Quantcast

My rides, part of the Transition Family

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
felt a friends and it was way too linear for my tastes. i figure the 66sl has tons of adjustments...which i like. and should be able to make it nice a progressive, along with my DHX coil

sickbullit

Chimp
Feb 23, 2006
i'm running an 06 66SL, and it's progressive as a mofo...lost of twisties and turnies to keep you happy.

I did clank it a couple of times at high speeds, in Keystone but it was a quick fix.

they take a good while to get broken in and dialed...you will run way more neg and way less pos at the beginning to get it to feel smooth.

and do not neglect the PAR...it helps with the bottoming/progressiveness.

jpk1080

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
hello. seems like many of you own and are knowledgeable of transitions line. i'm considering a transition frame as well. i'm leaning towards the bottlerocket or the dirtbag, but have also been considering the preston. i live in nc and do a lot of techincal riding as well as freeriding, but both aspects require lengthly climbs. love the bottlerocket, but from what i've read, its not designed for this and has a relatively short seat tube. for this reason i kind of changed direction, and was looking at the dirtbag. it only weighs a few more lbs than the bottlerocket, but offers a few more inches of travel so i thought the trade off was probably worth it, espeically if the dirtbag is a good climber. i'm kind of undecided as to what size i should get though. i'm 6'2, currently ride a med. cannondale jekyll. as of now, i'm thinking large, but i'd just hate to buy this frame, and feel like i'm stretched out, etc. i've heard that transition frames run small anyways, so any insight into this would be awesome. thanks for any help or suggestions.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
One of the guys with a Preston or Dirtbag can elaborate on this with personal experience, but I'd venture to say that the Preston is a more versatile bike in terms of going up and down when compared to the rest of the full susp line.

All too often we play our needs up in our head to justify buying a bigger/badder ride. Take a peek on the Transition site at some of the vids of the Preston and ask yourself, "do I go bigger than that?" If the answer is yes, then perhaps a Dirtbag is in order.

After you do that, then call the guys at Transition. They are very accomodating with questions etc. They actually ride the bikes, so their input isn't just regurgitated from a catalogue spec. I almost second guessed their recommendation on my frame size, but in the end went with what they recommended and I couldn't be happier.

Chris

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
"Jpk1080"
to give you a little insight i own a Dirtbag and a Preston FR, both bikes rock...... flat broke made a good point, check out the videos on Transitions web-site, compare what you see to what you ride and definetly call the guys at Transition, they know there stuff and will do wonders in helping. that being said, it sounds like you will be better off with the Preston, I am finding that the Preston covers all of my needs with no problem it can take the bigger stuf, and can climb like a mountian goat. the 2006 Preston is set up with 2 rear travel settings, 4" and 4.75" and rides like it has more. Transition has reamped the Preston and it will now have more travel, they bumped it up to a full 5" of rear travel. so now youll have a little more squish like the Bottle Rocket, but you also have the Frame geometry to climb up the mountain you want to smoke down. im 5'-8" and i have a med. and it fits me perfect. The Dirtbag is my "big hit" bike, i dont have it set up to do climbs right now so i dont try, but i did run it with a dual ring up front for a while and it can climb but its not easy, the rear suspension can be dialed in with a good rear shock but its not in my opinion a frame designed with doing big climbs in mind. the Preston really is a do it all bike, and it has been improved even more for the new year. if you have any other questions or concerns please ask, im happy to try and help, but make sure you call Transition, Kevin, Kyle and Cam will help you out and hook you up.

ride26

Monkey
Nov 24, 2005
Henniker NH
yeah like Transition said, give TBC a call they are real helpful and can help point you in right path..I also own a Dirtbag and a Preston both sweet bikes ..I'm 5'6'' and I ride a small in both frames
good luck

jpk1080

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
thanks the for the advice. i have seen a few pics of the new preston. looks like they've made some changes to the shock positioning. anyone aware of any other changes for 2007?

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
Transition will be releasing 2 new frames, one is called the Double, designed for 4x, and DJ, the other is the Covert, this bike is geared more towards the Epic cross country rides. this might not be totally accurate but it is what i have gathered so far, they will have the new bikes posted on the web soon. The Preston has been tweaked alittle as far as the Geometry goes giving it a little more rear travel, not sure really if they have done anything else, hard to improve on a bike that is perfect already. make sure you keep us posted when you decide to get a new rig.

jpk1080

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
i will. you guys have been more than helpful. initially i thought the bottlerocket was ideal but after reading some post, despite how much i like it, it doesn't sound like its for me. naturally having just come from a big bike, i looked into the dirtbag, but only recently have i started considering the preston. as of now i think i've narrowed it down to the dirtbag, sc heckler, and the preston. i'd love an intense 6.6 but they just cost a god awful amount of money. thanks again.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I agree that the tt feels short on the BR, but I still use it for all purpose riding. Drop the seat and point downhill and the bike feels as good as my Demo-9 on the big stuff.

