Quantcast

My other hobby - Death Valley Report

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
nice shooting. too bad there are trucks in so many of the shots?! :D

and congrats for being clearly the youngest dude in a group of white people (first shot in the thread).

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Good memory Steve - 6 to 7 years is my best guess. Wasn't exactly sure how old he was when I got him.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
That's how I am too. I was just talking with a couple of friends tonight about possibly doing a Death Valley trip sometime near March when the area should be in bloom from all of the rain we have received in the last few months(well a lot of rain for the locals).
Where you at?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Very cool shots. Last time I was there was during the crazy wildflower year and all the hills were pretty colors:

Also, your report seems to have omitted an essential part of any Death Valley trip, although I certainly understand why there are no pictures if you did go. Of course I'm talking about the clothing optional hots springs at the oasis in the Saline Valley. It's remote and hard to get to even by death valley standards (the 50 miles of rutted out washboard that passes for a road turns back all but the most dedicated visitors) but it's worth the trip next time around.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yup exactly right. Edwards is about 60mi SW of where I'm at currently. The sad thing is that most of us have to go to the Lancaster/Palmdale area for any sort of shopping.

I take it you are stationed at Edwards then? Have you found any decent places somewhat close to ride?
Wow, sorry about having to shop down this way...what a PITA!

Mostly I ride local...on base. Lots of singletrack, little traffic. Have gone north to Tahoe and Kernville, and west to Frazier Mt area.
Looking to get down around Malibu, Valencia and Wrightwood this summer.
Anything up your way?

Very cool shots. Last time I was there was during the crazy wildflower year and all the hills were pretty colors:
Wow very nice photos. From what everyone is telling me, we have been getting quite a bit more rain lately than usual. Hopefully we get another crazy wildflower blooming this year. I'll definitely make a trip out there if that is the case.

Mostly I ride local...on base. Lots of singletrack, little traffic. Have gone north to Tahoe and Kernville, and west to Frazier Mt area.
Looking to get down around Malibu, Valencia and Wrightwood this summer.
Anything up your way?
Not much that I have found so far. We've got some stuff behind the local community college, but I'm not much of a fan of it. I moved down here from Idaho where I was used to super buff smooth singletrack through the trees. Here is a lot of open land with extremely sharp rocks and loose sand most places. It is decent, but not what I prefer riding. I'm sure with not much driving further north like you mentioned to the Kernville area or even further towards Mammoth it would be fine.

Last edited:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
That looks freaking awesome. I wish I could have unlimited money and not work, so I could have time to do some cool shizz
That, or you could take a week off of work, buy a used truck and camper, and join us anyway :D

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
...I moved down here from Idaho where I was used to super buff smooth singletrack through the trees. Here is a lot of open land with extremely sharp rocks and loose sand most places. It is decent, but not what I prefer riding...

Same here, I spent some time in Germany and Spokane before here, in lots of nice pine forests and rolling hills. Biggest thing here is watching out for snakes...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Wow very nice photos. From what everyone is telling me, we have been getting quite a bit more rain lately than usual. Hopefully we get another crazy wildflower blooming this year. I'll definitely make a trip out there if that is the case.
If I recall, that trip was in early March, but I'm not sure. They were calling it a "100 year wildflower bloom" and while I was glad to see it, the wildflower areas were by far the least interesting parts of the park. . . possibly because they were totally full of people coming to stare at flowers.

We spent most of our time up to the north and west and were happy we did. Also it was all the better cause we were in a chevy suburban borrowed from our college. We beat the crap out of that car.

One of these days I'm going to get another truck, sold my POS Rodeo last summer for a zippy little bmw, but it was certainly nice to be able to throw 1000lbs of toys in the back and head to the mountains.

I'd like to be able to have one car that is both fun to drive and useful, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I remember seeing a link to Wander thread on here on another forum? I can't recall where I saw it. Always great to see another RM'ers other interests.