Quantcast

My rides, part of the Transition Family

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Flat Broke, I have been too busy to really take a look at my positioning. When I am seated my shoulders / neck sit directly above or maybe just behind my bottom bracket (seat WAY up, post clamped at middle of the rails). The top cap of my headset points straight at my face. Standing, I think my shoulders fall over my hub (super short cockpit).

The large would probably be more stable at speed in super rough conditions because it would be easier to keep your weight back. But the super slack head angle will help with that anyways, and having a bike that is on the smaller side will help keep the bike nimble even with the DH bike head angle. That is how I see it.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
I just got back from Adrenaline Bikes a little while ago. They were able to get their hands on that last white medium. With any luck, it will be here before the weekend.

Chris

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
"FLAT BROKE"
Congrats bro. on getting the bike you wanted, cant wait to see the build when its done. im sure you will be more than happy with your pick, rip it up bro. later.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I got an email from TBC the other day with a blurb about what they have planned for Eurobike:
Transition said:
We will be unveiling two new bikes at the show including our 5.5" travel all-mountain trail bike called the Covert and our new 3.5" travel dirt jump full suspension bike called the Double. All of the existing models will be on display as well and we have some very nice looking updates to many of the bikes, so there will be a ton to check out.
So I guess the Convert is the XC bike, the Preston is the light DH bike, and BR and Double are the DJ/Slopestyle bikes. Pretty full lineup.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
I saw that blurb on MTBR the other day. Any idea on the geo for the Double? Doesn't really matter as I already put the $$ down on the Vagrant, but hopefully there will be something about the Double that doesn't look good on paper to me so I don't get a nasty case of upgaditis in a few months. :D

The brown truck didn't have a white Vagrant on it when it stopped at Adrenaline today, so hopefully I'll have something to smile about on Monday.

Chris

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I just got my Preston FR in yesterday. I took it out for its first ride today around the streets and small trails of my town. It's awesome going to a full suspension ride after riding nothing but hardtails all my life. It's like riding a bike for the first time again - I want to know what everything feels like when I ride over it. And it feels good.

:)

Frame: 2006 Preston FR Large
Forks: Marzocchi Z1 FR III
Rear Shock: Manitou 4-Way

All other parts were cannibalized from my 2004 P.3.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Del, nice looking Preston. I have ridden hardtails all my life too but the Preston has caught my eye . . . perhaps next summer . . .
Let us know your impressions once you get some more ride time on it :D

I got some serious ride time in on the Vagrant recently and was having a blast riding some slow steep rock/boulder gardens. The bike feels quite maneuverable and responsive, considering its length and slack head angle. I am also very comfortable riding back behind the saddle, so comfortable that I need to remember that it does no good to sit on the wheel :hot:. The BB height is high enough to clear nearly anything but is not so high that the bike feels unstable. If I could change the BB height, I wouldn't :).

On more open stuff (and in the rock gardens too now that I think about it), the bike just screams to go faster. I am still fiddling with my positioning on the bike, my wrists are stiff after those rocks and I think it is due to my bars being a bit off - I am going to try rotating them so they sweep upwards a bit more (or maybe I should ditch the flat bars). Maybe the cockpit is too small for me but my old hardtail had a smaller cockpit and I never got wrist pain . . .

Does anyone have bushing slop in their Z1? I have a 2006 Z1 Sport and the fork has a tiny bit of slop. I am unsure if I can feel it while riding, but I can feel it if I grab one stanchion and the lowers with my hand and rock the bike. At first I thought it was just a notchy feel due to sticky seals but now I think it is slop. I think this may have had something to do with the 'top out' I though I was feeling earlier. Otherwise, the fork feels great. I can get it to deflect when I slam into big rocks at odd angles but the fork feels stiffer than my old 5" QR Z1.

gadafi

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
very nice....is that a Romic or Avy?
why didn't you wait for the 07 dirtbag?...i hope to get some pics in the next few days when the eurobike starts...

Jackson06

Chimp
May 7, 2006
Tampa, Fl.
It is an avy. I oreded the bike back in may. It took forever to get it then I had trouble with the rocco. I ditched the rocco and went with the best. Is the 07 going to be differant?

Jackson06

Chimp
May 7, 2006
Tampa, Fl.
Thanks MJR. My buddy got an avy and it was the Sh*t so I ditched the Roco and got one myself. It is the bomb. Oh yeah the Dirtbag took forever to get here not the avy. The avy only took about a week to get here.

gadafi

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
It is an avy. I oreded the bike back in may. It took forever to get it then I had trouble with the rocco. I ditched the rocco and went with the best. Is the 07 going to be differant?
i have no idea what the 07 will be like...i've heard it will have a 1.5" headtube...we will now in 3 days when Eurobike starts...

how does that avy feel?

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Well, my Vagrant came in yesterday, and today I got a chance to build it up. It's 90% complete, but that didn't stop me from taking it for a spin and falling in love with it. I have to give a big thanks to Bjanga and Summit for puting up with all my nagging questions. The medium hit the spot and the second I threw a leg over her, I knew I'd done right. After essentially having an idea of how I wanted this HT to feel since Jan 05, I can't tell you how fufilling it is to be so happy with how this frame feels. I'll give some more input after I get some dirt miles on it.

Vagrant1.jpg

Vagrant2.jpg

Vagrant3.jpg

The only thing I have to do is get a different deraileur. It looks like I need a top swing unit to clear everything properly. No big deal as the cable housings etc. are all cut and ready to go. 10 minutes and it'll be done.

