Quantcast

My next road bike??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick one of these up when they become available in a month or two. It's a singlespeed but I can put gears on it. It is a road bike but I could put cyclocross tires on it and hit some dirt. I have a steel 29er frame sitting around I was going to build up for road use but I think this might actually be cheaper in the long run.

http://www.salsacycles.com/casserollCompSS08.html

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I saw that but I don't have the parts to build one up. I like to spec out each individual part for a mountain bike but for a road bike I really don't care. I'll slap on my saddle and pedals and ride the crap out of it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I wonder if you could find an 07 complete for a low price somewhere though. Worth looking into.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. you should throw up that Vassago frame into the 29er buy and sell sticky thread.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So many things about that Salsa Classico that I like!

Good part spec, rear drop-outs, bigger ring and cog than I typically see, longer chain stay, and the paint rocks.

Also, since it comes stock with 37c tires, I'm gonna guess that the spacing is wider than typical, which means I could actually get fenders and wide enough tires together.

I'd swap out the bars for bullhorns :)

How much is a complete?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So many things about that Salsa Classico that I like!

Good part spec, rear drop-outs, bigger ring and cog than I typically see, longer chain stay, and the paint rocks.

Also, since it comes stock with 37c tires, I'm gonna guess that the spacing is wider than typical, which means I could actually get fenders and wide enough tires together.

I'd swap out the bars for bullhorns :)

How much is a complete?

They say you can fit 32mm tires with a Fender.

I'd swap out the seat post.

Supposedly going for around $850 but it is just vaporware at this point.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
At a friendly LBS that bike should cost $400 IMO......i think they are trying ride the SS wave....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've seen some SS roadies for a little bit less but they all had something I really don't like about them. If anyone can find something cheaper post it up.

I haven't checked with my bro-deal sources but chances are I would not be paying the full price.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
low level steel?
It's generic ChroMo, yeah?

(I don't consider Hi-Ten an actual steel.)

I've seen some SS roadies for a little bit less but they all had something I really don't like about them. If anyone can find something cheaper post it up.

I haven't checked with my bro-deal sources but chances are I would not be paying the full price.
My SE Lager is similar enough and half the price. (Got 2007 on clearance for $325)

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
why am i the only one who doesn't think 850 is out of the question for that bike?
Oh......$850 is absolutely nuts for that bike.

Just looking at the picture posted.
The seatpost, rims, cranks, saddle, hubs, and probably the BB are very low end. None of those components cost Salsa more than $10some are less then $5 i bet......they are charging $850 for the simplicity fad and riding the crest of the SS trend IMO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oh......$850 is absolutely nuts for that bike.

Just looking at the picture posted.
The seatpost, rims, cranks, saddle, hubs, and probably the BB are very low end. None of those components cost Salsa more than $10some are less then $5 i bet......they are charging $850 for the simplicity fad and riding the crest of the SS trend IMO.
Read the spec list. I don't know what Salsa pays for things like the hubs and rims but they are not bottom of the barrel components. I haven't done the math but I don't think I could build up a bike like that for much less. I might be able to shop around for each component and find good prices but would lose my ass in shipping. My LBS hookup wouldn't want to cut a deal on a pile of pain in the ass to order parts but would probably on a complete bike.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Wow,
You guys are all a bunch of cheap bastards!
$850 is very, very cheap for a complete bicycle that is well made.
That frame, made from the same tubeset (a custom butted steel tubeset), castings, and painted in as many colors and made in the US by a skilled builder would need to be more than that just for the frame...

The casserole comes in eight sizes, likely necessitating at least 4 different downtubes and 3 different seat tubes, if not more.

The complete bike is made out of high quality aftermarket level parts.
It is a nice enough bike that somone who actually comes from cycling culture would consider buying one...

That SE by comparison comes in 6 sizes (all that can use the same tubes), and uses straight gauge tubing and bottom of the barrel OE parts. It has no provision for gears and has geometry that isn't good for anything except short urban rides.
It is a disposable toy designed to sell to college students, not a high quality bike for bike people....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't plan on getting a second road bike to be ridden to the local coffee shop while wearing a pair of manpris. This will be for my weekday 30-50 mile road rides and occasional dirt road haul. It should see a few thousand miles per year. I want a single speed to force my self to spin, I can already crank a big gear all day. It should also make the same old rides a little more interesting.

I'd just convert my current roadie to a SS but I want gears for my rides up into the mountains.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I see Tektro, Kalloy, WTB, low-end Sugino on that spec list.......not sure about Surley hubs....that's alot of bottom of the barrel components...

But i am more convinced it is a pretty nice frame now after being educated....

Lord Opie's new Brookes saddle it worth more than my current road machine and i get around just fine.........thats my perspective....