Quantcast

My old-man line (read: pump/manual/jump/fly-out line)

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
So my project line at our trail spot is finally starting to run properly and is 2/3 done. As I love seeing other peoples lines, I thought I'd share.

So the concept is:
a) you can go slow, you can go fast
b) you can ride the line when you have hurt yourself, you can ride the line when you really, really need to avoid hurting yourself
c) you can pump the line, manual the line, jump the line, or any combination of the three
d) its fun

So its my old man line (not the line's trails name, thats not for the internet). Not to be confused with old man lines of the likes of Zach Dank, where the old and man might just mean you know how to go big and build well while drinking. Think gray hairs and a cane strapped to your back while rocketing through small sets :D.

Rough iphone pictures, but whatever.

drop in

roller/jump 1

roller jump 2

roller jump slight hip 3

berm 1

triple rollers

roller jump 4 into berm 2

roller with hip lip option

table set up jump

fly-out

berm 3

I know its not all buttered and could be prettier, things are already getting beat up, as this gets ridden while the main lines get faced and are left to dry/harden properly. But hey, its a roller line.

cheers.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Another old man that approves :thumbs: We've got a Warmup line at our spot. It's good to pop in, get a couple laps to "warmup" then either get to work digging or start sweeping/untarping the other lines. Also makes a good mid-session swap if you're getting bored with the other lines.

Berm 3 looks wicked - bet it's fun if you're young or old. Nice work on that line Mutt

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
I would ride that setup relentlessly grinning ear to ear the whole time. Looks so good!!

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
This line looks phenomenal! I think this is better than any big booter set I have ever seen.
Hahaha, its like apples and oranges really. even when jumping the line its so pumptastic and quick that you don't get that nice relaxed aired out feel that you do from a nice big set. But trails they are, as all the lines at the spot wind and wend through the woods with bermy goodness thrown in here and there.

hence why 'trails' are better than dirtjumps
yessssss on this point, and I'm sure TheTruth agrees, hence his use of 'big booter set' vs big lines/trails. There are no two identical (or maybe even in a straight line :rolleyes:) sets at our trails.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Super rad! I love roller jump 4 into berm 2. And roller with hip lip option! If that was my local trails I know there would be days where I'd ride just that trail all day!

tootall

Chimp
Apr 14, 2011
That is beautiful. I'm not even old and I think so. Something like that is what I think is the perfect line: lots of options, all rollable while being pumpable or jumpable, flowy and no gap jumps with vertical walls on the front side of the lander so that beginners can work their way into it instead of having to do or die launch them the first time. Every spot should have at least one line like that. It seems like CMC's Walnut Creek pump track is all lines like that.

meattray

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
oh man I too think its awesome! I am an old 42 year old with a job and family to support and think I need to cop some of this for my yard.
great stuff

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Thanks for the good words guys. I'm glad you enjoy it.

I was out rippin around this morning, and good gawd a couple laps got me sweaty and breathing heavy. I did forget to add 'warm up' to the 'pump/manual/jump' description. I definitely needed to stop and breath and relax before moving over to an actual gap line. My body just wanted to push through everything instead of going up UP.

And yeah, as tootall mentioned, we do get a fair bit of curious novices owing to the local racing-bmx culture and having something for them to ride without damaging the line or themselves, and progress on, is a good thing.

The last 1/3 of the line will be in the same vein, but definitely more relaxed when at full speed.

and nyhc00, yes :D, there is usually a lot of grinning going on when playing on the line.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Because of course........those are the only two options with nothing in between. :D
Lets just say that you were trapped in a giant glass dome, kinda like what happened in the simpsons. Inside the dome there were two sets of trails; the bight straight jumps, or the flow trails. I mean you would probably ride both because you are in a dome for chrissakes, but I would take a good guess that after a while the flow line would be more fun.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Lets just say that you were trapped in a giant glass dome, kinda like what happened in the simpsons. Inside the dome there were two sets of trails; the bight straight jumps, or the flow trails. I mean you would probably ride both because you are in a dome for chrissakes, but I would take a good guess that after a while the flow line would be more fun.
Bah!

I'd spend the rest of my life finding the transfer lines between them. :D

I'm just saying that you can easily combine the two.....it's not an either/or situation. What's shown here can also exist between big doubles. When that happens, that's where the true great spots emerge in my opinion. But I completely understand the need to 'just go ride' without scaring yourself. That's why most of the spots I've worked on in the last few years have more than just a line with big gnarly jumps in them.

