Quantcast

My road bike....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...is slowly turning into an MTB.

Today I put a cheap MTB casette I had laying around on there, plus with the triple it already has...man, it should be way easier to ride. Since Im doing nothing but commuting on this bike, Im considering getting some of those plastic fenders...on that zipties to the downtube and one that attaches somewhere on the back.
Anyone got experience with those? I have no mounts for traditional fenders.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...is slowly turning into an MTB.
and you're slowly turning into a pvssy. Where's the marine who insisted we ride in 10°F weather with upwards of a foot of snow on the ground?

Just teasing, but seriously, why a mtb cassette? Is your area really hilly?

As for fenders, that's my next project too. So not much help from me. I think it comes with the necessary hardware to mount on a bike without the necessary BOs?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Actually, it is really hilly where i live, but that's not the main issue. The issue is that I sweat a whole lot when climbing on my way in, so I want to spin really easily where I can.
Ive hear the clamp-on's for the fenders can be pretty rickity if you dont have the little mounts, so that's why I was considering the plasti ones. Is that incorrect?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The issue is that I sweat a whole lot when climbing on my way in, so I want to spin really easily where I can.
Good reason. I was like that with my geared bike, but for whatever reason, I wound up at work sweaty anyways, so it didn't matter for me. Probably cuz I'm a fat sweaty pig.

Ive hear the clamp-on's for the fenders can be pretty rickity if you dont have the little mounts...
I can't answer your question directly, but can say that my new single-speed doesn't have any bolt holes near the saddle for mounting and I used the clamp-ons. They seemed a little loose, so I first covered the seat-stay area with electrical tape, put the clamps on and tightened down hard. They don't move at all.

I guess your roadie doesn't have any mounts at the drop-outs?

Maybe take pictures and post your efforts?

bikeforums.net has this topic regularly in the commuter and touring sections.

(I'd like to get a dedicated commuting forum here, but ya know, fvck that)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Damn, that looks identical to my Scott Cross bike!
Ive actually been wondering if the cross frame uses any different tubing or anything. I know there are some different brake mounts, and Im sure the stays are wider, but I'd bet that they use the same tubing/butting. Which is good for me because i want a roadie that will last, hopefully forever.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well, if you've the time and money, I'd buy a used fully steel frame, get an internal geared hub and start yourself on the path of the ultimate commuter :)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I would love to have an old schwinn, peugot or something else to tinker around with, but Im waiting for a yardsale deal to present itself.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Ive actually been wondering if the cross frame uses any different tubing or anything. I know there are some different brake mounts, and Im sure the stays are wider, but I'd bet that they use the same tubing/butting. Which is good for me because i want a roadie that will last, hopefully forever.
The fork is the same and the tubes, with the exclusion of the chainstay, look the same. My chainstay has a large machined piece that is against the bottom bracket, this allows for more mud clearance.

splat

Nam I am
.Im considering getting some of those plastic fenders...on that zipties to the downtube and one that attaches somewhere on the back.
Anyone got experience with those? I have no mounts for traditional fenders.
I have one of those rear Fenters that Attaches with a clamp to the Seat post , it works really well, I used it today even . I have also tried the one that zip ties to the down tube , that really didn't do much so I don't sue it any more.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have one of those rear Fenters that Attaches with a clamp to the Seat post...
I used one, did nothing to keep the bike, especially the drivetrain, clean.

I'm starting to look into full wrap fenders with little rubber flaps at the end so curb-drops don't rip them off, but still help.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, that's just the type of fender Im thinking about for the back...sucks that the front ones dont work so well. I dont really have any other way to mounth them. Thanks tho.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
While I lack the photographic evidence, I do sport a set of SKS road biked fenders. They can be attached with zip ties or rubber fasteners. My only complaint is the fenders tendency to slide down on rough roads. That was pretty easy to fix with silicone caulk - anyhow these fenders will give good protection in rain.

Race Blade Fenders

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Similar to the fenders SM posted above are the planet bike version:
Planet Bike EZ fenders
If I recall correctly, they're slightly cheaper than Race Blades. I have not personally used them, but I do use a more permanent PB fender set that has held up well.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
In my limited research, I've heard more praise for the SKS Fenders, but people seemed to like the mudflaps more from the PB EZ Fenders. Go figure.
...but I do use a more permanent PB fender set that has held up well.
well, whatcha actually use?