Quantcast

My Riding Style

Which bike would be best for my riding style/terrain (all around)

• Total voters

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I know I should try before I buy (which I am going to do), but different bikes are better for different things.

I am 5'4 and weigh 125lbs, so 7" is enough for me as I want a lighter bike that can be thrown around and have quick handling.

I would use it for DHR (not completely serious racing, when they come up once in a while) / more FR (dh jumps, drops, rockgardens, fast trails, slow technical trails, etc..) and not alot of climbs. RIght now I only have a hardtail. My biggest drop on a rental dh bike at whistler was about 7'.

I am looking for a sub $1500 used complete bike. I would get a super t if it doesn't come with one and sell the original fork.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'll sell you my Iron horse SGS expert for $1000. 7" rear 6" up front(Sherman Breakout), burly enough for your needs. pm me if you're interested. You'll also get to try it out before you buy since I'm local.

Noah

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
If we can hook up I'll let you try out my Cove G*Spot. 6 inches rear with a Super T up front (7 inches). She's not for sale because I love her but you'll get a feel for how a bike like that rides and fits you.

You should try out as many different bikes as possible before you buy. I do think that buying used is a smart move. Later as you get more saddle time on the different bikes you can make a more informed decision about buying a new rig.

What are you riding currently?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Azonic Evolution w/ '03 marz DJ2 (5"). I would keep this because I use it for everything fr,dj,xc,urb. I have ridden tunnel on it 2 times. I smoked a kid on a stab there. My bike is fun and I can handle stuff like tunnel, it just isn't as fun because I am always on my brakes and I have to go slow. Tommorow Im am going to checkout clod springs with some friends.

Ciarian, I may be down there saturday. Could I ride it on the 17 mile wilson ride? What size is it?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'm thinking a bullit. If a bullit is set up correctly, can it handle 10' drops and still have good bump control? I wouldn't get a big hit becasue i don't like 24". I think a gemini would be right, but I'm concerned with cracking.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho 2005 - Downhill Dual Suspension Mountain Bike

What about that bike? Its a little cheaper. Or, is it more of a high speed/race bike?

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
mtnbrider said:

What about that bike? Its a little cheaper. Or, is it more of a high speed/race bike?

My friend rides that bike. It really is a downhill bike. dont try to ride up the hill with it, that would freaking suck! It's a good frame/bike, except the fork kinda sucks, the seals blow really fast. i've heard of them blowing out going over a curb. the brake line can have problems, sometimes, too.

I'd suggest you get yourself a bullit or stinky primo. Both are great bikes. I'm getting a stinky primo, myself. :D

goodluck,
jt.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
from personal ironhorse experiance and working in a shop that carries and swears by them. i would have to say the 7.3 or the .5 is your best bet. both you can find for sub 1500 if you look hard enough and (well maybee not quit 1500) but pretty close, and they are really light and easy to flick around. good friend of mine has a little bro that rides the point three and it suites him perfectly. hes actually smaller than you i would say and has no prob with it at all. so i would say go with the seven point series. the kamichu or whatever they are are really stiff and dont have the greatest suspension design on them.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
mtnbrider said:

get the 7.3 dude. have u been to foothill cyclery in SLO? my buddy owns it and just picked up iron horse. get the bike from them. theres one in the shop right now but its a 7.7

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
mtnbrider said:
I'm thinking a bullit. If a bullit is set up correctly, can it handle 10' drops and still have good bump control? I wouldn't get a big hit becasue i don't like 24". I think a gemini would be right, but I'm concerned with cracking.
for your weight i'ld go built or gemni and both can do 10'ers and still do peblles. But what are you conserned about cracking on a gemni? there built like the shiz. i'm 180lbs and i do 20' / 20' stepdowns on mine. i will break before that bike does. set up moto it weighs just under 40. my old big hit came in at 50 and i snaped a weld on that bike.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
THe '03 and older geminis have been recalled for headtube cracks. The '04s break too. SOme people on here have broken them.

I haven't been to foothill cyclery, where is it?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
The new Bighits have 26" wheels. They are amazing bikes, really capable. I did all sorts of stuff on it when I rode one for a year and a half. Yes, it will weigh 40 lbs, but it's a DH/FR bike. A Stinky and a Bullit would weigh the same if they had a Super T on it and FR parts.

Don't get a Bullit, they ride horribly compared to a Bighit (I've ridden both). However the 7.3 looks nice and could probably climb better than the Bighit.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I am going to ride an iron horse ain san luis obispo. How much does the 7.3 weigh?

Bullits are still pretty light even with a super-t

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mtnbrider said:
Azonic Evolution w/ '03 marz DJ2 (5"). I would keep this because I use it for everything fr,dj,xc,urb. I have ridden tunnel on it 2 times. I smoked a kid on a stab there. My bike is fun and I can handle stuff like tunnel, it just isn't as fun because I am always on my brakes and I have to go slow. Tommorow Im am going to checkout clod springs with some friends.

Ciarian, I may be down there saturday. Could I ride it on the 17 mile wilson ride? What size is it?
The Cove is a small (15 - 16 ''). I am heading down to San Diego so this weekend is out. Maybe next.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
mtnbrider said:
Are there any used 7points? Icant find any. I can't even find any pictures. Only big overview pics.
i doubt there are any used ones. they just came out.

and whose 7 point are u riding in slo?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I want to pedal the 7 point on the sidewalk at foothil cyclery and see how it feels.

I think im going to buy zarks sgs fr. Im going to ride it on cold springs tommorrow.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Zark said:
You're kidding right, he said $1500 for the whole bike! He's 15!!

The Inferno - probably not, but the 03 and older Fly's I have seen forsale for around that price, maybe a little more. I said an SGS or a 7 Point, he can afford that.

I suppose you know the guy, because I don't see where he stated his age. :think:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I rode an IH 7.3 at supergo the other day. The 15" fits me perfectly with room to grow. I like the feel of it. I think it pedals better than a stinky.

The people at supergo are really cool. They set up the suspension for my weight before I rode it for 4 min.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
hey patrick you should go with the 7.3 my friend john has a iron horse form super go and it is great it can handle anything especially the new dezine. the guys at supergo said they run small and gave my friend a to big of a frame though. But yes go with IRONHORSE!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, don't buy a bike from supergo unless you're a mechanic. They set bikes up like crap and don't know what they're doing (at least in my experiences with them).

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
take a look at the Sinister SplinterMX. its is a very nice all around bike. it will pedal and take anything you can throw at it. plus it gives the option of using a 1.5 fork.