Quantcast

My rides, part of the Transition Family

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
My new Preston...

I am running a 500lb spring and 150 psi and I weigh 240lb. Way to much SAG I talked to Fox and I need a 600lb spring and I could up the psi 15-20 and I should be good.
have you been able to take that thing to diablo yet how do you like it? what have you rode to compare it to. I was thinking about getting one and wanted to know how yours has been

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
I havent taken this Bike to Diablo yet just got her done hopefully this weekend. But I love the bike feels great and pedals well....Went to Wawayanda and did some trails that had some climbs actually alot of climbs :plthumbsdown: And it pedaled great , the preston wanted to climb everything it was me that was the problem..

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
sweet cause I'm looking for something i can ride some cross country with and also hit the free ride trails with. I'm basically choosing between the Dirtbag the Bottle Rocket and the Preston. there all so sweet i dunno what to do.

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
sweet cause I'm looking for something i can ride some cross country with and also hit the free ride trails with. I'm basically choosing between the Dirtbag the Bottle Rocket and the Preston. there all so sweet i dunno what to do.
Go for the 90% solution. Get the one that covers 90% of the riding you will do. They are all great rides, just each is a little better at one thing than the others.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
dirtbag or bottlerocket. i don't understand the preston, nor do i like the way it rides (from the one i have tested). it seems the covert has the more XC end covered and dirtbag has the freeride end covered. i like the lower top tube of the bottlerocket. however, the preston is just as heavy as the dirtbag and the bottlerocket. with a less standover. i'm glad others love 'em, but they are not my cup of tea.

btw - anyone see the new transition chainguides?
http://transitionbikes.com/2007/Components_Chainguide.cfm

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Everytihng you just described, I do with my Preston. Been rolling on it since early 05 and haven't even thought about needing something else for the job. The travel feels bottomless, it shines on XC rides, does even better on the dirt jumps and is a very fast and capable mini DH bike that I take to SnowShoe and Wintergreen a lot.

Mandown apparently doesn't share my viewpoints, and that's too bad....but I feel it's every bit as good as the other bikes in the Transition lineup and does XC better than the other two and is tighter on the dirt jumps than a Dirtbag. I regularly ride with two other guys---one on a Dirtbag and one on a Bottlerocket. We trade bikes often, and although I'm always impressed with the little nuances of each bike in the Transition lineup, I find myself still in love with my Preston. I think you'll be impressed with all of the things a Preston can do, and surprised completely at how a 5in travel bike can feel like so much more when you need it, and less when you don't.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Everytihng you just described, I do with my Preston. Been rolling on it since early 05 and haven't even thought about needing something else for the job. The travel feels bottomless, it shines on XC rides, does even better on the dirt jumps and is a very fast and capable mini DH bike that I take to SnowShoe and Wintergreen a lot.

Mandown apparently doesn't share my viewpoints, and that's too bad....but I feel it's every bit as good as the other bikes in the Transition lineup and does XC better than the other two and is tighter on the dirt jumps than a Dirtbag. I regularly ride with two other guys---one on a Dirtbag and one on a Bottlerocket. We trade bikes often, and although I'm always impressed with the little nuances of each bike in the Transition lineup, I find myself still in love with my Preston. I think you'll be impressed with all of the things a Preston can do, and surprised completely at how a 5in travel bike can feel like so much more when you need it, and less when you don't.
The more i hear about it the more i like it. Also i live on the east coast so i would be riding snowshoe and diablo and stuff like that. But since the 06 Dirtbag is on closeout I might have to go with that. I'll keep you guys posted.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Havent you seen my post in the previous page??btw...if someone knows how to put a bigger pic of the bike...it´d be great!!:cheers: :cheers:

Exactly I run mine at 150psi right now but when tweaking the bottom out drop the PSI.. I was talking to Push for like an hour the other day those guys rock I am defenitly sending it out to them for there tuning..

Hey Bball if you have any questions let me know I just built a Preston and love this bike its the best bike I have owned period...... I think we have talked before but this bike pedals period.... And I hate climbs but the preston loves them.. If you found a dirtbag closeout you can go for it thats another bike I like I rode my buddies and its nice if you can get it for a closeout price but I think the preston is a more versatile bike than the dirtbag.. But I am confused to you want a BR preston or dirtbag? Just wondering I forgot what we had talked about..

Sep 6, 2007
I have been wanting to jump into this forum for a long time. I just signed up. If I knew how to reduce the file size of an image I would through up a s$#% load of Tranny's. I personally have a Dirtbag and love it more every time I ride. I actually just got back from Diablo, perfect for it. I can only afford one bike, probably because of the specs).. I ride trails all the time including tech climbs. I'm not gonna lie it does take more effort to get up, but when it points down it's worth it. I would say it's more DH than freeride, but I am at Highland a lot, love to trairide, and after Diablo I realized that I love dirt jumps. Couldn't be happier.:clapping:

teeter

Chimp
Dec 26, 2006
That lime Double is f'n sick man. Im hopin to get a blindside in a month or two. ill post up the pics when it happens

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
my buddy Allen from the DropNZone claims to very impressed with his Blindside so far. as a DH racer, it seems like it would work pretty well.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
some men's stems are longer than others. and yes, the length will be played around with (from one extreme to the other, most likely).

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
My new baby! :banana:

After this photo was taken i have mounted a chainguide and shorten the chain...
I'm verry happy with the riding qualities of the bike, but the only bad thing about it is that my frends keep stealing it for a ride :huh:

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
GSWEET nice Covert and welcome to the family. i just added a covert to my rides and i love it.

SDG and others posting up there Double's sick rides.

i just love how Transition is taking off. super stoked!!

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I just got done swapping my ill-fitting OEM (from an Iron Horse) E13 SRS for a new Transition chainguide, and I put an '07 888 RC2X VA on a couple of weeks ago:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
incredibly sick bike carbuncle.
1) lower the seat, just so it looks better
2) cut the steerer down

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
incredibly sick bike carbuncle.
1) lower the seat, just so it looks better
2) cut the steerer down
Yeah, I need to cut the post (it's a cheapo Pricepoint that's like 400mm) so it will drop lower. I need to get a couple of rides in on it, swap spacers around and find the sweet spot for me on the fork and then I'll cut the steer tube. At 6' 2" I'm in no hurry to overshorten the front end! But thanks, I'm liking it on the first ride. I've heard alot of kvetching about the frame being heavy, but I'm not feeling it. It bunnyhops like a scorched rabbit and feels super-flickable in the short parking lot test I got on it tonight.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
finally got a trailside pic of my baby. (yes, i spraypainted the red spring on the romic ;) i'm surprised at how well that shock performs considering that it's 1/4" to short on the stroke.....still looking for an upgrade)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
loving it! i have no regrets of trading up from my demo. it just handles everything i ride so much better. i raced DH on it already and only noticed it lacking in the rock garden, compared to the demo. it's a DJ machine and i'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my hardtail because i never ride it anymore.