I think I have to change my user name now that I sold the Dirtbag.:biggrin:

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
"JPK1080"
I would pick the Preston over the Heckler. i owned a Heckler before i bought my Preston and its a nice bike, but i think the Preston feels so much better and wont cost you as much to have a sweet build. you cant beat Transitions customer service or warranty, which they really back up. but again thats just one opinion, and the Heckler is a nice rig.

jpk1080

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
man, decisions decisions. now that dirtbag is saying the bottlerocket is a sufficient climber, its not making it any easier. i agree wiht you MJR about the heckler. santa cruz just isn't what it used to be. increased prices, ****ty warranty, questionable quality it seems on some. you really can't beat a lifetime crash replacement policy. i like the preston. if i did decide on it, i'd want the 07 which would be difficult to wait for. the only thing i'm wondering. i currently ride a cdale jekyll, 2003 wiht slightly over 4 inches of travel. i wanted something that felt a little more plush in the back, so i question if the 5 will be enough.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I'm a NC resident and have had nothing but fun on my 05 Preston. Before that, I had a Bullit, and the Preston feels like it has more travel than the Bullit ever did. I'm in central NC, and we have a lot of short, steep climbs that the Preston handles quite easily. When I head up to Pisgah, the Preston really, really shows its versatility. You can bomb the DH with no reservations on wether the bike can take it--feels like you have 7 or 8 inches of travel underneath you. Good small-bump sensitivity and, of course, takes the big hits like a DH bike. I can't wait for the 07 Prestons to hit the market. As sson as they're out, the 05 is going up for sale.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
the Preston does ride like a bigger travel bike than it really is, no doubt about it. it sound like all thats left for you to do is call Transition, once you talk to them you will know what you want, they know there stuff. to bad you didnt live near me, id let you take my Preston and the Dirtbag out to try, one sure way to figure it all out, jump on the saddle and rip it up.

jpk1080

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
yeah i'd love to test ride them. unfortunately, there aren't many dealers here. i live in orlando,fl now but grew up in asheville, nc. miss that place tremendously. i can't believe SC's warranty policy is now only 2 years, 3 for the crash replacement vs. transitions lifetime. make this a pretty easy decision, i just wish it were a little easier deciding which one i'd enjoy most. i hate to have to wait until spring to get my hands on an 07 preston. i guess they have several 06 dirtbags available now, but no bottlerockets until oct.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
hello. seems like many of you own and are knowledgeable of transitions line. i'm considering a transition frame as well. i'm leaning towards the bottlerocket or the dirtbag, but have also been considering the preston. i live in nc and do a lot of techincal riding as well as freeriding, but both aspects require lengthly climbs. love the bottlerocket, but from what i've read, its not designed for this and has a relatively short seat tube. for this reason i kind of changed direction, and was looking at the dirtbag. it only weighs a few more lbs than the bottlerocket, but offers a few more inches of travel so i thought the trade off was probably worth it, espeically if the dirtbag is a good climber. i'm kind of undecided as to what size i should get though. i'm 6'2, currently ride a med. cannondale jekyll. as of now, i'm thinking large, but i'd just hate to buy this frame, and feel like i'm stretched out, etc. i've heard that transition frames run small anyways, so any insight into this would be awesome. thanks for any help or suggestions.
my vote - bottlerocket. at 6'2" get the large. the seattube is long enough that you can get XC leg extension with a long seatpost (I am 6'1"). the large cockpit feels great for climbing. mine weighs in at 40lbs. the right build could shave another 2-4 lbs off.

i just did a weekend in mammoth. the bike felt great. it corners like a dream. i did not miss having more travel. however, i don't huck much. just my 2cents.

oh yeah, go through santiago at atlantic bicycle. no sales tax in fl :)

jpk1080

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
thanks for all the input. i ended up ordering the bottlerocket in black in size large. i'm most likely going to go with the dhx coil over the air, but still am undecided. i had a few other questions concerning this frame. one i wanted to make sure the rear dropout could still fit a standard quick release. also, i know this frame is FD compatiable, but wanted to also make sure i could run 3 chainrings. lastly, i was curious what people are doing about the headsets. i see several options. one being a normal fsa headset with the reducers. another being an fsa headset that i guess has the reducers built in already. i was curious what some of you are using and if you could provide me with specific links if possible to your headset. thank you.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
go coil (my own bias against air).
standard qr rear.
i got two rings and a bash, you can run all three.
i am running a fsa orbit xtreme headset. it reduces 1.5 to 1 1/8 (see goride.com)

