Quantcast

My political stand.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
After talking with several co-workers during breaks, I've come to the simple solution regarding the up-coming election.

First, whoever gets elected will have a boat-load of work to do to turn things around.

Second, and this one is the most important--- If you don't vote, don't bitch about it.

Thank you, I'm off my soapbox now......

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
After talking with several co-workers during breaks, I've come to the simple solution regarding the up-coming election.

First, whoever gets elected will have a boat-load of work to do to turn things around.

Second, and this one is the most important--- If you don't vote, don't bitch about it.

Thank you, I'm off my soapbox now......
This. Although I'll also add in "if you vote 3rd party instead of the lesser of two evils, don't bitch when the greater of two evils does things that you don't agree with."

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
OPB did a special on the backgrounds of each candidate. Every time I hear someone talking about voting for Romney... :twitch:

I know Obama didn't do as well as we all would have liked in his first term, but considering the teatards stopping anything from getting done has not made things easy, either. I do know I personally will be screwed if Romney wins. My company, my job, my means will be gone.

<edit> But I wouldn't go this far to bring my point home.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-florida-billionaire-warns-obama-vote-threat-to-jobs-10112012,0,4209465.story

A Florida billionaire has told his employees he could be forced to lay off some of them if U.S. President Barack Obama wins a second term, calling his administration a threat to their jobs.

David Siegel, the owner of Orlando-based Westgate Resorts, the largest privately held time-share company in the world, said in an email to the firm's 7,000 employees this week that he did not want to influence how they voted.

Siegel, an outspoken businessman known for his flamboyant lifestyle, and his wife were the subjects of a recent documentary called "The Queen of Versailles" which documented their efforts to build what would be the largest privately owned home in the United States - a $100 million, 90,000-square-foot mansion just outside of Orlando.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Computer Software can be built in China for a lot less than here. Say goodbye to small start ups in software (as seen during the GWB years).
But that's the case regardless of who's in office right?
Making crap in China has been more cost effective for decades.

What would an administration change do to suddenly make your company disappear?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But that's the case regardless of who's in office right?
Making crap in China has been more cost effective for decades.

What would an administration change do to suddenly make your company disappear?
For GWB it was VC funds being directed at off-shore investments. I would be surprised if the same didn't happen with a change this time around.

If CRAP is what you want, then China is the place to make it, I guess.

<edit>Think about what Bain Capitol has been doing to auto parts and convert it to software. Higher profits, lower quality, and awesome for the unemployment rate. Hell, Romney's tax records show JUST HOW MUCH he made by shipping jobs overseas.

If that isn't patriotic of him, then what is?

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Backdoors just make things like basic admin tasks easier. If there is a faster/better way to do it, better believe the engineers in China will find a way to screw it up. :rofl:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Yet with all the "made in China" that's out there, I recall 2 "companies" that pushed their wares in Shark Tank. Though the one, Mr. Wonderful Shark, kept saying how they could produce the item far cheaper in China, the 2 explained and were firm on making their goods in the USA so they could hire US workers and pay their share of taxes to help the local economy. Though the Sharks pushed, the Sharks respected the decisions and invested in the companies. And they STILL made money......

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Yet with all the "made in China" that's out there, I recall 2 "companies" that pushed their wares in Shark Tank. Though the one, Mr. Wonderful Shark, kept saying how they could produce the item far cheaper in China, the 2 explained and were firm on making their goods in the USA so they could hire US workers and pay their share of taxes to help the local economy. Though the Sharks pushed, the Sharks respected the decisions and invested in the companies. And they STILL made money......
Didn't see that episode, but they should have said that Made in the USA was an integral part of their marketing plan as opposed to the feel-good "hiring local and helping the economy" bit. There are plenty of companies who make items in the US and MARKET THE HELL OUT OF THAT ASPECT. Just look at American Apparel. Or Weber (for some of their products). If you can come close in price and can specifically tell the story of making it here, people will support it. The problems arise when either you can't tell the story, or it's ~500% more just to make it here.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
It took you this long to come up with that, didn't it. :think:
been busy researching in my bid to decide b/t salsa horsethief & stumpie comp fsr

stimulating the economy is harder than mapping kenyan geneology

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Didn't see that episode, but they should have said that Made in the USA was an integral part of their marketing plan
Or better yet, an integral part of their competitive advantage. For us, building in the US is cheaper, faster, more flexible and higher quality/lower risk. The fact that some customers will get a boner over the flag sticker is just a bonus.