Quantcast

My scalloped potatoes are teh suck

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I've been using the Joy recipe: sliced taters, layer with sprinkled flour and dots of butter, fill up with milk, bake.

Boring, grey, they get a :plthumbsdown: :plthumbsdown: from my family.

Is it the 1% milk? Should I just load them with cheddar, bacon and onions?

Help, I need a better recipe.

gg

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I've been using the Joy recipe: sliced taters, layer with sprinkled flour and dots of butter, fill up with milk, bake.

Boring, grey, they get a :plthumbsdown: :plthumbsdown: from my family.

Is it the 1% milk? Should I just load them with cheddar, bacon and onions?

Help, I need a better recipe.

gg
You can never go wrong when combining cheese and bacon w/potatoes....NEVER!!! :pirate2: I have yet to find a healthful, tasty recipe for scalloped potatoes. All of them end up grey and boring....sigh...so just go big or go home...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
You can never go wrong when combining cheese and bacon w/potatoes....NEVER!!! :pirate2: I have yet to find a healthful, tasty recipe for scalloped potatoes. All of them end up grey and boring....sigh...so just go big or go home...
Exactly. "low-fat" and au gratin are contradictory.

BillT

Monkey
You can always add cheese between the layers - I find gruyere to be nice. Also salt, pepper, maybe some basil and garlic. You can sub either heavy cream for the milk or chicken broth as a healthier alternative. When baking, uncover for the last 15 or so minutes to brown the top.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Here is one that I use (although, I haven't made them in a while):

1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
dash of nutmeg
3 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, not rinsed

Optional Add-ins:
Ham chunks (mix in with the potato layers)
crumbled bacon on the top for the last 5 minutes of cooking

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook onion in butter until soft, add flour and cook for 2 minutes, whisking. Whisk in milk and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add the nutmeg and 3/4 cup of cheese, stirring until melted; season with salt and pepper. Layer half of potatoes in a baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with half of sauce. Layer remaining potato slices on top of sauce and season. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

I think this serves 4.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
http://southernfood.about.com/od/scallopedpotatoes/Scalloped_Potato_Recipes.htm

One thing you might try is to make a bechamel sauce first (with or without cheese) and then add it to the potatoes, like the first recipe here. (I found that in about 10 seconds, a bunch of good ideas.) Also, don't be afraid of salt, and definitely uncover during the last part of the cooking. Personally I love browned cheese on top but I guess you could make it work without cheese. Never met a potato cooked in stock that I liked much.