! My SS looks just like that but with a black fork too!!!!
This is what I posted on another forum about the bike so far.

" I can't say much for how it rides yet although just tooling around the drive way it fits me well.

The piant is thin so I have a bunch of lizard skin products on the way to help protect it. The brake bosses are part of the frame, IE. you can't remove them without grinding them off. That said, it was cheap, fairly light and BLACK! :)
The welds are typical of a cheaper foreign made frame but they look like they should be able to handle the the XC type riding I hope to be doing with it.
All in all I'm happy with the frame but have yet to take it out on the trails."

I have a pair of Kenda Nevagals on the way to replace the specialized tire I have on the rear of this bike and the Kenda Kinetic I have on the rear of my MKIII

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Looks nice man.
Nobody else said it, so i will. On my 1x9 setup I used a bashguard and a 3rd Eye chain watcher to keep the chain on. Worked like a charm and was pretty cheap to set up.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Nice!... I have a 853 frame on my single speed. The more I ride it, the more I like it. I'm actually thinking of offing my Epic and putting together a light XC hardtail. Probably a bad idea, but I'd really like to have something as light as the SS with gears. Have fun with the new ride!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
Nice build! I really have to get mine finished now!!! ;)
Your's will be a SS correct?

Trainwreck, I love riding my HT for XC far more than my FS trail bike.