Last edited:

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Bah!

I'm just saying that you can easily combine the two.....it's not an either/or situation. What's shown here can also exist between big doubles. When that happens, that's where the true great spots emerge in my opinion. But I completely understand the need to 'just go ride' without scaring yourself. That's why most of the spots I've worked on in the last few years have more than just a line with big gnarly jumps in them.
Yes, yes. its the whole dirt jumps vs trails thing. So the intent here is/was small trails. As you can see there are other lines at the spot, which I would mostly categorize as med progressing to big lines. But those aren't 'my' lines to plaster across the web :).

I've always thought of the straight and uniform lines as more for riders who wanted highly consistent, trick oriented jumps to push that specific skill set. And the trails-y lines for riders who want to push the experience and style of the sport. So one could consider that its more about rider/builder interest rather than quality of the build/dig. Than being said, I'm all for the creative and weird trail features!!

Just think about the thoughts that run through your head when you see that flip-whip mid-line at a contest vs a turndown or flatty mid-trails on some burly or funky hit that you'd probably be psyched just to be clearing smoothly. The two are not equivalent. Not to say one is distinctly 'better' than the other, but representative of a different skill set, focus and target audience.

My apples and oranges comment was more on the feel of this kind of line vs a traditional trails line. where you are a bit more pump-pump-pump working it on the little stuff vs pump and flow on the real gap lines.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
WTH.....do you pay an army of shovel groms with sourpatch kids and redbulls?
Hahahaha, I bribe forest pixies and gnomes with pizza and beer to dig while I sleep.

The grom army actually has been resurrecting the defunct original site of the trails a couple hundred yards away........ and I'm not so sure I'd want them working on this line anyway :). Although I'll be damned if it wouldn't be nice to have more help in trying to keep a high traffic (read: all weather, all the time :rolleyes:) line in good condition.

Dirty Maestro

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks DM, how are things going for you on your side of the island?
Things are real good these days. I got a few more Core diggers/riders coming to The Boons and have been changing everything up. You should come thru and ride with us. We have plenty of warm up jumps and pumps to get ready to go on the downhill jumps.

The Sound Beach crew came thru last week...and cult stopped by...

I like the line you built. Its something that could be built for the public. It takes more dirt and hard work but it will allow riders to learn and progress at their own pace.

Good Work Mutt:thumb:

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Things are real good these days. I got a few more Core diggers/riders coming to The Boons and have been changing everything up. You should come thru and ride with us. We have plenty of warm up jumps and pumps to get ready to go on the downhill jumps.

The Sound Beach crew came thru last week...and cult stopped by...

I like the line you built. Its something that could be built for the public. It takes more dirt and hard work but it will allow riders to learn and progress at their own pace.

Good Work Mutt:thumb:
That sounds great. You should swing by panamoka sometime too. I'll drop you an e-mail.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
I'm working on that. I have a little video/flash project I'm working on with it, which is just taking a while. But in the mean time, I will put together a simple vid and get it up here. Don't hold your breath though, we've got a week solid of rain scheduled out here :( and I need to shoot more vid yet.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Bah!

I see your point. I would get bored of going small all the time but I would also get bored of a straight line. Basically, the perfect set of trails is anything in a brian foster video part.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Well, the Monsoon season in the northeast US has put my video project on hold, so sorry for anyone interested in seeing the line being ridden.

After just seeing a photo of someone else riding the line, I also realized that I don't even have a photo of myself riding it! Ah well, the bad of poor media collection skills are balanced by the good of spending most time digging and riding.

Regardless, I thought I'd share the photo, Robbie M jumping the 'roller jump slight hip 3' before the first berm from when the Cult crew stopped by recently.

http://www.cultcrew.com/long-island-trails

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
That shot of Robbo is just like the stuff from his section in BASE Shady Bunch. That's cool that the Cult team stopped in. Trails look great in the pics Mutt

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Years in the making, the first video of my old man line!! And yes, before you get your hopes up, it is a POV and completely unedited/raw..... so its shaky, and you can't really see $hi+ well... but it is really fun to ride :D.

and no it is not quite done yet, I added seven sets and a big berm since this thread started, and pretty much made the whole beginning better and bigger and faster. two more sets to go and it'll be done.

also below is a pic of the last berm, which looks pretty small in the video (photo:Terra).

Lastly, free guided tour of panamoka to whoever can first correctly identify the gentleman heading off the starting hill right before me!