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
On the headset deal, both Cane Creek and FSA make 1.5 to 1.125 adapter headsets that aren't too expensive. All the parts are setup with O.D.s that would be fore a 1.5 setup, but the ID of anything going around the steerer is 1.125. If you have a headset that you just HAVE to use, then use the reducer cups, but if not, no sense in adding another interference fit that may decide to loosen up over time. If you are buying new, the cost of a 1.125 headset and the reducers is more than a 1.5 to 1.125 headset. One last thought, get pricing from Transition on the shock and the headset with the frame. It might work out cheaper than buying those items from your lbs.

Chris

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
I would also go with the DHX coil, i have the DHX 5.0 on my Dirtbag and it is a sweet shock, i also have the Swinger 4-way coil on my Preston, also a good shock, im not a fan of air rear shocks. the FSA orbit xtreme is a nice all in one headset and you can get it from Transition for a nice price, they stock it. oh and by the way, copngrats on your purchase, the BR is a killer bike, wish i had one in my collection.

jpk1080

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
thanks for the advice. i ended up going with the dhx coil. i checked out go ride. i found the fsa dh pig i think that comes with the reducers for like 40 bucks i believe if i'm looking at the right thing. trying to get this build below 2000 bucks. i'm probabliy going to have to end up getting that 05' z1 fr 3 zocchi off pricepoint along with a 150 wheelset or so, then pray i can find a cheap build kit somewhere with some decent brakes. MJR thanks for the congratulations. i'm sure you'll be able to line up a BR sometime soon. can't part out the dirtbag?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
If you want a low stack height, you can run e-13 reducers and a Cane creek IS-2 internal headset (FSA makes an internal head set, too). Cane creek also makes a flush all-in-1 reducer headset.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
Sweeeeeeaaaat!!! you all have to check out the new and improved web site, Transitionbikes.com. new rigs, new threads, everything looks killer, employee Brad Walton has even released his line of clothing, Spectrum Tech Wear, check it all out. you will not be dissapointed.

ride26

Monkey
Nov 24, 2005
Henniker NH
alright guys I have question/problem
I got my Preston all put together today
I have a 2006 Preston FR...the frame is the 2006 before they changed the frame set-up...I wanted to know out of the 2 holes on the the linkage plate what is the setting for each hole ..I have the shock mounted in the lower hole and I bottomed out left and right..I only weight about 160-165 lbs???

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the lower hole is the 5in position and the upper is 4in

look at greyhound's preston, ^, he has his in the 5in position. you need a heavier spring to run in the 5in position.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
yeah the lower hole is the 5" setting my weight is 160 and im running a swinger 4-way coil on my 2006 Preston. my spring weight is a 600x1.5 but then you have the air assist to help as well, the shock performs flawlessly. what shock are you running on your Preston?

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
if you are running a romic on your Preston youll probably need around a 500#-600# spring, check with "greyhound" see what his weight is, looks like he has a 700# spring on his rig.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Yeppers.....#700 spring is what I'm running. I rarely ever bottom it out and I'm right at 200lbs. I like the 5 in. setting the best. The 4 in. setting is just fine, but the overall feel is more balanced with the Z1 up front in the 5in. setting.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I'm looking at a couple of used Preston's, but I can't find old geo charts.

Does anyone know if there are any differences geometry-wise among an '04, '05 and '06?

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
the geometry changed a little between 04 and 06, the 04s and 05s are close and have alittle more all mountain feel, its a steeper headangle by 1/2 a degree i think and the 06 is alittle more freeridish
i have an 06 and 2 of my friends have 05s there very simmilar but the rocker arms make a diferance in the feel of the bike alittle.

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
I have been watchin this for awhile, I might post my transitions up if I feel up to it. The 04 preston HAS THE BEST GEO of ANY of the prestons made period. What has been said is correct. The 05 was alittle more slacked out and came with stock 4 or 5inch plates. The 04 was the last year made with v brake and disc brake tabs. The feel on the 04 is unmatched and unsuprassed imo from anyother preston up to date. I run a 160mm 36 on mine to slack it out a bit and give it a little rake and it feels unreal. It eats up djs, dh, hucks, you name it.

As a add-on my Gran Mal is for sale, pm me with interest