Quantcast

My roommate just got a pet rat

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
So I come home from class yesterday and find my roommate and his girlfriend holding a rat. I think to myself, "Oh, [insert girlfriend's name here] got a pet rat and she came over to show it off."

Wrong.

The girlfriend bought the damn rat for my roommate. It's his. And now it's living in our apartment.

I don't mind rodents. I used to own a hamster. I can handle having a rat in the house.

What I can't handle is when my roommate takes the rat out of its cage and lets it run around and piss and crap all over our living room carpet. I'm also not a fan of when he lets the rat run around on our kitchen counter, which happens to be the place where we PREPARE OUR GODDAMN FOOD. :mumble:

The rat hasn't even been in his possession for a full 48 hours, and I've already had to request that he keep the rat off of the carpet and countertops. Not good.

My roommate and his rat get a :stosh:.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Hmm...a Corn snake or ball python?

Maybe a small dog...with three legs so it evens out the playing field a bit. You could potentially have a few good hours of beer/spectating fun on your hands

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Spero said:
Maybe a small dog...with three legs so it evens out the playing field a bit. You could potentially have a few good hours of beer/spectating fun on your hands

Bwhhahahahahahahaha

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Time to buy a tarantula or snake, I think.

Or a 3 man slingshot, and have some buddies help you lob it a few blocks away.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
dexterq20 said:
Can't, I'm allergic. :(
these are hypoalergenic

Either that or just get a regular cat and stock up on some benedryl for a little while. I mean really how long will it take the cat to do its thing? :thumb:

However the snake idea isnt bad either. They are even lower maintenance.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
My sister has 3 rats...she loves them, says they're great...I don't see the appeal. Unless it can train turtles to fight crime with ninja skills I say bitch out your roommate to keep the thing in its cage, or at least in his room. Or step on it.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
leave your door open for some air...
let it run free it doesn't need your help to survive. look at NYC rats. they are HUGE

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
If you can do this with a hamster, do it with a rat. Get your own rat. Fight it out to the death.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Drunken_Ninja said:
i would suggest a bb gun. leave it in the cage but at least distance the cage a good 5 feet to make it a challenge
we got a bird feeder/bird seed cake thing a few weeks back and hung it off the fence. one day the wife says, "there's a rat on the bird food!".

by the time I got my bb gun out, the bastard had run off.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Pau11y said:
BB guns? Make it a bit more sporting, use a wrist rocket.

screw that, I'd miss. also, I don't own a wrist rocket, I do own a bb gun.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
Rats are awesome pets. When we had dorm checks in school, I just hid the cage behind a flag I had hanging in front of a recessed bookshelf. Ther're super smart, very clean, and mine likes beer!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
and their fecces can led to the hanta virus.

I can't spel iether

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
pnj said:
and their fecces can led to the hanta virus.

I can't spel iether
What a nasty little bug that is.

I was super paranoid about that stuff hiking in S.Utah.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
You could just take the easy way out, and feed it antifreeze when your roomate isn't home.
That would solve your problem fast, and neatly.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
She should have asked you if it's cool. If you can't (or won't) tell her to get rid of it because you don't want it around, maybe someone else can.

So for example, how does your landlord feel about rats?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
OGRipper said:
She should have asked you if it's cool. If you can't (or won't) tell her to get rid of it because you don't want it around, maybe someone else can.

So for example, how does your landlord feel about rats?
UCSB loves 'em, they call 'em "students" :D