Quantcast

My office pictures

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Days like this remind why I love my job. These are from today, just west of Mountainair, NM. We are working on sections of track in Abo Canyon.

J

JRB

I have been seeing backhoes in gravel cars unloading ties this week. I wouldn't mind the railroad. Not a bit. A lot of that looks like Big Bend.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
loco said:
I have been seeing backhoes in gravel cars unloading ties this week. I wouldn't mind the railroad. Not a bit. A lot of that looks like Big Bend.
Yeah, we have several tie gangs that will travel around the country replacing ties from now until next winter. They can replace 500-600 ties per day.

J

JRB

Damn - I put in a spur (actually took up and prepped for the crew and assisted a little) and it would take me a couple of weeks for 500 ties.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I didn't bring my bike up with me, but I will be back here for at least another week and I'm bringing it with next time. I have access to all of those roads and there are some really nice spots to ride.

J

JRB

Wow - there are people here that think the railroad is its own culture. :think:

*you ever make it to Temple, Potroast???

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Potroast88 said:
Days like this remind why I love my job. These are from today, just west of Mountainair, NM. We are working on sections of track in Abo Canyon.

Oh man... you are making me so homesick. :(

I grew up over near Belen which is only about 40 miles from where you are.

Judging from the water in that arroyo, it looks like there has been a bit of rain or snow in the higher elevations.

I've been all over the southern end of the Manzano's hiking and hunting. Never have ridden over there though. I have some friends who live in Estancia who like to bike on the eastern side of the mountains. Somewhere near the 4th of July camp ground area...

If you get a chance check out the old spanish mission ruins at Abo and the pueblo ruins at Gran Quivera.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Potroast88 said:
We have rail gangs that can replace app. a mile and a half per day. That's a lot of rail.
Holy Sh*t... how many guys?

I worked on a railroad for a while in college... it was a little narrow gauge thing in Portland, Maine. We used to go up there on the weekends and work all day, drink all night, and work much slower the next day... even on a good day we only got a couple hundred feet done. Then again - it was all hand tools and one forklift...

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
loco said:
Wow - there are people here that think the railroad is its own culture. :think:

*you ever make it to Temple, Potroast???
Temple is in my district, but I haven't had to go there yet. Do you live near there?

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Slugman said:
Holy Sh*t... how many guys?

I worked on a railroad for a while in college... it was a little narrow gauge thing in Portland, Maine. We used to go up there on the weekends and work all day, drink all night, and work much slower the next day... even on a good day we only got a couple hundred feet done. Then again - it was all hand tools and one forklift...
A typical steel gang is about 50 men. They have machines pull the old spikes, take the plates off, level the ties, take anchors off, etc.. The rail is on a train in quarter mile sticks. There is a crane that threads the rail off the cars onto the ground. After it is in place, the machines come back through and re-spike the ties and put the anchors back on. When it is finished, trackmen come through and do quality. (knock down high spikes, etc.)
Its a lot of hard work and long days, but the money is really good.