Quantcast

my one transferrable mtb->road skill...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
fixing flats. :mad: :mumble: :redhot:

TWO flats on the ride home today, in the span of less than 7 miles. wtf??? one was a piece of gravel near a railroad crossing (front tire), the other a similar piece of stuff i never even saw on fresh road in progress (ie, grooved road to new tar, w/ the attendent detritus all around); i hit it w/ both front and rear wheels and flatted the rear. my mtb pump could only get my tires up to ~25-30#, so it was gingerly ride home the rest of the way.

argh.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i thought it was going to be trackstanding. i love doing that at intersections just 'cause.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
the brake position is the biggest impediment to those on the road bike. i can't kick into them but have to do the ghetto-rock. yes, i've tried. :D

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Toshi said:
i thought it was going to be trackstanding. i love doing that at intersections just 'cause.
:stupid:
I have to admit though, I trackstand clipped out in fear of losing it. Few things look more pimp than trackstanding at an intersection. Werd.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
why do you get so many flats? I'm never going to get a real road bike with real road tires if this is what I have to look forward to.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well the opinions seem to be split between too low of a tire pressure, incorrect tire selection, or simple hamfisted steering.

fixing #1 is the easiest, so that's what i'll try first.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
laura said:
why do you get so many flats? I'm never going to get a real road bike with real road tires if this is what I have to look forward to.
I weigh 175 and ride Vittora 23's at 140 psi. I haven't got a flat yet in 1700 miles, and I run over glass and pebbles pretty often.

I think he's talking about taking his road bike down Yard Sale at Mt Snow without braking.
I think he's talking about deciding rather late that he shouldn't blow through an intersection, grabbing two handfuls of brake and slithering up to and over the stop line...

Did take a road bike down Snake Mountain in 1975, but I used the brakes.

Anybody up for a road bike on singletrack challenge?