I also have to give props to Adrenaline bikes in Tustin. When I picked up the frame, I bought an FSA Pig 1.5-1.125 headset. Today when I opened the headset up, FSA had included the wrong race in the box. Adrenaline didn't have another race handy, so they took the guts of pig, and gave me a complete Cane Creek sealed unit at no extra cost. That move saved me time, gas money, and just made me a really happy guy, so I thought I'd share that with other peeps that might shop in SoCal.

Chris

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Nice! The white looks great! I think our bikes are exact opposites, color-wise :busted:

Be careful leaning it over on concrete, I leaned it so far on my second ride that I folded over my cornering knobs and left a four foot long scratch with my inside pedal :D

The top tube is kind of shortish for me but I am glad I went with the Medium. The bike is super stable at speed with your weight low and back and it absolutely murders rock gardens.

I have a top swing derailleur, I originally bolted on my friends bottom swing but I could not get it to shift so I ditched it. The fat chainstays get in the way of the front derailleur and rear derailleur a bit, I have a zip tie threaded through some rubber tubing (electrical tape wrapped around the tie would work too) that keeps the rear derailleur from bumping the chainstay.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
"Flat Broke"
your bike is awesome, i think the white looks killer. its nice to see another happy customer of Transition Bikes, and its great to see that this forum and the fellow riders and fans of Transition helped you in making the right decision. rock on bro. enjoy the ride.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Nice setup broke! That's sick...stoked to hear how you like it on the trails. Took mine out the other night on my local XC loop and fell in love all over again. After about 45 minutes of climbing from my house, you get to the 'bobsled' DH - which is exactly as it sounds. A 1.6 mile long gully that has the most perfectly-manicured banks you can imagine. You get going so fast your body and bike are basically parallel to the ground below (horizontal) at the top of the berms. I've done it on my trail bike, 7" freeride bike, etc...but the Vagrant is by far the most fun - just soooo fast and balanced. :D

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
The bike F'n Rocks! The geo is exactly what I was looking for. After having it out for a short spin on dirt (legs definitely need some work and will now get plenty) I can say that the thing tracks awesome and puts me in a great position for most anything except for climbing. The front got a little light on seated climbs, but my technique is also nonexistant, so that can't really all be attributed to the bike. Even with my crude DJ2 up front the bike tracks great, rails turns, and is really smooth for a HT.

I ended up with an X Gen front der, but to get it adjusted properly for my chainline, it just kisses the outer lug on the 2.5 minions in some situations. Not a big deal as I'm going to swap to some high rollers to shave rotating weight and make the thing pedal a little easier.

This is the first time I have been out on the dirt since I busted up my ankle, and this frame did nothing but inspire confidence and made me feel like I had been riding it for years. If someone had a tight budget and wanted to build a capable all mountain/freeride rig, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this frame as a great "Do it all" base to start with.

I also want to thank Bjanga, Summit, and the crew at Transition again for pounding it into my head that I didn't really need the large frame despite my desire for a long top tube. The medium fits so well it's amazing and I'm nothing but stoked about this thing. Now I just want to get my legs back, and take this thing more and more places. Hopefully I'll be able to work into a Pike or Z1 on the cheap and finish up what is already a pretty nice package.

Kinda off topic, but what are some good recommendations for a comfy seat that doesn't get in the way. I weigh 250, so a perimeter framed setup with decent pading/flex/gel in the middle seems to work better than tons of padding on a plastic shell.

Chris

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
The bike F'n Rocks!
I am glad to hear that . . . I thought I liked longer top tubes until I pulled the trigger and rode the Vagrant :)

You are going to like the way a taller, squishier fork feels on there too. You might even want something heavier than a Z1, I do sometimes :biggrin:

ride26

Monkey
Nov 24, 2005
Henniker NH
well I got home late from work today...bumed out untill I check my messages...my LBS called to let me know my Preston showed up today:cheers: ....I need to try to get down there tomorrow beforw they close to pick it up ....can't wait to complete it and hit the trails:banana:

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
well I got home late from work today...bumed out untill I check my messages...my LBS called to let me know my Preston showed up today:cheers: ....I need to try to get down there tomorrow beforw they close to pick it up ....can't wait to complete it and hit the trails:banana:
Have fun with it - I love my Preston :happydance:

It pedals so much better than my P.3 and when I need to make it stick to the ground, it sticks. But when I need to get in the air it leaves that ground so easily.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
I'm pretty sure they are made in Taiwan, but a quick call to Transition would get you a straight answer from the source. I'm all for buying American when I can and I feel that there are still some companies/people here that are better with tools of the trades than in any other nation on earth. That being said, the welds on my Vagrant are just as tight and actually more consistent than the ones on my New Jack Flash, and that thing was scary clean as far as weld quality. The welds on those two frames are noticably cleaner than any Spcialized, Giant, KHS, or Kona I have personally seen or ridden If you're stressing about the quality of Transition bikes, don't.

Chris

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
i have a 06 Preston fr and an 06 trail or park and absolutly love both bikes.

specs on the preston -

fox 36 talas rc2 raceface diablos everything x.9 drive with evil DRS sun mtx rims on dtswiss hubs maxxis 2.35 minions

i dont have pics of the hardtail becuse i just got it bit its about the same as everyones.

Attachments

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
dirtbag
nice BR, the specs look sweet. i love that bike, how are you liking it so far? if i didnt have a Preston FR and a Dirtbag im sure i would have one, but all my need are covered with the ones i have.