Quantcast

My props to the Blackrock builders

L

luelling

I went up to Blackrock today and ran into an older guy in the parking lot (59 if you must know). We spoke for a few and he went up the hill. I went up to Basic for a bit and stated the long hike/ride up the hill and I ran into him again. It was great talking to him, we walked and talked for a long time and he was excited to be out mountain biking and really liked the area.

He had a map (which I actually don't have) and I helped point him to the trail he wanted to ride down. Overall it was a great experience, he was asking a lot about the bridges and jumps and he was talking about how he recently bought a house in Fall City and wanted to ride up there for fitness/losing weight. He was having fun and I actually saw him back in the parking lot and asked him how it went...and he had a lot of fun.

The guys putting time in up there have done a great job, and I think this is the perfect example. This guy literally just bought a bike and wanted to go up there and have fun....and he did! The varying levels of trails really helps promote mountain biking to this group of people. I know I don't dig, but I try to help everyone out with trails and showing them around when I'm up there (I actually stopped and helped some out of town riders on the way there...they ran outta gas). I think Blackrock is the best thing going in Oregon, with the organization and positive atmosphere. GREAT JOB, keep it up!!

Pullshocks

Chimp
Mar 2, 2005
I have to go down to Salem in a couple weeks and I'm going to bring my bike and check it out. How does it hold up if the weather is rainy?

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
As long as it doesn't rain for days leading up to your visit it'll be fine. If it rains to much Basic training gets kind of sloppy but the rest of the trails hold up pretty well. The guys that have put so much effort out there have done a great job with trail construction and maintenance. Definitely
bring your bike, and if you see some of the guys doing trail work stop and thank them for advancing this sport in the Pacific northwest.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Andy, once we get the four-bike rack on the Xterra you and Pip should join us for a day trip down there. I love that place, and it sounds like they have been busy building down there this winter!

Big props to the builders from me, they are running an excellent program of building and community relations down there. It's an example for everyone in out sport to follow.

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
It's northwest of Salem. Look on a map for the town of falls city.
Driving directions to the trailhead from I-5 / Salem (drive time: 50-60 minutes):
* From I-5, take exit 258 (North Salem / Fairgrounds / Amphitheater).
* Turn Southwest onto Portland RD.
* Continue on Portland RD to Marion Street (follow signs for “Dallas / Ocean Beaches”).
* Turn onto Marion Street heading West to reach OR-22 WEST (you’ll leave town over Marion Street bridge).
* Continue on OR-22 West to Dallas (approx. 9 miles from Salem).
* Turn left off OR-22, continue on Ellendale AVE (follow Kings Valley / Falls City signs).
* In Dallas, bear left onto MAIN ST (you’ll see sign for OR-223 SOUTH).
* Turn right onto FAIRVIEW AVE – which becomes OR-223 South – follow out of town.
* Continue on OR-223 South to Falls City RD (approx. 9 miles from Dallas).
* Turn right onto Falls City RD, continue to Falls City.

In Falls City…
* Continue west on main road through town.
* Bear right before bridge onto Mitchell (do not cross bridge).
* Continue up short hill, Turn left onto dirt road and mark your odometer.
* Follow river about 3 miles. DRIVE CAREFULLY - this is Black Rock Road and used for logging operations
* Turn right just past “Camp Tapawingo” sign.* Continue ~250 yards, crossing over bridge / park at small area to right (do not drive past the gate – even if it is open).

You’ll see wooden Black Rock Trail sign. See trail map for details about where to
ride! Have fun!